So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Batterie Du Port SP55 I approached the battery from the board 17 side. I could not keep a 37LL running for anything, 3 tanks with malf'ed MA at one point. It did not help that the US 9-2 was a no factor, wounded by long range MG fire. He then took three turns to self rally... The fire control tower and one Vichy 105mm held out. Vichy win.

Good little Torch scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Junkers Junkyard FrF 85 Fallschirmjager try to hold on to an airfield in Holland. The Dutch Krupp 7 velds, (75mm ART), were handy, clearing out the farm at 1bW15 in short order. On the other hand, the Oerlikon gun got captured, and it's crew wiped out. The same gun then fired several shots at my A/C, but could not hit anything. In the end, the A/C was decisive, encircling the airfield buildings and getting hit after hit with AP. Dutch victory.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops. You can't HIP a THH with a DC.
G1.422 May a T-H Hero be set up HIP possessing a DC?
A. No, because he cannot be set up possessing a SW (G1.423). [Gen27.2; An92; An95w; An96; Mw]
G1.423 salts it as they can only come by a DC if it is transferred to them. That happens when they are created by a DC toting Japanese MMC.
Thanks for pointing that out.
If I didn't occasionally misinterpret a rule, I just wouldn't be playing ASL.
:)

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Operation Veritable, Riley's Road, Campaign Date 1. This is the return match, with me as the German defender, and we played only turn 1. My plan was: Fire the AT guns until the barrels glow! I didn't set them up HIP, but in plain view on the ridgeline, and generously used intensive fire. I've lost only one of the guns so for, and there are already quite a few burning Canadian wrecks on the map.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for pointing that out.
If I didn't occasionally misinterpret a rule, I just wouldn't be playing ASL.
:)
It's logical to think they can. After all, I can see that conversation now.
THH "I am going off to hide in the Bamboo, to pounce upon the Imperialist British. Give me those explosives that I may kill them better."
Officer: "IDIOT!!!!"

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It's logical to think they can. After all, I can see that conversation now.
THH "I am going off to hide in the Bamboo, to pounce upon the Imperialist British. Give me those explosives that I may kill them better."
Officer: "IDIOT!!!!"
You forgot to add the rest of the conversation:

Officer: "IDIOT!!!! You have been issued with a fine ATMM or some sort of explosives, so you DON'T need that precious DC. You can't find it, he? Feel like rollin' 4s, 5s and 6s? If you dishonor yourself by not taking care of the equipment entrusted to you by the Emperor, then you go out there and scratch that tank open with your fingernails. And now, off with you!"

von Marwitz

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played PAD1, Time is Tight from Broken Ground. My attacking SS were befuddled by tricky lines of sight. Lost the 251/21 on turn one to a 60mm mortar CH which immobilized it. I then boxed out it's MA...My infantry didn't do much better until a 658 went berserk and helped capture a building. Later a American 667 went berserk and tied up some of my boys in CC. In the end the Americans held on to one multi-location building for the win. Neat scenario, plays fast.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fitting with my plans to continue playing from unplayed or seldom played packs and playing a wider selection of publishers though both MMP and BFP will still feature heavily as you would expect.

Cameronians Crossing is from Critical Hit's Orders for the Major reprint of Scotland The Brave back in 2012. I was given this module and Shout for Piats by Martin Baker some years ago and hoped to play some from these with him at a future Heroes but failed to show the same year as Martin. Something for the future then.

Typical of CH the pack includes a nice historical map, bunch of scenarios and campaign game. It also comes with some very nice counters though I have found with both packs you don't get all the vehicles you need for some of the scenarios. In this case I was short of some of the Churchill counters. Not a big issue given I have plenty in my counter mix. ROAR has this somewhat pro German with nine wins for the German and three for the British but not a massive base to work from.

As both sides come on from offboard we diced for side once James had arrived with me getting the British. I decided to rush the exit area with the carrier and double timed troops along the road whilst the troops with the 51mtr's followed on behind. I was then going to try and get the carrier off fairly quickly (I need to get 5 squad equivalents off hex F1) but would fire it if I got a good opportunity.

James brought his two halftracks into play and moved up the map as quickly as possible heading towards F1 but suffered immobilisation of one on a ESB attempt. This halftrack was then dispatched by a PIAT giving us our first burning wreck of the game.

James was to loose the second halftrack to the carrier as it's effect dice was snakes from a MG attack against the vehicle type, a second burning wreck. However the decision to stay and fight cost me the carrier the following German turn as a PF got him, yes a third burning wreck!

James still was able to get more infantry into the area of F1 blocking a charge off the map. I got a couple of squads over the bridge whilst most infiltrated through the gully and orchards. On turns three and four we both received armoured support, James two Panthers one per turn whilst I received six Churchill's three per turn. The Panthers got into battle first owing to a shorter route and the slow nature of a Churchill, though I did use the road and due to the German sniper being just a 2 CE almost the whole game.

I used the mortars to lay smoke on the Panthers and later drove Churchill's into the Panther hexes. I did not seem able to pass a morale test but fortunately James SS was almost as bad. My sniper woke up for one key break whilst James never activated despite a few attempts.

One PIAT team got to the rear of a smoked Panther but was broken from infantry fire from the Panthers hex whilst I tied everyone else up and made my dash for the board edge. James did not have much in the way of good order infantry and I was down to my last two tanks, it was going to be down to his Panthers. One was forced to fire so would not be moving whilst the second came out of his smoked position with me missing a side on shot from one Churchill (malfing the gun on an 11) James then went to overrun the stack awaiting the chance to move off the map but a side hit with the PIAT reduced the overrun to half effect and I was lucky enough to survive and off the map.

We ended up with six burning AFV's and two others wrecked. The scenario has six turns whilst ours finished my turn 6 and played fast. I think we played for about two maybe two and a half hours and typical of my experience with many CH products it was a lot of fun. I always like playing on historical maps especially if as yet unplayed. Of course this pack goes back to 1998 and as far as I know the scenarios have not been altered from the originals. I dislike the repackaging and renaming that CH do that can see you buy an old product again by accident, I would much prefer a more transparent re-release from CH.

If you don't already own the originals then the newer copies are well worth picking up. I have played a number of scenarios from Shout for the Piats and enjoyed those as well.

Ian

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played J181, The Deadly Line, a very late war non-PTO Japanese vs Russian clash. I managed a pyhrric victory as the Japanese despite my low quality (ELR 1), non-SW-equipped infantry force. My 12 HIP (!) TH-heroes were largely ineffective due having been positioned too far forward whereupon they were vaporized by my opponent's armored-assaulting infantry.
My opponent executed a good assault plan, and I'm sure that I only managed the victory by staying in interior woods hexes as much as possible, and out of LOS of his massive force of
T-34/85's and OT-34's.
I still can't believe I won this scenario!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hold at All Cost! LC WCR 4 From the LC Anzio 1st Special Service Pack. A small group of Forcemen must prevent the Herman Gorings from crossing a canal. The bombardment did not do much, and the Germans aimed to cross the canal from the south end. The man handling DRs for moving the foot bridges bedeviled the Germans, as they made very slow progress. This was even when most of the SSF was smoked in or getting shot to pieces by the StuGs and Panzers parked on the other side of the canal.
The M10s then came on, and won the day for the allies. The StuG that was waiting for them missed 2 shots, and was destroyed in turn. The rest of the German armor then had to take on the M10s, or see the bridge draggers killed off. THe M10s won this duel. Allied victory.

Interesting scenario. Nice counters.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Hold at All Cost! LC WCR 4 From the LC Anzio 1st Special Service Pack. A small group of Forcemen must prevent the Herman Gorings from crossing a canal. The bombardment did not do much, and the Germans aimed to cross the canal from the south end. The man handling DRs for moving the foot bridges bedeviled the Germans, as they made very slow progress. This was even when most of the SSF was smoked in or getting shot to pieces by the StuGs and Panzers parked on the other side of the canal.
The M10s then came on, and won the day for the allies. The StuG that was waiting for them missed 2 shots, and was destroyed in turn. The rest of the German armor then had to take on the M10s, or see the bridge draggers killed off. THe M10s won this duel. Allied victory.

Interesting scenario. Nice counters.
I purchased this but like many of the Lone Canuck products, seldom get to play them unless I would go to the Canadian Open where they are featured. Should try to make that tournament soon.

Thanks for the report.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I purchased this but like many of the Lone Canuck products, seldom get to play them unless I would go to the Canadian Open where they are featured. Should try to make that tournament soon.

Thanks for the report.
Ray - I'll play anything LC at ASLOK - I'm not in the minis for long anyway.........

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I completed a VASL match of RPT107 MEET ME AT THE STATION. A strong Russian force of nine T34 with 14 squads wants to take six buildings in a victory area from the Germans in the summer of 1943. The Germans, however, really need to keep only one particular building from the Russians. The Germans have two Pak 38 50mm ATG and a Marder and 10 squads with which to defend. They also receive three early Tiger 1 tanks on turn two. It was an interesting scenario, but our playing is tainted by a missed cropping of two boards, so the map was bigger than it should have been. The Russians won our playing, but I, as the Germans, had the once-in-an-ASL-lifetime event of a Pak 38 destroying a T34 that overran it during a MPh and then destroying three more T34 in the following DFPh.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
but I, as the Germans, had the once-in-an-ASL-lifetime event of a Pak 38 destroying a T34 that overran it during a MPh and then destroying three more T34 in the following DFPh.
This will likely get the crew nominated for EK I.

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oops. You can't HIP a THH with a DC.
G1.422 May a T-H Hero be set up HIP possessing a DC?
A. No, because he cannot be set up possessing a SW (G1.423). [Gen27.2; An92; An95w; An96; Mw]
G1.423 salts it as they can only come by a DC if it is transferred to them. That happens when they are created by a DC toting Japanese MMC.

Perhaps do a SET DC instead and have a HIP THH detonate it on a road before rushing out? (Muhahahahahah)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In our situation, the British tanks were laagered on a hill top and within a perimeter of commandos. As I recall, the roads were SSR'd as non-existent in the scenario's Burmese terrain.
Get your engineers cracking Kwan. First build the roads and THEN set a DC on them.