So what scenarios have you played Recently?

buser333

Reaction score
ASL9 To The Square
This truly is a game of inches. I was playing "TO THE SQUARE" and as Soviet I was on the verge of breaking through. I had a half squad surrounded in a building (on three sides) and was going to pounce on him in Close Combat. He was marked "first fire" and had a 447 to contend with.
Out of desperation, my opponent, Jeff, decided to shoot anyway: 2+3. He rolls snakes (2nd consecutive!) which means PTC for me. Which I fail. (Obvs). So, in his prep fire phase, the still-free half squad finds a P Faust and rolls an 8, hitting a T 34/85 and lighting it on fire. I also bogged a T 34/85 going through wire. These two events together were enough to cause me enough pause
If he misses that PTC, my T 34/85 had a pretty clear shot (even with the bog) to the board edge, along with my three other tanks, for 28 out of 30 required exit VPs. I needed to bring a squad with me (easily done) for the win. The rest of my infantry would simply keep the rest of his infantry at bay and allow me to escape (post game, he revealed his hidden AT Guns, and they would have needed pretty good shots just to hit, given their CA, etc).
Instead, I needed to bring those accompanying infantry with me, and given the ground covered by his leaders (and the hero I created for him), it was a tall order indeed. As I said, had this been a tournament, I would have carried on. But we decided to end it there and we're off to do our next one, "The Globus Raid" from "Partisan!"
You are mistaken, David. That was my third snake eyes in a row! Great game!

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished ASL 141 Action at Balberkamp last night on VASL. Won in the last Advancing Fire Phase when I broke the one Brit squad holding out in the last hex of the road I needed to clear. Great scenario, lots of maneuver which the "tournament scenarios" lack. Don't let the size and number of turns care you away from this one, it plays faster than you think.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played VotG27 Drama, the Park, and Deadly Things as the Germans. Quick playing scenario. Nothing really memorable about it; just push forward and grind. I think both sides' dice were poor throughout - I rolled two 12s on 75L results DRs and a 12 with one of my DCs. My 9-2 kill stack basically did nothing. My friend's dice were just as poor. In the end, I took the theater on the top of turn 5 (of 6) by applying steady pressure. There wasn't much time so I pressed the whole game. Deploying and not Prep firing is a must for the Germans in this scenario. We both had fun though, so recommended for either side.

Last edited:

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played GWASL Scenario #4, Spare A Thousand, last night against Dave Lamb. i was the Brits and he the Jerries. It went down to the wire with Dave getting a win although I had tanks in the all the Objective hexes, i couldn't break everybody. This is the first FtF game of GWASL I've played and I found it to be a blast. (I did play two other solo prior to this and enjoyed them too.) There are not many rules changing ASL to GWASL. But it is fun having your Mk IV tanks lumber toward the enemy and trying to keep your infantry platoons intact and able to move. I'll play more GWASL for sure.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I need to check whether the GWASL rules for infantry platoon movement are similar to those in KFW.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Centurions Reverse! ASL 216 Asymmetrical warfare. The Brits would be fine if the Chinese showed up with a few panzers. But they didn't, just lots of Chinese. The British came on and went down the valley, and through the 83L0 woods. The at start British force stayed on their hill and tried to hold their section of the road open. The Chinese killed the HT, and a few carriers, but never any of the tanks. Even with this, it was a narrow Brit victory, exiting 76 VP. Interesting.

IPM was not bad.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played another GWASL scenario today, this time one from the Hindenburg Line pack. I was the Germans who had to prevent an American penetration of the trench lines. I would say this one is tough on the American because although they outnumber the Germans, they have to cross some tough terrain with lots of wire and trench lines. But it does give the feel at how difficult doing such was in World War I.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cross-posted from VASL League thread:

Craig Houliston's French held off Aaron Cleavin's determined Germans in FrF87 Mormal Forest. The French inflicted some tough losses on the Germans in the first few turns, but Aaron's 37L HTs were a killer -- tons of rate and effects. He also excelled in some key mid-game CCs in the village that took out the 25LL/gun crew and two full squads.

In the final German turn, the VC hex containing a 457 was sleeze frozen by a HT. As it turned out it came down to a 248 French (adjacent to the VC building) 2-0 FF shot against an adjacent CX stack containing 838, 468, 247, 8-0 (w/ FT) and a non-CX 247. LeBeau fires a 1,1 for 1MCs and a K/1 against the leader (rolled a 6 on WC). All but the CX 247 break. French retain in the "back building" VC hex in this scenario when the lone 247 enters CC with the HT and is killed in CC

Fabulous, highly recommended scenario. I stalled the Germans in the woods adequately enough, but after losing the village VC hex in large part to the killer HTs, the Germans were able to hook around to the back building. Had I held out one more half turn in the village, the Germans would have had a much tougher time getting to that back building. Great scenario; wonderful, skilled opponent.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I finished a PBEM game of 139 THE WEIGH IN with Joe Moro. Joe had the attacking Germans. We gave the balance to the Germans. After four turns, however, the balance of an extra German turn did not help. Joe conceded with 52 CVP of casualties (the cap is 56). One of my Polish 37L ATG destroyed six AFV in those four turns, and three of them in one movement phase. I believe that the German needs to use all the turns, and his smoke assets to avoid casualties.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ITR-14 Between Rockets and a Hard Place. Won a hollow victory as the Germans due to bad dice. The game started out well for the Russians and then everything fell apart for them. The T-34 MA malfunctioned on its first shot - a PB shot vs one of my tanks, no less. Two other tanks were close behind and could very well have fallen as well. Then my friend rolled a 6 on the repair roll. His HMG and one of the MMGs malfunctioned. The 45L crew passed -1 and -2 MCs only to fail a lousy NMC. He lost every CC. The T-70 went down with snakes from me (not bad luck on his part but couple seeing that with the awful rolls he was having made for a tough one for him to swallow). It was even hard for me to watch as his very well planned defense fell apart due to horrible rolls. It's been a while since we've played a game with such bad luck for one side. For my part, I didn't do anything of note. As usual in these urban slugfests, I just slowly pressed forward hoping to whittle down the enemy's defence. He called this one early. Recommended for either side, but with only 12 squads, I think the Russians have a hard task in this scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Grain of Sand FT 214 Free French V. Germans, Normandy '44. I went after the village VC, which is where most of the Germans were... I made steady progress, but with plenty of Shermans being destroyed. The Germans almost hit the CVP cap- needed 32, got 29. It came down to the last turn, French victory.

Nice scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's So Easy ASL 213 Night raid to snatch prisonrs, and or reveal CVPA positions. Rangers entered to the north, concealed and assault moving. The CVPA were on hexrow I, with pickets and a hipster further east. The Rangers captured 2 4-3-7 squads in CC without loss. The Chinese then fired the MMG at them, but in the darkness and falling snow, without effect. The CVPA 8-1 tried to gather forces and pursue- but it was too late. The US then withdrew off the board without loss.

Roar has this at 2-0, CVPA wins. But, in our playing, it seemed very rough on the Chinese.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Played ASL 203 Hard ROK today with my opponent Randy with his Russians taking the win on the last turn. We both enjoyed the scenario and felt it was nicely balanced. A very good cross the bridge scenario indeed. For my defense I basically put the board 10 garrison conscripts up front to be speed bumps while the rest of the board 10 garrison boogied back to board 23 to bolster the board 23 garrisons defense. Managed to take out two SU's but could not manage to get at the T-34's. By game end, I had one HS left that was sitting on the bridge and for the Russians to win they needed to not only needed to break him but eliminate him so they could get across to achieve their exit VC's. Well of course the Russians were able squash the poor HS and managed a win. As a side note, I had four ROK squads roll snake eyes on HoB and go berserk and thus fly into the teeth of the NKPA attackers. I had used all 7 Tank Hunters, with only one successful kill (an SU). The other SU was taken out by the 37LL ATG but it died a quick death.

One question did come up, a squad breaks with a prisoner, can squads freindly to the guard shoot at him to kill the POW? The guarding squad was in a hex of death IE no where to rout too and thus rearming the prisoner.

Scott

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished D Hedgehog of Piepsk... and squeaked out a German defensive win via a most lucky and absurd HMG ROF rampage. Presently involved in U15 Battle for the Warta Line which is going very well... but I'm waiting for the Polish OBA to fall on my head. But, and I think this is deliriously silly, my Observer has actually advanced across the battlefield carrying his worthless Red Card Brand Field Radio, and discovered the HIP Polish Observer and is about to enter CC with him.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
briefly a report of the games played at the recent ASO event held in Copenhagen (Denmark, Europe)

Chateau Gandelu RPT 137. Friendly game vs Sami Pelkonen. My French held a hill village in 1940 against a resolute group of 468 SS attaching from two sides. The Germans have H mortar and a 150 mm INF gun to lay smoke but no armor or vehicles. The best resources of the French are a 9-2 and a HMG.

The German did not find smoke, and this helped the French cause. So his attack from east and west toward the board 68 village was exposed to potential deadly defensive fire. despite the Germans HOBs two times (two heroes!) the French resisted trading terrain for time and German bodies. The last desperate move of the Germans in OG to jump on the defenders failed and the French held all buidings without no losses! Good scenario that seems well balanced. The German can attack even without smoke, with all due caution, but of course the ability to lay a smoke screen looks as the key of the German advance.

The Yelnya Bridge J102 Round 1 vs Jesper Led. My Russians avert the German AFV stream crossing in the "non bridge" part of the stream. The MMG and the INF Gun on the hill prenvented an early crossing of the SS. All AFVs and infantry tried to move on the left of the Russian front, ignoring the well guarded bridge, only to encounter the sharp shelling of the gun and the BS hex of the MMG. In the key moment of the attack a 426 fired snakeeyes at PB against a stack of SS (two S + the 9-1) in the stream at -2 DRM that basically ended the game. No losses for the Russian! 1-0

Mormal Forest FrF 87 Round 2 vs Ran Shiloah. My Germans crushed against the baionet wall created by Ran in the forest. Not founding any smoke shell, depleting the FT at the first attack and missing everything with the Stuka the mission becomes too hard for the Germans. Ran defended lightly the village objective but it still held against my too light wing force and the late reinforcements I sent once I realized that the far forest objective was out of range. The French Artillery gun was illegally placed in a building dominating the road that enters in the forest, and Ran kindly removed it, but even without it the French held well, resisting to several FG at 16 or more FP in the forest until the time run out. At the end none of the three objective was German controlled. So it was a crushing defeat. 1-1

Cricket in spring AP 130 Round 3 vs Stefan Fiedler. I had the Russians. I placed guns in both the hill hexes on the left to dominate the road in front of the hill with the buildings. The SS attacked all following the same line, on my left, ignoring the chance to try a flanking manouvre at my right. This simplified my defense as I had all the time to shift everything on that side. Placing two t34s on the other end of the road I controlled it in both direction making any German advance in the open a blood bath (no smoke in mud). The over cautious stance of my opponent took soon him short of time. Too many points of gap, so he resigned at the start of his T6.
I have to note how the unfortunate wording of SSR 2 "crews cannot voluntary abandon their mobile vehicles" combined with the VCs and with SSR 1 (EC & Weather Mud) invites explicitly the German players to voluntary immobilize his three HT via ESP in a safe place, with the double positive effect to keep them away from the Russians shells, and reclute three fresh brand new PF/dr3 machines (their crews now free to dismount) and three LMGs. A possibilty my opponent readily caught. Anyway this did not changed anything and the only Russian loss in the game was a T34. 2-1

Creams of the Crop AP 12 Round 4 vs Josh Kalman. Not much to say as my opponent rolled boxcars at the first start of the tank, immobilizing it in turn one. The Germans flanked the village from the right (unopposed) and from the left, where a bloody battle begun, The Armor support and the superior FP of the Germans overcame the defenders. Also the Russian Armor reinforcements did not changed anything and so Josh resigned after my sniper killed his 8-1 when the village was completely in German hands. 3-1

Red Tears Shed on Gray FrF 89 Round 5 vs Svante Sandblom. Svante is a new Swedish player probably in his 20, playing ASL from two years and at his first tournament experience out of Sweden. He is very promising and surely has all qualities to become a top player. He decided to bid for Russians, and so I held the Rumanians. His setup was solid, and the place where he set up the guns and the MMG (the best Russian assets) was the best possible (imo) covering the vast maiority of key hexes and making any Rumanian move dangerous. This scenario is hard for the Russian, and the defender must be ready to escape behid to protect his brittle force awaiting the reinforcements for the counterattack. Here is where the scenario was decided. Russians did not escape quickly enough to avoid by pass freeze from the Rumanian tanks and the necessary purification through FT and or PB fire. Also the Russian decision to reveal guns too early favored the attacker. So before any reinforcement arrived, the Russian had lost everything but three or four of squads, on leader, and the INF Gun, while the Rumanians still had all squads on the board, and so he resigned. 4-1

Once again a very fun and relaxing ASL experience at ASO, my seventh in 13 years.

Last edited: