So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Birds of Prey a few years back as the Germans. Fun game. Came down to the last die roll.
Played this many years ago with an epic victory against Guy Chaney at Avaloncon but a very close loss against Omar Jeddaoui at Atlanticon. A failed snap shot on my part against a half squad crossing over the bridge gave him the victory. It seems this scenario generate close results.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a very rare scenario (for me) O3 A Frosty Morning. I think it came from an Operations magazine which I rarely buy. The game came down to one last mad rush by the British Red Devils on the last turn to get one more CVP for the win. The target, a lone German 5-4-8 valiantly fired shot after shot using every form of fire possible throwing back a number of troops, but broke as the absolute last 6-4-8 moved up point blank. Still, my opponent needed to cause at least a MC to give him a chance for the win. He rolled a 2MC and I failed by one. Game. Very fun scenario in that both sides need to make tough decisions throughout. Alas, poor Lt. Colonel Frost succumbed to wounds bravely trying to make it to some broken troops to ensure no one would be left behind. And so, in our counterfactual world, he never made it to Arnhem and Sir Anthony Hopkins played a less flamboyant character in the film A Bridge Too Far...

Oh yeah, recommended for either side.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Made a road trip to Cary where I played Chuck Payne in Rescue Attempt [ASL 89]. At 18/18 it certainly is balanced but I failed to make a dent in Chuck's stiff defense (mostly in stone buildings). I had to give up on six with half my squads broken and facing six AFV's that I could not even scratch. The Wehrmacht needed rescue, not the Belgians!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played SP272 Statue of Liberty Attacks twice, once as the Americans and once as the japs. In both cases the Americans just got stymied by both the HIP IJA and the intense terrain they had to traverse. Board 67 is not an easy board to get around and made much tougher by the Jungle terrain. In both playings, the American armor was either crushed or limped to the finish line with one tank. The infantry on the other hand really had a tough time in trying to move forward due to both HIP and the IJA HMG on the hill. Fun scenario, but one I think might require a few more playings in understanding what exactly the USA needs to do.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Frozen Earth BdF #5 Small one from the Baraque De Fraiture HASL. SS infantry force attacks a dug in US 76mm ATG battery. The SS get a 120mm OBA module, but due to the LV hindrance, it cannot be accurate. I spread my guns and the HTs I took the MGs off of, along the east side of the N-15 road. The SS waited for the OBA, then moved concealed as close as they could get. The SS cleared out some gun positions to the north. They had a shot at killing/ capturing 2 guns at the end, but got neither. Good little Bulge scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got an early Christmas present in beating Dave Stephens as the Russians in Crickets in Spring [AP131] breaking a three game losing streak. Dave's infantry had a tough time as I was able to keep both MG's in action despite having an acquisition 2 on them. Two of my guns fell quickly but a third survived at least three 2MC's and each time dealt a counter blow to the offending infantry. The scenario is very interesting and was 12/12 in ROAR before I reported my win. I think you have to be a savvy attacker in this one but given the mix of units and the large playing area this scenario will not become stale. Mud is a problem prohibiting Smoke and impeding movement for the Germans.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just finished Slovak turn 1 in BFP 115 Turned Back at Hard to Say, and both the Slovaks and Poles created a leader in CC - never had that happen before - what a game!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Four of us got into the new Rally Point today playing Von Sponeck's Woods [RPT134]. My partner and I had split (against the advice of Evan Sherry) the Dutch forces rather evenly with me attacking down board 19 and Wally Warren down 75. I had to cross a lot of open ground but was supported by the HMG and MMG which advanced safely on turn one to positions with a good field of fire. Wally was to take the two key buildings for the automatic win if I could take 19oS8 far away on board 19. Also, a flanking maneuver to the Dutch left might allow a break for the back buildings on 75. To protect these buildings the Germans must run some units back given they set up in a narrow band along the Dutch front.
Wally ran into trouble given the 10-2 was guarding the two instant victory hexes on 75 whereas I quickly with good rolls and ROF's dispersed the more numerically superior MMC's on my flank and took two of the regular victory buildings as well as 19oS8 back building while Dave Stephens' infantry cowered in the woods attempting to rally. Still Wally turned the flank on Joe Znidarsic bypassing the 10-2's "Festung" and headed for the back buildings before Joe could adequately react. Problem was we needed now five buildings since the 10-2 "Festung" was not going to fall easily if at all.

The end game was a hoot with one of my squads which had strategically routed to the center getting a leader creation. I wisely sent it to help Joe as the Germans were trying to take back one of the three needed buildings Joe had captured and did so capturing one. We were on the cusp of losing until I advanced my new leader and squad concealed along with Joe's last remaining good order squad into CC which we won for a victory.

A good infantry only scenario, it was fun to play with four players with lots of laughs and coming down to the last CC which is rare when four players are playing a scenario typically played by two.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Played twice WO 09 Sting them at Zingem, once per side .
Both times the Germans were soundly defeated.
Now I'm playing it for the third time (against a different opponent) and it seems the Germans again have heavy problems (we are at the end of game turn 2).
The scenario concept is nice, since there are many possible approaches to the objective, as defender or as attacker, and it is not clear what is more convenient. Hence my multiple games.
The German have basically three paths to reach 4 of the 6 victory hexes needed that are scattered on board 66. His small attacking force can be shared in any way between the three entry zones. The negative part is that all entry zones requires a lot of movement in the open and all entry hexes are directly controlled by the Belgian who have 3 LMG and one MMG. Each SW can easily place lethal fire lines and/or kill the low armored three German AFVs.
My opinion is the German in front of a competent defender cannot avoid to suffer heavy initial losses to simply enter the board.

Whatever the tactical approach is, it leads naturally to the same bad result for Germans. Even using all the tricks as vehicle smoke granades, armored assault, freezes and furious deploying it seems the VCs are too difficult. May be I miss something however. But one thing is clear: a safe and cautious approach to minimize risks in this scenario will never work since the time is not enough to make anything different than run.

Looks like the scenario can be won only by a "berserker German" that charges blindly and pray to ovewhelm the light defensive screen by numbers and by luck possibly guessing the "weak" part of the Belgian setup (usually where there are less SW deployed and where the fire lines are less effective ).
Not the best fun possible.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
played two times FrF 89 "Black Tears Shed on Gray" as Russian and two times I was defeated against two different opponents. The scenario is an urban fight Rumanians/Russians in which the Axis attackers must control 10 (on 20) factory hexes of board 1. The OBs show 347 (X12)-537 (X4) for Rumanians and 426 (X9) -447 (X2) for Russians. Later a platoon of 527 and two ACs reinforces the Russians and permits in theory a counterattack to re-gain a few factory hexes captured by the Rumanian in the first part of the scenario.
During setup the Russian must decide how to split his force since the factories are roughly evenly divided in the two parts (east and west) of the board. An 75L ART gun and a small but effective 37L ATG are the best resources of the defender. The Rumanians have three light tanks, one FT and two DC. I used two times the same defensive setup, while the attackers used two different approaches. In the first game Rumanians attacked both wings with equal forces, in the second game my opponent attacked more in deep along the Russian left wing. In both cases the Russians were unable to resist decently to let the turn 4 reinforcements to save the day. Basically the 426 are too brittle and the Commissar was not that good to allow a quick return of the broken units. The low Russian ELR made the rest since most breaking 426 became distrupted at the first failed MC.

This scenario is fun and highly replayable. Besides it seems balanced that is something not automatic these days.
A better setup and a more conservative attitude for the Russian (together with a optimal use of the guns that lacked in my games) can make the difference here for the defender. Not easy for the attacker, not easy for the defender. A very good scenario.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Four of us got into the new Rally Point today playing Von Sponeck's Woods [RPT134]. My partner and I had split (against the advice of Evan Sherry) the Dutch forces rather evenly with me attacking down board 19 and Wally Warren down 75. I had to cross a lot of open ground but was supported by the HMG and MMG which advanced safely on turn one to positions with a good field of fire. Wally was to take the two key buildings for the automatic win if I could take 19oS8 far away on board 19. Also, a flanking maneuver to the Dutch left might allow a break for the back buildings on 75. To protect these buildings the Germans must run some units back given they set up in a narrow band along the Dutch front.
Wally ran into trouble given the 10-2 was guarding the two instant victory hexes on 75 whereas I quickly with good rolls and ROF's dispersed the more numerically superior MMC's on my flank and took two of the regular victory buildings as well as 19oS8 back building while Dave Stephens' infantry cowered in the woods attempting to rally. Still Wally turned the flank on Joe Znidarsic bypassing the 10-2's "Festung" and headed for the back buildings before Joe could adequately react. Problem was we needed now five buildings since the 10-2 "Festung" was not going to fall easily if at all.

The end game was a hoot with one of my squads which had strategically routed to the center getting a leader creation. I wisely sent it to help Joe as the Germans were trying to take back one of the three needed buildings Joe had captured and did so capturing one. We were on the cusp of losing until I advanced my new leader and squad concealed along with Joe's last remaining good order squad into CC which we won for a victory.

A good infantry only scenario, it was fun to play with four players with lots of laughs and coming down to the last CC which is rare when four players are playing a scenario typically played by two.
This one does look interesting for an all infantry scenario. It's on my want to play list.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played FrF87 Mormal Forest with Martin Marquis. Dice gave the French to me. This scenario is all about force allocation for both the German attacker and the French defender. In the stone building on the French left, I place three 457, one 458; in the steeple, I had an 8-0, 248 and 2 dummy counters pretending to be the HMG. The ART gun was in woods on the left boardedge, pointing back towards the stone buildings. The AT gun was in woods on the right of those same buildings. On the French right, in the two hex stone building I had the 9-1, 458 and HMG on level one, as well as a 457. The two French tanks were behind the hedges near that building. The rest of the French were in the central woods along the paths and in/around the victory building.

The German guns were on the level two positions on the German right. Six or so elite squads, several LMG, two SPW251/1, and a SPW251/10 were on the German right to go after the French stone buildings. The rest of the German force was mostly set up to move into the central woods mass or along that flank.

Martin helped the French by forgetting to check the back of his ART gun. He did not realize he had smoke until turn three. When a 251/1 went past the French ART gun on turn one, I brought the gun on and eliminated the HT. Later, it broke three infantry squads with different shots over a couple of phases before the crew went down to return fire. That delayed the attack on that side. When the attack went in again, I had good dice and Martin did not, to further slow things on that side.

The centre woods attack went as you can imagine. The Germans reached the area of the victory building at the fourth turn. The Germans took the victory building on their fifth turn, but the French took it back on their last turn. Martin conceded after the fifth turn because he felt he could not take two buildings at that point..

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like the scenario can be won only by a "berserker German" that charges blindly and pray to ovewhelm the light defensive screen by numbers and by luck possibly guessing the "weak" part of the Belgian setup (usually where there are less SW deployed and where the fire lines are less effective ).
Not the best fun possible.
Given the stereotypes of Italian personalities, maybe it would be better not to play the Germans, sit back, shoot and enjoy a good cappuccino at the same time! :)

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played RPT131 Boot's Scoot and Boogie at our ASL meet. Lost as the Dutch. Interesting small scenario coming down to the last turn. The VC make for German attack options and a spread out Dutch defense. Might try another from this pack today.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I liked this scenario as noted a few threads back. I think it is quite interesting but those halftracks are easy prey to the 25LL.
They were not for me. I had one hit with the 25LL and it bounced. It never saw another HT. I had about five hits from the tanks with only one penetration.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played FrF74 Out of their Element, as the attacking Germans. My opponent (returning to ASL after a break) setup his forces mostly along the tree line, trying to slow the attack (which it did) but with little thought to how he would retreat - and it cost him. I attacked strongly on the southern flank, with just a token force in the center.

Over the first 3 turns I managed to push strongly to the south, taking out three squads (one POW, two broken with little hope of rallying), the 8-1 leader, and the Russian MMG, and losing only one sIG to a lucky ATR shot. With his turn 3 reinforcements to enter directly under fire, and the remainder of his force unable to efficiently come back to the victory area before my forces could get there, the Russian player conceded.

Last edited: