So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually there are three other scenarios that have Belgian counter attacks, ASL 88 Art Nouveau, ASL Rescue attempt and A Splendid Counter.

Scott

I am very happy that you enjoyed this scenario.
It's a rare occasion where you can see Belgian tanks and troops on bicycles counterattacking the German!.

Thanks.
Lionel

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tonight I played Defiance on Hill 30 against a local guy - Bill - who is getting back into the game. It came down to CC in the last player turn - and I lost. After another game or two there'll be no advice given and we'll get REALLY serious :)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished J41 BY OURSELVES. My Norwegians had taken 19 building locations (with casualties) and the starting Germans were gone. The German counter attack was starting when the sniper took out the only German leader in the factory area. Once a few German units broke, Bruno conceded. We started and finished LSSAH1 OPENING FIRE. Bruno forgot on German turn 1 to shoot IFT attacks at the AC to leave residual in the bridge exit hex. The AC then locked his units and my Germans crossed the bridge in strength. It is very important to remember the Dawn LV DRM and the Mist LV DRM to attacks. One AC went down to a CC attack while in bypass. All of the Polish at-start units were prisoners or eliminated before the Polish reinforcements entered. They were unable to get close to the bridge.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished J41 BY OURSELVES. My Norwegians had taken 19 building locations (with casualties) and the starting Germans were gone. The German counter attack was starting when the sniper took out the only German leader in the factory area. Once a few German units broke, Bruno conceded. We started and finished LSSAH1 OPENING FIRE. Bruno forgot on German turn 1 to shoot IFT attacks at the AC to leave residual in the bridge exit hex. The AC then locked his units and my Germans crossed the bridge in strength. It is very important to remember the Dawn LV DRM and the Mist LV DRM to attacks. One AC went down to a CC attack while in bypass. All of the Polish at-start units were prisoners or eliminated before the Polish reinforcements entered. They were unable to get close to the bridge.
It seems you and Bruno are each other's whipping boy. It is good to have a regular opponent, especially one who like myself is retired. I noted these scenarios go back some years. I just finished "A Time for Trumpets" and noted TOT's first scenario pack covering the "Bulge" lifted verbatim whole passages from McDonald's book. Bottom line on these scenarios back in the day were that the balance was suspect. ROAR seems to bear this out though it might not dissuade me from trying some of these again.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrapped up a playing of J189 Buckley's Block as the attacking Japanese versus the defending Marines at our friendly local game store (FLGS). We enjoyed it very much as it played pretty balanced. Japanese need to get 20 VP and this is accomplished through CVP and EVP. It felt very tight the entire way with the Japanese getting a few breaks that helped the cause including a SAN that broke a surrounded 668 and a CXing Japanese leader that was able to surround another broken 668. Both were out of the game for FTR.

The sneaky American 37LL was pretty hot with multiple ROF, but the results rolls were less effective. In about T4, I banzai-ed a single Japanese leader to lock up a 668. He survived, so mission accomplished as it allowed other units to get by it and set the Japanese to get behind the defense. In the ensuing CC, I roll a 1,3 (-1) on the 1-6 HTH to take out the 668. The next CC involved the 37LL/crew and it gets ambushed. The 1-1 (-2) goes my way. By this time, I am looking good on CVP with several units poised to exit next turn with no real way for them to be stopped. The Americans call it a day.

This scenario feels very tight, tense with perhaps a very slight nod to the American. I requires the an interesting tension of force preservation for both sides and assertive movement for the Japanese in order to beat the EVP "clock". A nice scenario.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished my playing of Tornado Of Souls with Vic Rosso today. My French getting it done against the Germans. Vic's troops could not quite get it going to get the main ville taken. Eleven building hexes were needed, but we called it with one movement phase left and the chances of getting it done, pretty much impossible. This is a very interesting little scenario. France 40. Fair amount of armor and a different twist on the VC, in that you are not grabbing buildings, but building hexes to win.

Two pieces of errata, one, the Germans need greater than or equal to 11 building hexes, not less than, as the card reads. Also, the 37L German tanks should be the German PZ38TA, not 35TA. The values shown on the card are correct, but the designation is incorrect.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had my first face-to-face ASL game with @DWPetros , playing ASL 14 Silence that Gun! Don absolutely brutalized my attacking paratroopers, with his HMG & MMG kill stack in the fortified building going on a rate tear and breaking 3 different locations in one turn. Many a boxcar MC / rally attempt was thrown by yours truly as well.

Lesson learned today - fortified stone buildings are a real bitch.

Alan

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Had my first face-to-face ASL game with @DWPetros , playing ASL 14 Silence that Gun! Don absolutely brutalized my attacking paratroopers, with his HMG & MMG kill stack in the fortified building going on a rate tear and breaking 3 different locations in one turn. Many a boxcar MC / rally attempt was thrown by yours truly as well.

Alan

Never stand in front of a ROF 3 weapon was a lesson I learned long ago. It never ends well.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Doesn't need ROF 3 to make it dangerous. In a recent playing of DB130 ("Tigers and Flames"), I needed to hurt at least one of the three Tigers, and sent a number of units to try and get something done (the Russians Elites have MOL in the scenario). I think between them, the Tigers got 8 or 9 MA shots, without resorting to Intensive Fire - just an abnormal streak of ROF 1 shots. Needless to say, the scenario ended badly for me (I was already in a kind of desperate situation, which was the reason I tried such dangerous tactics. And when I conceded, my opponent said I was actually winning - but he had counted the Rowhouse for 3 buildings instead of 1)

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J185 The Haunted Castle and won as the Germans. One word describes my playing - luck. I must have rolled at least 10 threes when firing at the Russians. My average roll when firing had to be a six or lower. As it was, it still took me until the bottom of Turn 5 to take all the locations. When a PBF shot at 16 +3 on Building AA6 from my opponent failed, he called it. Despite the win, I think this one favors the Russians. My great rolls kept him on the ropes so his reinforcements had difficulty moving up. Had they reached CC6 I think they would be hard to root out. I can't give an accurate recommendation since luck basically ruined any chance for a meaningful playing. However, I think it's worth a play if time is short as it only took us a couple of hours to complete.

Last edited:

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not overly exciting but I played my first scenario (after a lengthy learning scenario) - S3 Simple Equation. Played ASLSK rules but with a few ASL rules (like HOB) thrown to keep up the learning curve. I played the Germans. It was a great game and with some coaching from my opponent the outcome wasn't fully resolved until the last movement. I held stern in the middle keeping that nasty flamethrower at bay. Eventually, I had to pull back on the left flank to support the middle and my right flank eventually collapsed allowing an end run to claim enough of the building hexes to win the game. If I played again, I might use my reinforced buildings on the flanks to give the lighter forces more help. Ultimately, the conscripts did well but broke in the end. Good fun and an introduction to some of the support weapons.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Wrapped up a playing of J189 Buckley's Block as the attacking Japanese versus the defending Marines at our friendly local game store (FLGS). We enjoyed it very much as it played pretty balanced. Japanese need to get 20 VP and this is accomplished through CVP and EVP. It felt very tight the entire way with the Japanese getting a few breaks that helped the cause including a SAN that broke a surrounded 668 and a CXing Japanese leader that was able to surround another broken 668. Both were out of the game for FTR.

The sneaky American 37LL was pretty hot with multiple ROF, but the results rolls were less effective. In about T4, I banzai-ed a single Japanese leader to lock up a 668. He survived, so mission accomplished as it allowed other units to get by it and set the Japanese to get behind the defense. In the ensuing CC, I roll a 1,3 (-1) on the 1-6 HTH to take out the 668. The next CC involved the 37LL/crew and it gets ambushed. The 1-1 (-2) goes my way. By this time, I am looking good on CVP with several units poised to exit next turn with no real way for them to be stopped. The Americans call it a day.

This scenario feels very tight, tense with perhaps a very slight nod to the American. I requires the an interesting tension of force preservation for both sides and assertive movement for the Japanese in order to beat the EVP "clock". A nice scenario.
I got this scenario in today as the Japanese. No firing on turn one and very few unconcealed units. I moved to attack positions on turn two after having rolled a ten for more rain and despite the extra cover, everyone of my 4-5-8's were striped failing 1 or NMC for absolutely no results this turn as well as getting a leader wounded. On turn three I had to get something going. I had two DC toting squads on my right flank, one of which created a DC hero whereas the other pinned. The DC hero moved against an MMG and two squads which for some reason Dave Stephens had stacked together during his advance phase. Not having rolled well up to this point of the game my hero survived a 30+1 as the one Marine with the MMG cowered and then when faced with TBF they were both pinned by rolling an 8 to cower. In my best roll so far I tossed a 4 for a 1 KIA which cleared this flank of two marine squads. Things began to quickly fall apart and turn four the marine HMG, halfsquad and leader went down to another DC hero on the same flank after rolling a boxcars in first fire. After that is was a matter of mopping up the rest of the marines which were forced to use their 37mm which failed to do anything. My poor dice continued on my left flank failing in two CC's to win ambush and dying in one CC but tying up a leader with a squad and half in the other. I got a hit on the melee in the Marine turn four and rolled a K/1 breaking all but the marine leader but reducing my squad and a half to a half squad after getting a Yahtzee on my men. That is when Dave conceded. After thinking I was out of the game, it turned around completely for me. Fun scenario (if you win).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Rich D and I played DB130 Tigers and Flames earlier this week with my Russians taking the win on the last turn. Very fun scenario and one I would highly recommend to anyone that enjoys the eastern front. Alo would recommend giving the Germans the balance, I had one T-34 FT tank left by game end, but those guys give the Russians a huge advantage if any survive at scenario end. Anyway, a good scenario in a year that has seen few and far between (hey I used a pete shelling scenario title lol) good scenarios.

Scott

Doesn't need ROF 3 to make it dangerous. In a recent playing of DB130 ("Tigers and Flames"), I needed to hurt at least one of the three Tigers, and sent a number of units to try and get something done (the Russians Elites have MOL in the scenario). I think between them, the Tigers got 8 or 9 MA shots, without resorting to Intensive Fire - just an abnormal streak of ROF 1 shots. Needless to say, the scenario ended badly for me (I was already in a kind of desperate situation, which was the reason I tried such dangerous tactics. And when I conceded, my opponent said I was actually winning - but he had counted the Rowhouse for 3 buildings instead of 1)

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Rich D and I played DB130 Tigers and Flames earlier this week with my Russians taking the win on the last turn. Very fun scenario and one I would highly recommend to anyone that enjoys the eastern front. Also would recommend giving the Germans the balance...
At 11-10 on ROAR, and having played this one myself, I do not think a balance is necessary at all. Our playing came down to 4 (IIRC) CCs/Melees in the final CCPh! Very fun and very well balanced, IMO. A real homerun from the Bunker.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played DB130 as the Russians, and failed miserably to counter the Tigers. The one with the 9-2 Armor leader managed to interdict the street crossing the village, and I never managed to take a real hold west of it (it didn't help that, on the turn I tried to send several units, with and without DC/MOL, to try and kill some Tigers, the three of them together got something like 8 or 9 MA shots - without Intensive Fire). OTOH, the German has some very depressing first turns until his reinforcements enter - the forward defenders tend to have a very hard time surviving.

Still, a scenario I enjoyed very much. A bit large for comfortable FtF play (I played it PBEM, and it did take some time to complete but there's plenty of action to keep the excitement going).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I felt by the last turn, I had a comfortable win, we did have one melee and baring 12 on my part, the last building was pretty much mine and if he did withdraw, the surrounding building were already occupied, so no last second miracle building grab. What I did do as the Russian player to achieve a win was kept my armor back and human waved across the map (did use my mortar to smoke in his up front guys). Rich's upfront stug did live a charmed life as I through mol's at it, CC'ed it, fired my T-34's at it and it still managed to scoot away and forced me to divert some infantry to take it out. I also rarely stopped the OT-34's for fear of them failing a mech breakdown, only when I reached board 1A did I stop them and flamed his guys. I took out two tigers with my flame tanks by game end. Also by game end I had 1 Flame tank left, one melfed his FT, the other got blown up by a 50L Gun Rich had cleverly hidden on my flank. Anyway, I if I was to play the Germans, I think I would want the balance. Nonetheless a great scenario from DftB that did not have copious amounts of SSR text that usually a hallmark of their designs.

Scott
At 11-10 on ROAR, and having played this one myself, I do not think a balance is necessary at all. Our playing came down to 4 (IIRC) CCs/Melees in the final CCPh! Very fun and very well balanced, IMO. A real homerun from the Bunker.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the Stops ASL WO 13 My Soviets launched a passable attack with the Shermans doing most of the heavy lifting. The harassing fire OBA was actually quite deadly, taking out 2 4-4-7 SS squads. (The best result I've ever gotten from harassing fire.) I exited 14 VP, all infantry. I think the SS should defend in the village, this would render the OBA less powerful.

Good little scenario

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played FT208 To Have And To Hold from the LFT deluxe pack. Deep snow in early 1942 Russia. I suffered a humiliating loss as the russians! My mixed force of airborne troops and partisans sans any heavy support weapons was barely able to approach let alone seize the 6 building hexes on the north edge of the map area. The German's 4 (!!) fortified buildings among the 14 which the Russians were required to control made matters difficult for my forces.

Without providing all the gory details, suffice it to say that not only was this my most thorough thrashing by an opponent in all my years of ASL, I nearly ran out of DM counters, and the only casualties which I inflicted were 1 German squad and SMC in CC, and 2 Half squads by DC and point blank fire. Although the results of our playing closely matched the historical result, I would be curious to hear how anyone could possibly win this scenario as the Russians.

I must give credit where it's due to my opponent, who planned an impregnable defense with mutually supporting fields of fire. Looking back on this one, I never really had a chance unless by some miracle all of the German MG's malfed or if I was playing a beginning ASL 'er.

Historical result notwithstanding, in my opinion, the 4 fortified buildings for the Germans placed this scenario on the top of my personal list of all time howling dogs I've ever played.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Alan
true that. the only really effective weapons vs a fortified stone building ground level are full-tracked AFVs, capable of creating "insta-breaches" when entering, if they can be spared to do so. Infantry alone are gonna take a LOT of time to clear a fort stone building.