So what scenarios have you played Recently?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played OST11 - Stiffest Resistance twice today. High point total prevails

This July 1944 scenario features 18 Russian tanks entering over four turns, along with 13 mostly elite squad equivalents, which need to cross three boards stacked horizontally to gain EVP. There are also 3 multi-hex buildings worth 5 points each to their controller.

The Germans defend with 8 elite 548 squad equivalents a 75L AT and 81mm Mtr. Reinforcements include two Panthers and three PzIV on turn two and two Tigers on turn five. They gain VP for CVP, plus the three five point buildings.

My Russians were annihilated as the 75L AT gun bagged two SU-85s, the panthers parked about 9 hexes away from my mostly T34 swarm, with the PZIVs back off to their sides to prevent any Pilot fish from attaching themselves to the Panther's sides. The result was seven dead Russian AFVs, both Panthers alive and well. that resulted in 49 German CVP and a turn three loss.

We reversed sides and went through a similar massacre. His Russians AFVs actually got a couple of side shots versus the panthers, however, the cost was very high, another 7 dead Russian AFVs and a turn three loss.

I can't imagine how the Russians win, short of back-to-back German panther malfs, Russian snakes or some other Halley's comet frequency event.

I would suggest that you avoid this howler at all costs.

Rich

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Well I do agree, I remember playing this one with Bob and his Russian armor got annihilated. Rich and I gave this one a go today and I was the defending Germans. Rich brought his armor up and lucky for me, he parked two SU-85's right in front of my AT gun. Blew both up with some nice low rolls. He than brought on his T-34's, with 5 or 6 heading towards my gun and another 4 heading to my right flank. I than brought my Panthers on and proceeded to clean house with the Russians losing several more T-34's. About that point we called it quits. We did play a second game and I tried it as the Russians with a total attack on his right flank, that failed miserably he managed to PF one tank with a HIP HS and PSK'ed another T-34, CC'ed my SU 85 and killed it and to add insult to injury, obliterated a bunch of my t-34's with his two panthers. So I gave up.

A poorly playtested scenario design but this is probably the case with most of LC's scenario packs, a few good ones but alot of bad ones too. I always have trepidation when I have to play one of the LC scenarios.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tonight played RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time. Won as German in a real tight one. This is a quick and dirty, fast playing, half board only scenario with only 10 or so units per side. I have not had good luck with Rally Point scenario scenarios lately from a balance point of view, but this one fit size/time slot available so we gave it a try. Not bad, better than expected.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Opening Fire LC LSSAH 1 The SS were over the river on T1, and took the customshouse by T2. So my only hope was to get a squad within 3 hexes of the bridge. A 4-3-7 on a hill held out, turn after turn, passing MC after MC. I was massed for a last turn counterattack, but did not think it would work. But it did. My ATR killed the last A/C, the customshouse was retsken, as was hex 3Z1. Nice little scenario, with the chance to attack and defend for both sides.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had a pre-Tussle game with John Wood. We played WP6 ILS NE PASSERONT PAS (not the SP scenario of the same name). We chose sides randomly. I had the Germans. I had ruled this out of my tournament choices because it was too short. I was glad I did because by playing it, I found out it was too dicey. SSRs affect the number of MP for the entering Pz 4 tanks, as well as how many MMC enter each turn. The Canadians are restricted to setting up near the Casa, which has a nearby gully to hide in. The Sherman tanks might be immobile by SSR dr, but they don't really need to go anywhere. I conceded after the game was 2/3 played.

My first round game was A104 IN FRONT OF THE STORM with David Ginnard. My defence held tough and dished out some serious punishment in the early turns. I had the 9-2 leader up front. When a tank VBM occurred, the leader and squad where able to CC it to death. A turn later, they did it again to another tank. David conceded after four turns.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In round two of the Tussle, I was matched with Bill Hayward of Ohio and ASLOK fame. I was happy to have the opportunity to play him for the second time in my ASL experience. We both chose J183 A REAL BAR BURNER as our first choice. We diced for sides; I received the French. I deployed one of the two squads in the chateau force. I set up an all-around defence, but favoured the middle of the board. Bill dedicated several units to try and take the chateau. He set up some of the rest in stone buildings near the second French area, and some in woods along the seam between the two boards. He had the 248 and MMG in the center woods able to fire down the road to the second French setup area. I decided to try to bully my way through the Germans with the second French force and set up accordingly. Two key events that helped me win were my light mortar vaporising the 248 in the first turn, and later on, winning a 1to1 CC. I was able to keep the broken Germans DM most of the time, but I too had a fair number of broken troops. On the fourth turn, however, I was able to get one of the French reinforcing units in reach of the chateau. Bill conceded then. He said it was a mistake for his Germans to try half-heartedly for the chateau, and I agree.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Head in the Noose ASL AP 71 Beginning of the attack went well enough. The SS pushed the Americans out of the board 62 woods. But, once on to board 42, the off board 57L was able to start hitting. After losing the Pz4 and the SPW 251/2, the attack floundered, and US firepower won the day.

l

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In round three of Tussle, I played against Brian Wiersma in Le Herrison. By dice, I had the attacking Germans. I attacked exclusively on the German left, thinking that at some point I would be able to send some people to the right. I tried to be aggressive with lots of half squads and my 10-2 leading the way. My SPA made smoke in the first two turns, but that was all they were able to do. Each one disabled the MA in turns two, four and five. Brian took lots of shots at them using the HMG as ordnance, but without a kill. He eventually broke and X'd out. I remembered to mop up looking for the HIP units; I found one HS that lived longer than it should have afterwards. Around turn six, I had taken five buildings and had units ready to push to the other side, where Brian did not have much left. On my last turn, however, a broken French squad self-rallied and generated a leader. With the other remnants, it was obvious that I could not win. In post game discussion, Brian suggested that the Germans need to deploy even more than I did and send forces up both sides.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played newish player Gregg Lupaczyk in Tussle round 4. He told me that he had been playing around a year or so, but this was not his first tournament. We went with my first choice, J188 GRAB AND GO. Dice gave the Russian attackers to me. My rough plan was to put enough forces in the middle to take two multi-hex buildings by the end of turn 4 for extra points, and to send flanking forces up both sides to see what they could do. Things did not start well. One of the two buildings had two squads with two LMG; these fellows refused to break for many fire phases. In fact, I have never been so unmercifully diced in a game and still manage to win ( without any help from my dice, I might add ). It was brutal. Gregg's coloured die had an iron cross for the one pip and I saw more iron crosses during that game than I have seen in my life. Somehow, I eventually cleared those fellows out in time to have the two buildings worth six exit VP. When the halftracks came on the board, the Russians were within reach of them with one ATR and foot soldiers. My 9-2 finally did some good by CCing the SPW 251/2 before it could load up and leave; as a bonus the mortar crew died as well. The German HMG also went down to CC when Gregg's dice momentarily cooled off. That CC also generated a leader for the Russians that helped them exit 1.5 squads. The final tally was 14 German VP to 18 Russian VP.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played newish player Gregg Lupaczyk in Tussle round 4. He told me that he had been playing around a year or so, but this was not his first tournament. We went with my first choice, J188 GRAB AND GO. Dice gave the Russian attackers to me. My rough plan was to put enough forces in the middle to take two multi-hex buildings by the end of turn 4 for extra points, and to send flanking forces up both sides to see what they could do. Things did not start well. One of the two buildings had two squads with two LMG; these fellows refused to break for many fire phases. In fact, I have never been so unmercifully diced in a game and still manage to win ( without any help from my dice, I might add ). It was brutal. Gregg's coloured die had an iron cross for the one pip and I saw more iron crosses during that game than I have seen in my life. Somehow, I eventually cleared those fellows out in time to have the two buildings worth six exit VP. When the halftracks came on the board, the Russians were within reach of them with one ATR and foot soldiers. My 9-2 finally did some good by CCing the SPW 251/2 before it could load up and leave; as a bonus the mortar crew died as well. The German HMG also went down to CC when Gregg's dice momentarily cooled off. That CC also generated a leader for the Russians that helped them exit 1.5 squads. The final tally was 14 German VP to 18 Russian VP.
Dang! I am about to start this as the German defender ..

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My last Tussle match was against Keith Hill in 178 THE NISCEMI-BISCARI HIGHWAY. We diced for sides. Having played it now, I believe the Germans need the balance of one less American squad. The Germans must choose one of two entry areas: one in open ground and the other in a woods road. The open ground entry is so frightening that the American can concentrate his forces against the covered entry, which Keith did. I chose the covered entry. I even ran the AC through a woods hex to avoid the two HIP ATG. It did not bog! My infantry, however, had very much trouble passing morale checks and inflicting damage. My forces very slowly worked their way to the nearest building, finding both mine hexes in the process. Amazingly, two HS and a wounded leader took the building from a 747 in CC by snake-eyes. This was after four turns, however, and I did not have enough troops left to attack another building, so I conceded.

buser333

Reaction score
My last Tussle match was against Keith Hill in 178 THE NISCEMI-BISCARI HIGHWAY. We diced for sides. Having played it now, I believe the Germans need the balance of one less American squad. The Germans must choose one of two entry areas: one in open ground and the other in a woods road. The open ground entry is so frightening that the American can concentrate his forces against the covered entry, which Keith did. I chose the covered entry. I even ran the AC through a woods hex to avoid the two HIP ATG. It did not bog! My infantry, however, had very much trouble passing morale checks and inflicting damage. My forces very slowly worked their way to the nearest building, finding both mine hexes in the process. Amazingly, two HS and a wounded leader took the building from a 747 in CC by snake-eyes. This was after four turns, however, and I did not have enough troops left to attack another building, so I conceded.
Perhaps my opponent just had a great setup, but I may tend to agree with you as I got absolutely spanked in my attempt as the Germans. I don't think I took one building.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perhaps my opponent just had a great setup, but I may tend to agree with you as I got absolutely spanked in my attempt as the Germans. I don't think I took one building.
I can remember getting thrashed as the Airborne in this one. Long, long ago...

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
the germans got it tough for sure. we both bid paras for a reason. however, i would be willing to give the germs a go. it is always fun getting in a game with you

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Simple Solution ASL WO23 On the new board, 76. An Aachen '44 all infantry battle. I sent my attack up the board seam between z and 76, with most of my progress, at least early on, on z. The VolksGrenadiers kept me honest for a few turns. But, U.S. firepower ended up being the deciding factor. The new board- kinda neat. I like the rural to urban transition from one end, not from the long side, like good 'ol board 49.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played Dryga Lärpengar from Friendly Fire. It plays in a small map portion so it does not look good at first sight but it has something to offer. The Finnish player should, like in a typical raid, kill some enemies, capture some fortifications and then exit the board. The objectives are nicely encapsulated in the unusual VC. In the game the attack failed all along the line due to an overoptimistic attack, poor finnish MC rolls, nasty mines rolling 2 to blow up a 6-4-8 and an overly efficient Soviet sniper that broke two squads in quick succession. ROAR points to significant pro-soviet balance. May a more cautious approach achieve what brute force did not?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Dryga Lärpengar from Friendly Fire. It plays in a small map portion so it does not look good at first sight but it has something to offer. The Finnish player should, like in a typical raid, kill some enemies, capture some fortifications and then exit the board. The objectives are nicely encapsulated in the unusual VC. In the game the attack failed all along the line due to an overoptimistic attack, poor finnish MC rolls, nasty mines rolling 2 to blow up a 6-4-8 and an overly efficient Soviet sniper that broke two squads in quick succession. ROAR points to significant pro-soviet balance. May a more cautious approach achieve what brute force did not?
I got creamed as the Finnish in this one as well. I tried to punch a hole on one side of the board but the Russians zipped down the trenches and prevented a full scale breakthrough. The reinforcements just added to the misery and I managed to hit all the real mines and none of the dummies. I see since my playing over six months ago, no one else has logged in a Finnish win into ROAR. The sample size is still very small, but as I said then, I'll say it again, I'd be genuinely interested to see how those three players pulled off a win as the Finnish.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been on a small winning streak against my longtime opponent but it's certainly not due to poor play from him or stellar tactics by me. It just seems the scenarios we have been playing lately have tough victory conditions for the Russians (whom my friend always plays). This scenario, TAC13 Snow and Blood, was no different. To win the Russians must traverse the whole of board 3 in eight turns exiting more VP than the Spanish. Four VP must be infantry. The Russians have three T-26s, but the only way for them to exit at all is to stay in motion the entire game due to the deep snow conditions. This also pretty much limits them to the road (not plowed) so they ended up being a non-factor. I set up on the Hill 522 cluster to interdict the Russian entry. I stuck around a few turns to slow them down and then ran - or rather skied - to the Hill 534 and 547 clusters. I left just enough guys to lay down some resid at key intersections and that was enough. The Russians had almost made it to the infamous M2 building by turn 6, but with five of my squads in position on the hills, there was no way they were going to exit in time. Both sides having skis made buildings useless because of the cost of putting them back on when exiting - and to get anywhere in a timely manner, they needed to be on. I left the village undefended for the most part because if any Russians skied past my squads, they'd never catch up. I'd recommend this one for the Spanish, but not for the Russians. Too much open ground and restrictive weather conditions make this a very tough scenario for them to pull out a win.

Last edited: