So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prelim to Death Night BFP-23 The SS need to break into a village and get a solid foothold. The Armored Infantry need to hold them off. The Hummel could not hit much, SMOKE was more effective than HE with the LV hindrance. For that matter, neither side could shoot well, with the hindrance and high TEM for both sides. Defending from the hedgerows at start with helped the US, it slowed the SS down.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I had the German attackers in GD04 THE ROAD TO LYON. Bruno L'Archeveque had the French defenders.
We gave the French the balance of one less turn and the Germans still won on the last turn. The Germans and French had traveled from one end of the board to the other.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up defending in J167 "Hart Attack" last week against Patch. It's a tight scenario, and the multiple ways for the Allies to get VPs had me stressed out with figuring out a setup. Patch partly threw it out the window by going even further to the north than I had thought about, but at least the one Boresight he walked into was the ATG's, and he lost a Grant early to it.

Patch quickly realized that it was nearly impossible for him to win; I just had to buy a brand of really stinky cheese, which I couldn't stomach. (I might advise that the reinforcing Pz IIIs be disallowed from entering in the Q18-Q20 region.) The next couple turns were a really tense showdown, that I ended up losing, partly because I reinforced failure. After that, my force was shattered, and Patch mopped me up for a last turn win.

Detailed report here.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL3 Czerniakow Bridgehead We spent about 8 hours getting to the end of turn 8 with me playing the Russians. Lots of learning going on for me with the biggest infantry scenario i have played to date and much more urban combat. I had to concede at the end of turn 8 as I ran out of time for our f2f game but I think the Russians had only about a 5% chance of pulling it out at that point (if that). I had totally lost the possibility of winning on VP and even though there were no Germans yet on board 8 there were 30-40 FP within striking distance (20+ of those were the MGs). I took home a few more lessons to try and apply into the future
- better positioning of my leaders on defense. They all needed to be covering fallback for my broken units (I got one killed and one wounded really early)
- use the skulk at every opportunity when you are defending with a much weaker force (I lost a number of units taking fire that I didn't have to)
- WATCH YOUR ROUTE PATHS!!!! I gave up a lot of prisoners early.
- Russian troops with an ELR of 2 really blow!
I had 5 units break (3 of those ELR'd) and 3 pin of my 15 on my opening SSR enforced NMC.
The partisans HIP units both did no real damage but i did have some CC success late in the game with the stealthy partisans. Had a couple of ambush rolls go my way but too late by then.

Really enjoyed the game.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cockroaches Against Panzers BFP-139 I lost my 20-2 AL in the TKS(L) very early. But, the Polish guns more than made up for it. All but one of the guns was silenced in the end, but the Panzers suffered. Back and forth fighting over VP buildings. A late-game German surge took 14 of the 20 required building VP. Polish win. Recommended.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We are in the middle of ASL196 Patton's Prayer. That's a tough little scenario!

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Just wrapped up a SASL conversion of ITR-9 Asia's Stalingrad. I threw in the towel on the last turn when it became clear I couldn't clear the 3rd and last building for the VC. I was knocking on the door but my last remaining FT was out of position, I'd used all my DC-Hero allotment and was low on DC period (only one close to the final building), also two Chinese squads had just activated with a fortified building location in the objective. I had the worst of the dice but I think could've still gotten a win with some better play. I don't have much experience yet with the Japanese, and none in an urban setting. I needed to coordinate my assault better and I think I should've made better use of the infantry smoke available from the assault engineers.

My SASL conversion worked well enough - getting to the last turn with the game more or less still on the line makes the balance seem right. The thing that might get in the way of replaying this one is all the setup it takes (scads of overlays, rubble and debris to place prior to play.)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
CASLO XXI AAR

Open games

SP125 Nunshigum
I had the Japanese defender versus Brent Pollock with the Gurkha attacker. Close game. Keeping the Japanese HMG outside of the VC area helped.

DB129 Silencing Sinzig
I had the German defender versus Brent Pollock with the American recon group attacker. Germans forced Americans to CVP cap of 16 within two turns.

Tournament Games

J41 By Ourselves
Jim Wirthlin and I diced for sides. I received the attacking Norwegian. Jim’s hot dice casued many early casualties to my Norwegians, including an 8-0 leader. Although I was able to take 18 building locations, my troops were unable to hold enough against the German counterattack and sniper.

CDN10 Per l'onore d'Italia
Steve Slunt and I both wanted the attacking Canadians. I received the Italians with the balance of changing an MMG to a HMG. I had early luck on the Italian right with a hip trap catching a leader stacked with a squad and a HS and a light mortar marching down a road. Only the leader survived and that mortar never saw action. Later, the Italian 81 MTR on the Italian right tore into the remaining troops on that flank. On the left, most of the Italians were in the woods and stone building beyond the first woods that the Canadians enter. Unfortunately for Steve, his three remaining mortars managed only one smoke shell. After most of the turns were played, the Canadians were barely starting up the mountain they needed to cross. Steve conceded when he no longer 20 VP to achieve the VC.

FT43 Infantry Probe at Argentan
Bill Slunt and I diced for sides. I received the defending Free French. I hipped two HS with BAZ in orchard road hexes. I lightly defended the FF rightmost building; I defended stronger on the left, and strongest in the middle with the FT. I deployed a lot at the beginning and during the game. Bill attacked mostly in the middle and FF right. One HIP BAZ bagged an SPW 251/1. The right building went down in CC, but took some Germans with them. The FT broke on its first shot, achieving only a TC. The left building was never threatened by infantry, but AFV’s kept those troops in their building until near game end. The middle building was fought over extensively. In the end, I still had one G.O. HS and one melee happening to keep that building for the win.

FT171 Getting Your Bell Rung
Both Brad Hunter and I wanted to attack with the British. I received them and Brad received the balance of a MMG upgraded to a HMG. My infantry attacked up the middle and Brtish left. I made a mistake with the three Shermans by sending them up the left, hoping to somehow get at the German AFV. Instead, one went down to a PF and I was luck a second did not. Plus, my infantry could have used their help in the town. Brad’s Germans fell back, not always in G.O., but enough stayed G.O. that I could not capitalize. When it became obvious that I no longer had time to accomplish the VC, I conceded.

SP96 Husum Hotfoot
Dave Howarth and I both wanted the attacking British with their flame throwing WASPs. I received them and Dave received the balance of an improved German leader. I sent one platoon and a Comet and a WASP up the middle. Everything else went up the right. I missed an turn one opportunity to position troops to stop the Germans from shifting their defense. Some far forward units that I thought were dummies were real and used up precious time to eliminate them. When the right troops cleared the woods and tried to approach the buildings, none of my AFV could provide any smoke, nor could I obtain smoke grenades. Dave had a HMG on level one that could shoot down the middle of the board and into the buildings when I eventually got there. We were both taking casualties. My two WASPs did not run out of fuel, but they were not being decisive either. High rolls were causing 1MC or 2MC attacks. Sometimes the Germans passed, sometimes they failed. The failing ones kept coming back later. Both Comets malfunctioned their MA during the game. Late in the game I went to extreme measures to make things happen. Some did, some did not and I conceded with one turn remaining because it was obvious I could not win.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I won ASL19 Backs to the Sea, as the German attacker. It was a pretty close game, until in the second to last turn the American 8-1 and his stack decided to go berserk and charge my MMG over four hexes of open ground. I rolled a 3KIA on their first hex, and my path was clear. What a fun game!

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
And now I lost ASL196 Patton's Prayer as the German defender. My opponent played a really good game and made no errors I could exploit, and my luck from the beginning was karmically balanced towards the end. I could have won theoretically until the end, and that's why I count this game as a moral victory. :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Finished FT196 Spittelmarkt - my Russians just couldn't place a good shot (or a good DC) on either of the two STuGs. They were expertly packed behind German troops .. in motion, Hull Down behind a barrier or in Bypass with the CAFP well hidden and shrouded in smoke.

I will need to give myself another turn to clear the Spittelmarkt area. It will also be good to have Russian infantry as riders, so they can be taken via bypass thru the German infantry and unloaded into the STuGs for CC.

Here it is -> FT186 Spittelmarkt

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will add to the mayhem: games in progress (PBeM and VASL)

BFP 140 "Iron Greeting" (VASLeague Round 3) - VASL
U39 "The Clearing" - PBeM
J25 "The Weigh In" - VASL
A96 "In Rommel's Wake" - PBeM
AP 72 "Guns For St. Barbara" - PBeM
SP263 "Snova Snare" - PBeM
AP 25 "The Last Day of the Cuneense" - PBeM
FB 10 "Return Of The Black Company" - PBeM (Note* Getting my rear-end handed to me in this one)
BtB 14 "Swatting A Hornet" - PBeM
ASL 39 " Turning the Tables" - PBeM (Cyber League VII)

CG's: "Blitzkrieg In The West" (PBeM), "Bloody Buron" (VASL), RB CG III (VASL)

Up coming games:
AP 111 "The Katanas Come Out At Night" - VASL
J174 "Heart Of Athena" - VASL

I'm semi-retired and just having a blast playing ASL!! .. still suck at it though.
Playing against outstanding opponents I might add.

Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played A89 First Day of Diadem - Italy, 1944, a horde of German 548 assault down a hill and up another, against Free French 458. The scenario has an OBA module on the French side, with an SSR that it only becomes available when the German get on lvl 2 of their target hill, or on French turn 4.

The thing is, there is very little cover on the map, and the OBs have no concealment. I set up my troops in whatever cover there was, but in sight of the German setup area - and with just a little bit of luck, my opponent broke most of my defense with his initial Prep Fire.

The scenario Aftermath says the Germans had a very hard time assaulting up the hill once they were down theirs, but in my play, this is not at all what happened - the hills are close enough together, and the scenario is long enough, that the Germans could keep significant forces in high positions, making it impossible for my defenders to do anything. I conceded on my turn 4, with barely 3 squads (out of 9) alive.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a couple of Annual Classics this week. A103 Mayhem in Manila. My Americans got beat up pretty bad. The Priest got immobilized in bypass before if could get off a shot. My troops had a tough time finding smoke while the Japanese mortar crew had plenty it seemed. All ROF 3 weapons in the Japanese OB where packed in the forward VC building and they dealt out a lot pain. I had a hard time maintaining multi hex fire groups as a result. My FTs were effective but in the end I couldn't get it done. Really an abysmal game unfortunately.

A109 Scouts Out. I defended with the Germans. The American spent a few turns beating the bushes for hipsters but not on hill 520 where I had all my north hipsters parked. The Scotts started smoking in the bridge and the infantry started pilling up to cross the river. But between my HMG overwatch in 41V7 (lvl 1), the northern units, and my ground bridge defense, I stuffed the American infantry on the bridge. But, a daring move by the Americans had four OT vehicles successfully make it over the bridge and through the teeth of my defense unscathed ending up deep in my backfield. This caused me to have to bring the Pz IIIN and some infantry reinforcements on my far left flank to deal with that. I got two of the Americans AFVs before I lost my tank but an American crew abandoned their halftrack and started grabbing up buildings. I realized that I brought too few squads in on that flank to deal with both the last Scott and the M3A1 crew threat. My only hope to keep the US crew from getting the last 3 VC buildings they needed was my HMG location. They had been very effective despite shooting out of +3 WP most of the game and the 7-0 had wounded, Battle Hardened, and then wounded again. But on the last American turn of the game, the US infantry, who managed to only get a half squad over the bridge and into a VC building (tied up in a Melee), finally got the overwhelming US firepower going (better later than never) and broke my HMG squad w/ a 36FP Prep Fire attack. I had nothing left to stop the US crew and only 21/23 CVP I needed to assure a German victory. A tough loss but a fun, close, tense game nonetheless. Those are the best.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a couple of Annual Classics this week. A103 Mayhem in Manila. My Americans got beat up pretty bad. The Priest got immobilized in bypass before if could get off a shot. My troops had a tough time finding smoke while the Japanese mortar crew had plenty it seemed. All ROF 3 weapons in the Japanese OB where packed in the forward VC building and they dealt out a lot pain. I had a hard time maintaining multi hex fire groups as a result. My FTs were effective but in the end I couldn't get it done. Really an abysmal game unfortunately.

A109 Scouts Out. I defended with the Germans. The American spent a few turns beating the bushes for hipsters but not on hill 520 where I had all my north hipsters parked. The Scotts started smoking in the bridge and the infantry started pilling up to cross the river. But between my HMG overwatch in 41V7 (lvl 1), the northern units, and my ground bridge defense, I stuffed the American infantry on the bridge. But, a daring move by the Americans had four OT vehicles successfully make it over the bridge and through the teeth of my defense unscathed ending up deep in my backfield. This caused me to have to bring the Pz IIIN and some infantry reinforcements on my far left flank to deal with that. I got two of the Americans AFVs before I lost my tank but an American crew abandoned their halftrack and started grabbing up buildings. I realized that I brought too few squads in on that flank to deal with both the last Scott and the M3A1 crew threat. My only hope to keep the US crew from getting the last 3 VC buildings they needed was my HMG location. They had been very effective despite shooting out of +3 WP most of the game and the 7-0 had wounded, Battle Hardened, and then wounded again. But on the last American turn of the game, the US infantry, who managed to only get a half squad over the bridge and into a VC building (tied up in a Melee), finally got the overwhelming US firepower going (better later than never) and broke my HMG squad w/ a 36FP Prep Fire attack. I had nothing left to stop the US crew and only 21/23 CVP I needed to assure a German victory. A tough loss but a fun, close, tense game nonetheless. Those are the best.
Scouts Out sounds like great fun. Sorry to hear that Manila did not go well for you. Remember that errata to Scouts Out has increased the American CVP cap from 23 to 28.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scouts Out sounds like great fun. Sorry to hear that Manila did not go well for you. Remember that errata to Scouts Out has increased the American CVP cap from 23 to 28.
Both of these scenarios are great fun. Manila was just one of those playings where nothing went right. It happens. Can you point me towards errata for Scouts Out? We checked and didn't see any errata for the scenario on MMP's site: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLOfficialErrata/tabid/107/Default.aspx#ScenCards

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's in the YANKS updates in J11.
The J11 errata and updates haven't migrated to the website yet. :(

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played ESG109 Backs to the Wall a scenario with 1940 Brits. The initial layout ressembles a bit too much Encircle This! for my taste. However the defending Brits have to retreat towards the board 23 bridges as they are hard-pressed by the Germans, which makes the scenario more dynamic. Most vehicules have thin armor, which is good for excitement. I think the scenario is a tad pro-german as the British have few options to hide from german fire. In all cases the British defense should make best use of the reinforcing vehicles to hope to save the day. Decent scenario

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kukris at Long Kien VftT Brit Pack Fast playing, tiny scenario Viet Minh against Gurkhas. So fast in fact, we played it twice. My Gurkhas took it on the chin in the first playing. 3-3-7's never shoot that well when they are my troops. I did better in the second go. I took the fort, but the Viet Minh routed away to avoid counting as CVP. I caught up with, and interdicted 2 squads, which gave me enough CVP. Not bad for such a small scenario.