So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
true that. the only really effective weapons vs a fortified stone building ground level are full-tracked AFVs, capable of creating "insta-breaches" when entering, if they can be spared to do so. Infantry alone are gonna take a LOT of time to clear a fort stone building.
I prefer flamethrowing tanks.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
fire is a good way to dig out the dug in defenders. The real crippler there a a standard tactic is A: not enough scenarios with flame weapons in the built up urban areas and B: that pesky grudge SSR : " Kindling is NA.". But it does work to some good extent in places like RB, where one can kindle if a FT is not nearby.

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The droll Dennis of Donovan and I got in quite some progress into an old KE scenario KE8 from the march madness 97 pack last night. The ami tanks were taking far too long and dallying about the back ,fearful of a HIP Pak 40 ATG - so they spent a lot of time firing smoke mortars and WP round rather than moving, but the dalliances of Dennis' dominions sent a large stack of 6-6-6s and a ldr into the boresighted hex for the ATG- causing it to reveal itself finally and fire an He round ( for devastating effect- ELRing a sqd, CR and ELRing another sqd, and pinning the 8-0 ldr with them while breaking the third sqd. )

The ATG got in some very effective fire, allowing the German 9-2 MMG nest ot safely withdraw from the front lines to the rear - the only shots Dennis managed on them as they ran only BH'd the 9-2 into a 10-2, BH'd the 467 MMG sqd into a 4-6-8 and made a hero. a nearby 8-1 fell bakc as well with another brkn 4-6-7 and managed to create a strong defense at the building. It was needed, as Dennis minons are now using the bocage to advance on one flank and the front at the same time, remaining VERY cautious of the main approach routes for fear of 10-2 led FL's and ldr or hero led 4-6-7 fire. The ATG malf'd on its last shot, but before it did it managed to break yet another 6-6-6 and is now in a fine position to attempt repairs, well protected by leaders and MG fire.

This is a fun little DASL game, only a single board and bocage in play. A twist for DASL games - a SSR prevents any HTH CC - so all of our CCs have been the good old fashioned way- leading to more melees than outright CC kills.

We will probably finish this next week. Looking forward to it.

KRL, Jon H

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got back from the KC tourney. I went 4-1, with the first four scenarios being first time playings from me. I thought I would post here, as these will be quick summaries rather than a full blown AAR.

J191 Rebels Without a Cause. Not a bad scenario, but nothing special. I won as the German which I think may be favored a bit. The first big building is tough to take or even bypass and attack elsewhere. The Slovaks have three tanks and a 10-2 leader and not much else. VC #2 seems to be the only viable choice.

DB127 Grand Hotel Britannia. I won as the British. Certainly an interesting set up, with both sides in the same building and then a smoke OBA module coming down in the middle of it. Again, I think my Brits are favored and the scenario just so-so. The Germans need a perfect set up to slow down the Brits.

J189 Buckley's Block. I was leery of this one as the Americans with only 6 squads, but that worry proved unneeded. This was a great scenario for being so small. Lots of banzaiing and cringing with every DR. My Americans hung on for the win. Highly recommended if you need a quick one.

Finally the big round, ESG24 Mayhem. Great game! Lots going on in this one, Russians on the hill and Russian reinforcements abound. The German force is very stout with a 9-2, elite troops, and good AFVs. Germans need to clear the big hill of Russians GO troops and or kill all AFVs. Started badly and my ROF 3 weapons got zilch as the Germans entered the board and positioned in the first two turns. Two of my squads and a 8-1 leader went berserk and charged off the victory hill. Things looked bleak for me as my reinforcements pushed up the hill. Things turned mid game as I got a lucky roll for a k/ result on the German 9-2, he died and the LLMC decimated a stack. Pressure was relieved for awhile, but the Germans regrouped for the end game push. I think my infantry was going to get cleaned up on the hill, but it didn't matter since on the last turn my last AFV broke his MA. Of course the repair attempt was a 6 to give the Germans the win. Shame my infantry couldn't have at least fought it out and perhaps given me a chance to win.

Rockets Red Glare. The classic, what else can you say. My Americans pushed thru the town center for the win.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played J185 The Haunted Castle and won as the Germans. One word describes my playing - luck. I must have rolled at least 10 threes when firing at the Russians. My average roll when firing had to be a six or lower. As it was, it still took me until the bottom of Turn 5 to take all the locations. When a PBF shot at 16 +3 on Building AA6 from my opponent failed, he called it. Despite the win, I think this one favors the Russians. My great rolls kept him on the ropes so his reinforcements had difficulty moving up. Had they reached CC6 I think they would be hard to root out. I can't give an accurate recommendation since luck basically ruined any chance for a meaningful playing. However, I think it's worth a play if time is short as it only took us a couple of hours to complete.
I got this one in today. Seems Elvis and the band were playing "Jailhouse Rock" as the Germans moved up whereas my Russian NKVD reinforcements were too timid to risk interdiction. In the end Elvis was alone in the haunted castle (65CC6) and left the building never to be seen again at the bottom of turn six. I was holding my own until a CC roll of eyes blew away my left flank. I have to submit a question (Führer Directive) to Perry as to whether the HIP Russians may drop concealment during setup to deny the Germans their concealment.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got this one in today. Seems Elvis and the band were playing "Jailhouse Rock" as the Germans moved up whereas my Russian NKVD reinforcements were too timid to risk interdiction. In the end Elvis was alone in the haunted castle (65CC6) and left the building never to be seen again at the bottom of turn six. I was holding my own until a CC roll of eyes blew away my left flank. I have to submit a question (Führer Directive) to Perry as to whether the HIP Russians may drop concealment during setup to deny the Germans their concealment.
Getting past the 65X hexrow is tough for the Russians. I set up the 8-1, a squad, MMG, and the 75 ART in X9 to interdict the oncoming reinforcements. Like I said about my playing, incredible rolls helped my cause, but if the Russians are aggressive and can run past that point, they will be hard to dig out. I think putting a Russian squad with the LMG and the 8-1 leader on the second floor or CC6 or DD6 is necessary to prevent the German reinforcements from simply marching up through open ground unimpeded. I ended up smoking both hexes, but smoke is finicky. A sneaky Russian player might also think about putting a HIP squad in Z6, AA7, or AA8 to prevent an early German rush from the on board units.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
This is a short and fun scenario, perfect for a work night (if you are not retired like me). Dave Stephens did exactly as you said and I had to use concealed assault moves to move my reinforcements through this corridor of death. I think I just should have went for a rush with the commissar and company and if breaking, hoping to rally in Y1 if that move goes south.
Not knowing about the concealment situation during setup means forgoing a prep fire on 65X to perhaps mess up this interdicting position. I moved two squads and the MMG up to V5 which helped a bit but I should have used these to reinforce the building. C'est la guerre.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "The Meat Grinder" yesterday.
Fun, but the Germans need some help against a good Russian player.

vetsurg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J130 The Art of Dying from J9 with ASLSarge yesterday. Sarge is kind enough to tutor me as we play as I am learning AFV's. My Russians had a good day as they rolled lots of 3's when it counted and Sarge's Italians made a valiant effort up to the last turn but just couldn't pull off the VC's in the end. Honestly, I don't see how the Italians can win this one as it's pretty tough for them to pull off with the Russian ground force support. Lots of fun and Sarge is a great teacher!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO22 The Cost of Non-Compliance. My opponent took it on the chin as the Russians. I read about this one on this forum and I have to agree with the players' assessments. Running the Board 66 gauntlet is seriously tough for the poor Russians! Too much open ground, weak tanks (for the most part), radioless AFVs, no smoke, defender controlling the heights combined with good ROF weapons, and a long way to go in 5 1/2 turns makes for one tough assignment. The last time I saw a drubbing like this was when I had my behind handed to me as the Germans in FrF10 Assault on Wielki Dzial. Same problem - too much open ground, defenders controlling the heights, and plenty of high ROF weapons. I almost never recommend against, but from what I saw today, avoid this one as the Russians.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
ASL195 Rocket's Red Glare. I play the American attacker. First turn, first shot of my M36B1 GMC, gun malf's. I won a CC, though, so it was not all bad.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. It sounds like they had fun playing it but they commented directly or hinted at the difficulty of getting the Russian infantry to the stone buildings. I agree. My opponent even threw a large human wave at me and he still came up short of fully crossing Board 66. With the MTR, 37L, and Mk. III sitting on the hill (the 105 was there as well but was preoccupied by approaching T-34s), plus a nearby Mk. II in 76N10 (with a malfunctioning MA) and squads/support weapons with good LOS (76H8, 76N8, 76P8, 76P9, 76V8, 66K8, and 66P9) cost him dearly. The Russians could always try the long way around I suppose but the clock is ticking. As of right now, ROAR has it 70% pro German on 10 playings. That's approaching War Dog status (as the site puts it).

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J184 Dayan to Meet You. The victory conditions are weird. The Australians win at game end by Controlling all building hexes and/or Controlling the bridge Location in GG8. The way my opponent and I interpreted it, the only way for the Australians to win is to control the bridge no matter what they do with the buildings.

My opponent, playing as the Australians, pushed strong towards Building X2 to prevent the MTR and AT Gun located there from interdicting his reinforcements moving towards the bridge. The MTR somehow survived until Turn 3. With few Vichy defenders, I parked my reinforcements in and around the bridge. A hero and a half squad managed to get close but were blown away by point blank fire. Too much open ground for the Australians to cover, in my opinion.

For the Vichy, I'm sad to say, but I found this scenario kind of boring. I basically just sat there waiting for my opponent’s moves. The set up is pretty much preordained. Because of the importance of the bridge, the Vichy reinforcements would be wise to park there and wait. Not much strategy involved on my part. It plays super quick though, so this is an easy scenario to throw in if the main scenario for the day turns out to be a bust (assuming you have the board).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J184 Dayan to Meet You. The victory conditions are weird. The Australians win at game end by Controlling all building hexes and/or Controlling the bridge Location in GG8. The way my opponent and I interpreted it, the only way for the Australians to win is to control the bridge no matter what they do with the buildings.

My opponent, playing as the Australians, pushed strong towards Building X2 to prevent the MTR and AT Gun located there from interdicting his reinforcements moving towards the bridge. The MTR somehow survived until Turn 3. With few Vichy defenders, I parked my reinforcements in and around the bridge. A hero and a half squad managed to get close but were blown away by point blank fire. Too much open ground for the Australians to cover, in my opinion.

For the Vichy, I'm sad to say, but I found this scenario kind of boring. I basically just sat there waiting for my opponent’s moves. The set up is pretty much preordained. Because of the importance of the bridge, the Vichy reinforcements would be wise to park there and wait. Not much strategy involved on my part. It plays super quick though, so this is an easy scenario to throw in if the main scenario for the day turns out to be a bust (assuming you have the board).
And/or is just in there to prevent someone saying you did both so didn't win. And/or means just that in this case. All the buildings, or the bridge, or both. The other way, if you do both, someone could claim the VC was not fulfilled. Personally I think that is ridiculous, but I get why the and/or gets put in there.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As of right now, ROAR has it 70% pro German on 10 playings. That's approaching War Dog status (as the site puts it).
This number of playings is insuffisant to draw statistical conclusions. And i very much doubt it will get the dog label, though i admit the attack is not easy.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This number of playings is insuffisant to draw statistical conclusions. And i very much doubt it will get the dog label, though i admit the attack is not easy.
Yeah, I knew someone would bring that up and I agree. But there's no denying the early returns show a distinct advantage for the Germans so far. That's all I was saying.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And/or is just in there to prevent someone saying you did both so didn't win. And/or means just that in this case. All the buildings, or the bridge, or both. The other way, if you do both, someone could claim the VC was not fulfilled. Personally I think that is ridiculous, but I get why the and/or gets put in there.
Weird. Why couldn't the Victory Conditions then be written something like this: "The Australians win at game end if either one of the following two victory conditions are fulfilled: 1) They control all building locations or 2) They control the bridge. Fulfilling both conditions also results in an Australian win." That's off the top of my head so it could be refined, but it's clearer than the way they are written.

However, I just asked my wife - who cares nothing about ASL (blasphemy, I know) - what she thought the Australians were supposed to do and she said, "Control all the buildings or control the bridge." Chalk one up for the wife!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Weird. Why couldn't the Victory Conditions then be written something like this: "The Australians win at game end if either one of the following two victory conditions are fulfilled: 1) They control all building locations or 2) They control the bridge. Fulfilling both conditions also results in an Australian win." That's off the top of my head so it could be refined, but it's clearer than the way they are written.

However, I just asked my wife - who cares nothing about ASL (blasphemy, I know) - what she thought the Australians were supposed to do and she said, "Control all the buildings or control the bridge." Chalk one up for the wife!
Lol, don't you hate that? My favorite wife story was my wife looking at an old SL ft counter. "Hon, what's this?" The counter had an overhead view of the top of the packs and the hose bowed out to go around the body, leading up to the nozzle. Said I, "Oh, that's a flame thrower." "Hmmm, looks like a cat on a hook." Of course the worst part was, it looked like a cat on a hook.

Ya can't fight city hall.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lol, don't you hate that? My favorite wife story was my wife looking at an old SL ft counter. "Hon, what's this?" The counter had an overhead view of the top of the packs and the hose bowed out to go around the body, leading up to the nozzle. Said I, "Oh, that's a flame thrower." "Hmmm, looks like a cat on a hook." Of course the worse part was, it looked like a cat on a hook.

Ya can't fight city hall.
Nice! I know this is a thread about what scenarios you've played but I have to mention this in regard to your story. WAY back when when I first started playing Squad Leader and all those other Avalon Hill games, I just threw the counters in the box. As SL expanded, my buddy, who I still battle with weekly, realized we had to sort them because it took forever to find the pieces we needed. I bought a bunch of tiny Ziploc baggies and we sorted them. My girlfriend at the time helped me label all those baggies by writing the identifications on masking tape that I stuck to them. I still use them to this day even though there are counter trays and other methods for sorting. Though many of the baggies have been replaced with new ones with new labels, I occasionally run across some with her handwriting on them - like my Italian set. For an 18 year-old girl to take the time to do that for me, that's love. And now we've been married for almost 30 years.

Although she still doesn't care about ASL...