So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played Frf Belgian Tigers today twice with me losing as both the Germans and as the belgians when we switched sides. Very good scenario, though trying to thread the bridge crossing needle can be very dicey but I think I would play it again because it was a fun little action. Not top 10 of all time material but a good short action that can get played quickly. Nice Job Mr. Struff!
thank you very much mr Holst.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I recently finished J179 RESIGNATION SUPERMEN. My Germans pushed hard for the two point factory and sent a small force to keep the other Americans in place. It held longer than I'd hoped and I lost the StuG, but I got it. Reinforcements went mostly up the middle, except the tank which helped take the 2 point factory. It was a struggle to get into another factory, but several squads and the Pz4 took it on the last German turn. The remaining Americans could not take it back.
great scenario ! I hope you used a ton of Sewer Movement for the Germans, it is one of the few scenarios where it really makes sense and is used offensively (not just to lurk and mess around behind enemy lines like can be done in RB.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
great scenario ! I hope you used a ton of Sewer Movement for the Germans, it is one of the few scenarios where it really makes sense and is used offensively (not just to lurk and mess around behind enemy lines like can be done in RB.
I could not think of a way to use it, but my unfamiliarity with Sewer Movement contributed to that.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I had a FtF session of BFP106 GOING POSTAL. Erik had the Poles. I sent 9 squads and the two -1 leaders and the MMGs to take the first VC building. Everyone else hoofed it to the post office. Erik tried to have some partisans fall back from the first VC building. I think that was a mistake; only one squad was successful. I had that building on turn 2. I did a mop up on turn 3 in case of HIP, but completely forgot that a hipster could be anywhere within four hexes. Everyone moved on to the post office. Two Polish units that were not in the P.O. were eliminated. The post office was about to fall after five turns when we ran out of time. Erik revealed that he had a hipster that could retake the first VC building, so I called it a Polish victory. I think that the Polish in the post office need to deploy a bit and take more shots than Erik did. He wanted to keep concealment, but I feel the +5 TEM makes up for being unconcealed.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a pretty tense scenario, TAC 55 Dangerous Crossroads. Playing as the Italian/German force, as expected, most of my Italian weapons malfunctioned - including all three of my tanks - but they did some damage early. The main problem was they all went down over a one turn span in the middle of the game. That opened the flood gates and carriers and tanks swarmed in. Luckily, my men defending both buildings stayed intact and were protected by AT Mines in the two victory locations (because of the obvious freeze move they should, and did, encounter). At the bottom of turn 5 (of 6.5) I scored enough CVP giving my combined force the win. Recommended for both sides, however, I think the British player needs to be well versed in combined arms actions to make the most of his OB.

Last edited:

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ambush on the South Knob [AP125] My loss as the Japanese against David Stephens did not help ROAR pushing it to 5-0 Americans. I had the game won as almost all the U.S. were broken and off the hill. I stupidly forgot to fire smoke and realized I made a mistake as I rushed my 10-0 and three 447's forward and had to eat a two flat which with a roll of three killed my leader, striped two of the squads which later pinned along with the full strength squad on a one flat! They needed to reinforce the PB which I took in the same movement phase. I did not have enough strength to push the lone American squad off the back end of the hill failing twice to rally a broken Japanese half-squad. As the U.S. unit stood behind bamboo, all I could do was advance next to it with my squads which by rules thus pin. My only hope was the MMC which failed to rally as I could have probably blasted the American squad off the hill and advanced for the victory as that was the only squad he had to protect the hill short of a suicide charge on the last turn which might have succeeded given the debacle with my 10-0. I think the key is to bring six squads in from the south on turn two, not just the three that I did.
Agreed, the turn 2 south attack is the way to get to the PB before the US reinforcements get there

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Portomaggiore SP 208 Italy 1945. This is a scenario about an end game. The British are already across the canal, and must exit and chase the Germans out of stone buildings. The Brits pushed from both bridges. I slowed them down in he east side of the board. The end of the end was in the middle. British Victory.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From America, Tanks LC OzB 2 Soviet Stuarts must exit. Romanian ATG and a few squads in the way. I lost 2 Stuarts finding the first gun. (Coming off the hill, behind the wall did not help, as the Bofors went on a tear of turret hits.) My 5-2-7s made some progress clearing out the woods around I13. I shot 2 Stuarts past the remaining ATG. The last turn came down to a Romanian 3-4-7 needing to kill a moving Stuart in CC. They did not, and the Stuart escaped. Fun little scenario.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played BFP119 REAL STEEL. Lots of AFV on both sides. Germans need locations on a BFP DW board.
My polish defended lightly in the buildings closest to the Germans and heavy in the buildings set around an orchard hex. One ATG and heavy were on the Polish right board edge. The second ATG was in the middle. The mortar was on the hill on the Polish left. The other heavy was in the nearby building. Each multihex bldg had one squad. The Germans focussed on their left, but sent a platoon and several AFV on their right. My ATG got lucky early, and Bruno had several MA breaks. When the Polish tanks came on, the German tanks didn't take good defensive measures. When the Polish tanks had their prep, a lot more German AFV went down. After three turns, Bruno conceded because of the excessive armour losses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just got crushed in BP121 Old Friends. I set up my Poles broadly and forward to try to catch the Germans as they entered. Instead I got caught with an easily dividable defense that my opponent was able to cut through easily. A very surgical and careful approach by the German maximized his crushing of me while minimizing his losses.

Overall a fun scenario but the Pole has to be very careful with his set up.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP73 Happy Valley getting the win as the Germans. I think the game was lost upon set up. My friend decided to set up the hidden Stuarts near the village pretty much giving me free reign over 3/4 of the playing area. I sent most of the tanks in on turn one along with the armored cars. When I didn't receive any fire, the next turn I pushed forward again and brought on my infantry. It still took me until the top of turn 6 to take the village. Had my buddy contested my entry, I think that may have made the difference for the Americans. Even though I prevailed today, I think the scenario favors the US.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Along the Vistula [AP121] Four of us played this with the new Tactical Playing Cards from Mr. T. The cards added spice and laughs to a friendly four player game played on Black Friday. The cards had no major effect other than adding random happenings somewhat reminiscent of the random events found in the ASL Solitary Game. Best event for me was having a regular cower go to a conscript cower which knocked a 2 -3 snake eyes result off the chart saving my squad and leader. Many results are a 50-50 proposition with either an epic failure or and epic win thus making one be careful on when you play any of those cards.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Block on the Trail to Hell DB136 Good little jungle fight. The Marines must clear the IJA from the road/path. I went to the south, and cleared to the north. As usual, I found the pillbox the hard way. US firepower and winning a few melees carried the US over the line.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
We played Margeret Morning [AP130] through turn four and had a blast playing it. When we quit the Germans had still two FT and three heroes on the board but all their tanks were out of action with two Panthers falling in the fourth turn to a Baz side shot (immobilized and then abandoned) and a shock result. The Americans (me) had one squad dead and both dug-in tanks destroyed. I went for the Panthers crew with a Sherman only to have the crew find a PF and destroy my tank which wanted to make sure the crew never reentered the tank. We called it a draw as anything could have happened and would have pushed our game into our dinner times.

I had all squads and the two dug in tanks around the victory hexes for mutual support which seemed to work as they took out two of Mark IV's which were firing smoke. The one tank made a good accounting of itself lasting through turn four and throwing back many of the SS before a CC got it. At ASLOK it seemed pro-German and is 2-5 in ROAR right now.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played J190 Trial Run.
I lost as the Fallschirmjager defender. The loss of my Pak 38's crew during the second turn was crucial, however I passed my PMC and felt that my remaining high quality infantry was more than capable of preventing the ELR 2 Canadians from achieving the exit VC. My troop's fate was sealed due to brain fade which prevented me from remembering that the scenario took place during 1944, and that I should have made a few attempts to roll for Panzerfausts. Never crossed my mind...probably as a result of playing too many games as the British or Russians. :)

Despite my personal tactical shortcomings, I enjoyed this scenario and would recommend it to anyone. I was especially intrigued by the SSR regarding the 'plunging fire' from the offboard Canadian machine guns. As far as I can tell, this may be the only time when I have seen this tactic portrayed in an ASL scenario.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Lunch in Luga ASL AP124 Nice medium sized river crossing scenario on the new river board. (The new hill board, also from the new AP, is also used in this scenario, but not too much.) The SS went after the south and middle bridge. I set a DC on the middle bridge, but it DID NOT destroy a single span! The SS got across on both bridges, but took heavy losses in the process. This was in spite of lots of SMOKE from the OBA. Once over, they tore up the Soviets, but it was too late to get in enough buildings, and get enough CVP/exit/LVP.
I soloed it.
The SS OBA observer malf'd the radio, so without other smoke than smoke grenades, the nazis were just able to cross a bridge.
As the VP are massively granted by controling multihex buildings (and there a ton of them), the SS conceded before the end of the scenario.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
FrF 045 Totensonntag - I played as the Poles against a friend who wanted to try a different German defence after losing an earlier match against another player. Again, the Germans lost (but ROAR has it pretty much 50/50) and I achieved this at the end of Polish Turn 6 of 7. There are many fighting withdrawal type scenarios out there and this is a good one for those new to the game I'd say - Poles and Germans, infantry only on just one board. We play quickly and it was done in less than 2 hours.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a super close scenario today, AP64 A Well-Engineered Ambush. It required my Italian tank destroying a British carrier on the bottom of the last turn. I got it and won by two points. Looking at the scenario, I thought the Germans/Italians would have an easier time than they did. However, and I never thought I'd complain about having German assault engineers, their range was a serious detriment. Eight 1st line squads would have made things a lot easier. Rate didn't play the role I wished it would have as well. Recommended for both sides, but I think the British definitely have less room for error.

During this Torch mini campaign my friend and I have been playing, this one and OB6 First Clash in Tunisia have been the most competitive. Both were designed by Tom Morin so I'd like to extend my thanks to him for designing these fun scenarios. Thanks, Tom!

Last edited: