So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO22 The Cost of Non-Compliance. My opponent took it on the chin as the Russians. I read about this one on this forum and I have to agree with the players' assessments. Running the Board 66 gauntlet is seriously tough for the poor Russians! Too much open ground, weak tanks (for the most part), radioless AFVs, no smoke, defender controlling the heights combined with good ROF weapons, and a long way to go in 5 1/2 turns makes for one tough assignment. The last time I saw a drubbing like this was when I had my behind handed to me as the Germans in FrF10 Assault on Wielki Dzial. Same problem - too much open ground, defenders controlling the heights, and plenty of high ROF weapons. I almost never recommend against, but from what I saw today, avoid this one as the Russians.
I lost as the Russians, but would have no qualms taking them again. It's by no means a dog. In fact, I may like the Russians a little. Hard to say after only playing and I haven't really looked at it again. Russians just need a good plan on what the AFVs are doing, some need to hide, some need to block/fight infantry and some need to be on protection duty (anti tank).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cremation Station BFP ITR-11 Nice urban slugfest. My Chinese were kinda slow getting going, and my Fighter Bomber was the comic relief for the whole scenario. (Passed every TC- never inflicted more than an MC result, and could not kill tanks for anything... Finally dropped it's bomb- and missed.) In the end, the Japanese still had 2 striped 2nd line squads left in the railroad station. I needed one more turn.

Good scenario.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clearing Kakazu ASL J17 The least cave-ey of the Kakazu Ridge scenarios. This is a fight for the village at the back of the hill. Tough sledding for my Americans to begin with. But, all three flamethrowers kept running for the whole scenario, which broke the back of the IJA. T-H Heroes could not get near a Sherman either. Plenty of Japanese sneakiness, but US firepower won the day.

Recommended.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice! I know this is a thread about what scenarios you've played but I have to mention this in regard to your story. WAY back when when I first started playing Squad Leader and all those other Avalon Hill games, I just threw the counters in the box. As SL expanded, my buddy, who I still battle with weekly, realized we had to sort them because it took forever to find the pieces we needed. I bought a bunch of tiny Ziploc baggies and we sorted them. My girlfriend at the time helped me label all those baggies by writing the identifications on masking tape that I stuck to them. I still use them to this day even though there are counter trays and other methods for sorting. Though many of the baggies have been replaced with new ones with new labels, I occasionally run across some with her handwriting on them - like my Italian set. For an 18 year-old girl to take the time to do that for me, that's love. And now we've been married for almost 30 years.

Although she still doesn't care about ASL...
Yup, 36 here and while she also doesn't care about the game, she definitely cares about me. It's nice when you find one who respects your likes and dislikes and by extension, respects you. ;-) The geeks get all the good ones. :) We now return you to your regularly scheduled AAR's.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, 36 here and while she also doesn't care about the game, she definitely cares about me. It's nice when you find one who respects your likes and dislikes and by extension, respects you. ;-) The geeks get all the good ones. :) We now return you to your regularly scheduled AAR's.

Mine always asks "How did your ASL game go? " :)

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 56 Half a Chance. Its status as a dog continues...unless you're playing as the Italians!

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 56 Half a Chance. Its status as a dog continues...unless you're playing as the Italians!
I didn't know it had the status of a dog, but I know there are people who think the Italians are highly favored. They are wrong, however. The British are harder to play, however.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't know it had the status of a dog, but I know there are people who think the Italians are highly favored. They are wrong, however. The British are harder to play, however.
Well, I quoted a stat earlier about another scenario that at the time favored the Germans seven wins to three for the Russians. Another player correctly posted that it was still to early to tell from only 10 playings. With this one, however, ROAR has it as as seven wins for the British to 33 for the Italians. That's an 82.5% win rate for the Italians. I realize that ROAR is not the final word in these matters, but for this scenario, I think the sample size is adequate enough to see something is going on. Irregardless, I play them all no matter the odds. Who doesn't like a nice challenge?!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aloha
Not sure if my input matters, as so infrequently I play FTF
But when I did,and being as OCD as I am...
ToT were some of the most fun I ever played...
Never really understood the complaint of SSR's by some...
Was like "OMG" ur an ASL player, and u not like extra stuff?...lol
( will now say helped play test Some Tot stuff). lol

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J186 Castles on the Horizon. Came down to a mad dash, intensive firing last turn to take one more hillock summit. Take it and win, fail and lose. Pretty exciting ending. Nice scenario!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Yesterday I played a local opponent (Kevin Conley) whom I rarely play and was shocked how well he played. He usually plays with the Derek Ritter crowd whom I will see next weekend at his annual ASL gathering chez lui. We played Anatoly's Ambush [SP255] that went back and forth until he got his last tank off on the last turn. At the end of turn four he only had two mobile tanks needed for the win against my Russians who all game went toe to toe with his panzers. It was quite exiting and exhausting with HIP AFV's as well as the total of 18 AFV's that really lengthen the game as they juke and jive on the two boards. In the end it was his infantry which took out my last tanks interdicting the all important road as he ignored the village victory condition. The turning point was when my 9-2 leader tank had to take a prep intensive fire shot needing a ten to hit which I got but broke the B#11 tube. The German defensive fire shot got him while rolling rate which justified my taking the risky IF shot. Great scenario from Schwerpunkt and I noticed it is on both the ASL Open and Bitter Ender playlists.

One thing we noticed is how deadly the German SPW 251/1's can be with the AAMG against poorly armored Russian vehicles. They do not suffer case C on bounding fire, can get rate and are hard to hit on the move.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got shellacked as the Germans in G9 Sunday of the Dead. The game was by no means over when I thew in the towel after Turn 5 but the scenario had lost its most important attribute for me - the fun factor. Rolling crew survival rolls and watching my men get torn up by two batteries of OBA isn't fun. No PMC required. There just wasn't much to do other than watch the carnage. I still had artillery and had taken out one of the three 25 pounders I needed to so the game could still could be won. I just decided to move on. Good win for my buddy who has seen victory snatched away from him at the last second lately.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
No PMC required. There just wasn't much to do other than watch the carnage.
I have to smile sometimes when an opponent rolls dice to check his PMC saying, I'm an eight or worse and continues on whatever the roll. Our NC "Bitter Ender" tournament says it all, "We don't need any stinking PMC's."

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to smile sometimes when an opponent rolls dice to check his PMC saying, I'm an eight or worse and continues on whatever the roll. Our NC "Bitter Ender" tournament says it all, "We don't need any stinking PMC's."
Ha! I've never actually rolled for one, but in my younger days I did rage quit from time to time. Now when things go awry, I usually lean back in my chair, take a deep breath, rub my hands over my face and through my hair, and then exhale. No need to do that with this scenario today, though. Today's game was one of those scenarios where I just watched in awe as my forces disintegrated right in front of me. I let my friend enjoy himself until I had seen enough. I mean, just because it was going horrible for me, doesn't mean he wasn't enjoying it - and he most certainly was!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Despite TDing at the Noreaster since Thursday, I did manage to get a couple of games in. BFP118 Kozina Klash vs Gary Mei and BFP48, Ninth Tanks vs Mark Evans.

In Kozina, I had the Poles and was able to hold onto the last VC building with the two turreted CMG tank against swarming German infantry. This scenario was a BIG favorite in Round One with almost all the games played being of it. The game with Gary went right down the wire as our games usually do. Finally, needing low odds, a 47* shot into the key melee with my CMG two turret tank, scratching his back and insuring the win. Excellent, down to the wire game with dramatic momentum shifts back and forth.

In Ninth Tanks, we were considerably further along into the tournament and suspect the fatigue got to Mark. He did not realize I had walked into on top of and through his Japanese 12.7, until well after the fact. so he removed that with no effect. We also both forgot Molotov capability was available to the Japanese. So, definitely not a "representative playing". I did win with the Americans. The scenario had one humorous moment when a 3-4-7 of mine ambushed a Japanese Conscript Squad and successfully captured it. I then promptly released him back into the wild as an unarmed unit. I dubbed him the "conscript whisperer." We had a good time with the scenario.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I have to submit a question (Führer Directive) to Perry as to whether the HIP Russians may drop concealment during setup to deny the Germans their concealment.
Perry's answer, short and sweet as usual....(also posted in the rules question thread)

You can decline HIP for a given unit during setup, but once HIP a unit cannot drop HIP until play has begun.

....Perry
MMP

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Perry's answer, short and sweet as usual....(also posted in the rules question thread)

You can decline HIP for a given unit during setup, but once HIP a unit cannot drop HIP until play has begun.

....Perry
MMP
You might want to copy this into the Perry Sez thread, too.

von Marwitz

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taking Heads ASL AP 59 My Filipinos defended along the board seam between 48 and 3a. I did the fight and fall back thing mostly well. The M3 GMCs were very vulnerable, even with friendly infantry in the same hex. The IJA got a toe hold in the village, but no further. Nice medium sized PTO action.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Two Night actions...

DB 068 Exit Pole.....Night, DASL, Allied Minors, what's not to love? Poles eventually broke the German line when a 2-4-8 HS (BH'd) took out the 9-2/4-6-7/HMG combo in HtH CC. It was too little too late, however. Poles only exited about 3/4 of the required EVP. Kind of tough on the Poles with the 'shrunken' hex frontage of DASL maps, infiltration is doubly difficult with so little lateral real estate to work with. The same sentiment can be applied to starshells; only 2 or 3 need to go up and the whole playing area is practically lit up. Good fun.

U16 Under Cover Of Darkness.....Once again, the Poles are sneaking around at night. They managed to take 6 of the 8 (6 needed) VC buildings, but in Turn 6 the Germans managed to take one back. Polska fought their way back into one with about 1 turn left, but a successful Ambush came to naught. The final German 1/2 turn saw Jerry retain Control of the hotly contested 6th VC building for the win. Balance seemed dead-on. A Pro and a Con...(Pro) Interesting SSR wherein the Poles hit a 'seam' between different German units, and Germans setup on either side of the map can not enter the opposite half without being eliminated...(Con) Kind of Night-lite with starshells being NA, and those are always fun to freak the troops out with! Enjoyable as well!