So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, That Ain't an ROK! ASL 206 Big meaty scenario. The NKPA stayed together, with the reinforcements going into the fight for the board 50 woods road. My US command group was destroyed, with one leader escaping. The US troops along the board 50 road gave a good fight, inflicting damage on the North Koreans. Losing both 75mm RCLs was painful. I kept a solid line on the stream, guarding the small hill and exit from 50. This helped a lot, The NKPA could not break this line, and then lost the foot race to exit when the US pulled out from this last position. A CH against the at start 82mm MTR on T2 helped too!

Nice scenario with options for both sides.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I snatched a LOSS from the jaws of victory in J146 Ragnarök vs Will ~ a really cool puzzle of a scenario nonetheless

.. and was thrown off schedule by Korean construction workers (IJA conscripts) squirrelling in and out of tunnels and caves at night in the Second Assault Period of Gavutu-Tanambogo CG (serves me right for playing the designer himself .. )!!

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
A teaching game of T4 Shklov’s Labor Lost at Chimeracon in Dublin yesterday. A tournament sized Board One slugfest with elite Soviet and German infantry, two (2) 10-3s (one for each side) gives this an odd flavour, althhough it’s clearly a very old design. The Germans have six turns to cross a couple of streets, so there’s an extensive Prep Fire assumption baked in which doesn’t withstand the attention of a comprehensively modern* player, such as yours truly. Presumably back in the 80s Prep Fire was obligatory by law, but not anymore - in this modern age, we can choose to move!

Couple aeons-of-time with plenty of Stug and infantry grenade smoke, well... the boys from Grossdeutschland Regiment hardly broke a sweat. Decline prep, smoke, dash.

So, not recommended.

* I’m under the age of 46**, as opposed to being >=46 (ancient) like most of you guys.

** 46 has been empirically proven to be a threshold demarcating the vivacious and youthful from the aged and decrepit.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
** 46 has been empirically proven to be a threshold demarcating the vivacious and youthful from the aged and decrepit.
Hah! Seems that I might have just crossed your red line a couple of days past. But - young padawan - we know that you can't help yourself to come nearer. And we are waiting on the border for you to teach you that the supposed aged and decrepit can get pretty lively with some clubs to set you right... :cool:

von Marwitz

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A teaching game of T4 Shklov’s Labor Lost at Chimeracon in Dublin yesterday. A tournament sized Board One slugfest [snip]

Couple aeons-of-time with plenty of Stug and infantry grenade smoke, well... the boys from Grossdeutschland Regiment hardly broke a sweat. Decline prep, smoke, dash.

So, not recommended.
The designers and play testers were aware of smoke and dash and even VBM Freeze back in the ancient 80s, and the Russians must be dealt with before controlling the necessary buildings. Sorry you cannot recommend it, but I am pretty sure it is not usually the walk over you describe.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tod's Last Stand SP 22 Fun small scenario from Schwerpunkt issue 2. My Brits ran headlong for the farm, and found the German HIPsters the hard way. Some of the HIPsters got into the farm, which made crossing the road in front of it difficult, as the main body of the German attack was pressing in as well. But, once inside the farm, things got much better for the
King's men. I was able to hold onto the big barn-43O7, and the big house- 43M9, through the final CC phase. Good scenario.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Tod's Last Stand SP 22 Fun small scenario from Schwerpunkt issue 2. My Brits ran headlong for the farm, and found the German HIPsters the hard way. Some of the HIPsters got into the farm, which made crossing the road in front of it difficult, as the main body of the German attack was pressing in as well. But, once inside the farm, things got much better for the
King's men. I was able to hold onto the big barn-43O7, and the big house- 43M9, through the final CC phase. Good scenario.
Played that one a couple of months ago. Here's the AAR:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/sp22-tods-last-stand.136615/

I believe this is pretty tough on the British. At least in my playing, my Germans were able to annihilate/capture the British force to the man.

von Marwitz

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A few more scenario AAR's uploaded to my blog. Latest one 91 Ad Hoc At Beaurains saw a lot of action trying to stop those twelve Matilda's from making it of fthe map.

The reworked scenario (from an old Annual) played well

Ian

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
FT209 Euphrates Clash

Played this at our Saturday Twin Cities ASL gathering. It's an interesting scenario where early war Free French are garrisoning a town in eastern Syria and are attacked by Bedouin tribesmen who, for whatever reason, bore a grudge against the French for gobbling up much of their land after WWI. We diced for sides and I was the French who set up a substantial force of infantry in a two-hex stone building on board 3b, and a much weaker force of infantry and unarmed, unarmored vehicles on board 9b. The Bedouin can win by taking the building or by accumulating sufficient CVP and outscoring the French (the vehicles count 2 points). The Bedouin set up four or more hexes from the French and have T2 reinforcements (including three cavalry counters).

My opponent, returning after a long absence from ASL, hedged his bets. He surrounded the vehicles with a substantial but not overwhelming force then bracketed the building with three squads on either side (presumably waiting for his T3 reinforcements to make a run at the building). This was a case where the French set up first and move first. I opted against mounting the vehicles and making a run for it (too risky). So I huddled them in some grain, getting a little protection from hedges (the Bedouin immobilized one of them in the process). Two half squads manned the hedge and my 9-1, 4-5-7 and LMG got into a wooden building. They were holding out while I sallied forth from the building and overwhelmed the three 3-3-7s blocking the way to the vehicles. My opponent was not expecting the attack and his squads were not in good cover. I racked up some CVP and on T2 was able to undermine his force surrounding my vehicles.

Seeing that the CVP victory was out of reach, my opponent went for the building with his reinforcements. I had made a mistake a gave him a clean approach to envelope the building. He did but was was too aggressive in trying to get units adjacent to the buidling. My MMG and a couple of squads broke many of his units. Later, my sallying force was able to return and assist with the defense of the building and, with most of his squads broken, my opponent conceded.

At first, I was thinking this favored the Bedouin but now I think it favors the French. The 3-3-7s (by SSR not having underlined morale) aren't much of match for elite and 1st line French squads. I think the Bedouin's best chance is to concentrate all out on the vehicles and set up to screen the French forces in the building from assisting their comrades.

Last edited:

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FT209 Euphrates Clash

Played this at our Saturday Twin Cities ASL gathering. It's an interesting scenario where early war Free French are garrisoning a town in eastern Syria and are attacked by Bedouin tribesmen who, for whatever reason, bore a grudge against the French for gobbling up much of their land after WWI. We diced for sides and I was the French who set up a substantial force of infantry in a two-hex stone building on board 3b, and a much weaker force of infantry and unarmed, unarmored vehicles on board 9b. The Bedouin can win by taking the building or by accumulating sufficient CVP and outscoring the French (the vehicles count 2 points). The Bedouin set up four or more hexes from the French and have T2 reinforcements (including three cavalry counters).
Are you padding your win record against newbies again? Come to Wisconsin and play some more experienced players.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The designers and play testers were aware of smoke and dash and even VBM Freeze back in the ancient 80s, and the Russians must be dealt with before controlling the necessary buildings. Sorry you cannot recommend it, but I am pretty sure it is not usually the walk over you describe.
Any time my opponents wants take one of his precious armor assets and VBM freeze my 10-3 leader, I will let him. :eek:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This afternoon, I had the pleasure of playing WO19 “Through The Dragon’s Teeth.” I found it to be an interesting scenario for a number of reasons:

1) It’s a manageable size engagement between Marine Raiders and the 6th Kure SNLF.

2) Both sides get some interesting toys. The Japanese get two 140L naval guns and a pair of twin 12.7mm Type 93 machine guns (with 12! IFE). The Marines get 3 60mm mortars which can be swapped for a 4 FP OBA battery per their Chapter H note.

3) The basic tactical problem is intriguing. The Japanese must conduct a fighting withdrawal across board 38 (with the overlay 1 village) over the course of 6.5 turns. Though at first glance the SNLF is desperately short of infantry (being outnumbered by more than 2 to 1 in squads by the Raiders isn’t a pleasant proposition), the combination of HIP units, ordnance, and the terrain can really hamper the Marine advance.

4) In my opinion, actions in the Central and Upper Solomon Islands, and New Georgia in particular, are underrepresented in the ASL scenario library. From a design perspective, “Through the Dragon’s Teeth” is an example of playability placed above pure simulation. The maps depict an area substantially larger than the actual Enogai peninsula. These maps also vastly understate just how difficult the terrain is in northern New Georgia. If anyone tried to make a HASL map of the region, it would probably bear a fair resemblance to Suicide Creek. Taken together, these factors provide both sides with better maneuver opportunities, making for more interesting gameplay.

In our version of history, Japanese were able to hold the Americans off. One important factor was that the Marines took very heavy casualties among their leaders, ending the game with only one left of the original four. The 8-0 bearing the radio for the mortar OBA was one of the first to fall, further handicapping the Americans.

As the Raiders entered the village on board 38, one of the Type 93s hidden in the tree line to the north opened up, forcing the axis of attack to the West. About a platoon made it to the village on Board 62, but they were too few in number to secure all of the necessary hut hexes.

The Year-3 Type guns, emplaced along the shore line, remained HIP, having never fired a shot.

I had a lot of fun with this one, and I would happily play again, as either side.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played from the latest SP release the Tjiater Pass, a Japanese assault on a fortified pass in Java. Given the generous amount of equipment in the hands of the defender, this is where as attacker you hope for a moment of inattention from the other side. But such moment was not to be and the attackers were slaughtered with no or very little casualties on the other side to account for their futile bravery. Japanese concede on T4.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Played from the latest SP release the Tjiater Pass, a Japanese assault on a fortified pass in Java. Given the generous amount of equipment in the hands of the defender, this is where as attacker you hope for a moment of inattention from the other side. But such moment was not to be and the attackers were slaughtered with no or very little casualties on the other side to account for their futile bravery. Japanese concede on T4.
Pretty much my experience with that one.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This afternoon, I had the pleasure of playing WO19 “Through The Dragon’s Teeth.” I found it to be an interesting scenario for a number of reasons:

1) It’s a manageable size engagement between Marine Raiders and the 6th Kure SNLF.

2) Both sides get some interesting toys. The Japanese get two 140L naval guns and a pair of twin 12.7mm Type 93 machine guns (with 12! IFE). The Marines get 3 60mm mortars which can be swapped for a 4 FP OBA battery per their Chapter H note.

3) The basic tactical problem is intriguing. The Japanese must conduct a fighting withdrawal across board 38 (with the overlay 1 village) over the course of 6.5 turns. Though at first glance the SNLF is desperately short of infantry (being outnumbered by more than 2 to 1 in squads by the Raiders isn’t a pleasant proposition), the combination of HIP units, ordinance, and the terrain can really hamper the Marine advance.

4) In my opinion, actions in the Central and Upper Solomon Islands, and New Georgia in particular, are underrepresented in the ASL scenario library. From a design perspective, “Through the Dragon’s Teeth” is an example of playability placed above pure simulation. The maps depict an area substantially larger than the actual Enogai peninsula. These maps also vastly understate just how difficult the terrain is in northern New Georgia. If anyone tried to make a HASL map of the region, it would probably bear a fair resemblance to Suicide Creek. Taken together, these factors provide both sides with better maneuver opportunities, making for more interesting gameplay.

In our version of history, Japanese were able to hold the Americans off. One important factor was that the Marines took very heavy casualties among their leaders, ending the game with only one left of the original four. The 8-0 bearing the radio for the mortar OBA was one of the first to fall, further handicapping the Americans.

As the Raiders entered the village on board 38, one of the Type 93s hidden in the tree line to the north opened up, forcing the axis of attack to the West. About a platoon made it to the village on Board 62, but they were too few in number to secure all of the necessary hut hexes.

The Year-3 Type guns, emplaced along the shore line, remained HIP, having never fired a shot.

I had a lot of fun with this one, and I would happily play again, as either side.
If you're short of ordinance you can always use the rule book, now big guns (ordnance) may be a different matter. :p:D Good review BTW though. Hopefully see you next month.:thumbsup:

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you're short of ordinance you can always use the rule book, now big guns (ordnance) may be a different matter. :p:D Good review BTW though. Hopefully see you next month.:thumbsup:
Don't you just love typos? Thanks for pointing that one out... I've corrected my original post.