So what scenarios have you played Recently?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is clear from the 5-4-8 counters.
Agreed; it is in keeping with the Q&A I quoted earlier.

The way the SSR is worded, I do not think it says that - i.e., errata would (IMO) be needed.

My interpretation would be that they are Replaced by non-SS 4-4-7 which after that would Battle-Harden/be-Replaced-further as normal non-SS 4-4-7 2nd Line units.
I also agree that errata would be required to make the SSR match Brian Martuzas' intent.

As the SS stands, SS 5-4-8s are Replaced by Second Line 4-4-7s. What would these 4-4-7s become if they were to Battle Harden, Fanatic? A 4-6-7 doesn't seem appropriate.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is clear from the 5-4-8 counters.

The way the SSR is worded, I do not think it says that - i.e., errata would (IMO) be needed.

My interpretation would be that they are Replaced by non-SS 4-4-7 which after that would Battle-Harden/be-Replaced-further as normal non-SS 4-4-7 2nd Line units.
That would also be my preliminary interpretation of normal replacement.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agreed; it is in keeping with the Q&A I quoted earlier.

I also agree that errata would be required to make the SSR match Brian Martuzas' intent.

As the SS stands, SS 5-4-8s are Replaced by Second Line 4-4-7s. What would these 4-4-7s become if they were to Battle Harden, Fanatic? A 4-6-7 doesn't seem appropriate.
Sounds crazy,to my mind a 5-4-8 that is SS even without an SSR surely when it ELR's to a 4-4-7 is automatically an SS 4-4-7, just because there is no little sigrune on the counter, they are still SS, just SS that are a little shaken up and suffered a few losses maybe.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds crazy,to my mind a 5-4-8 that is SS even without an SSR surely when it ELR's to a 4-4-7 is automatically an SS 4-4-7, just because there is no little sigrune on the counter, they are still SS, just SS that are a little shaken up and suffered a few losses maybe.
I don't think the issue in question here is if the should be SS as much as can they be without an SSR so stating. In as much as SS 447s do not appear in an "standard (non-CG)" format, scenario designers should note the differences along with replacement routine and not assume that everyone possesses the CG counters or is playing via VASL. It's a fairly common occurrence (especially with early TPP offerings) to have this information missing in SSRs, but less likely so with the officially (MMP) released projects. However, we're all human and it's an easy mistake to make or overlook, especially if one is a veteran and has almost all ASL offerings. Were I to play it, I would most likely assume they were SS 447s as well.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
They might be SS unit-wise, but it might not be certain that they would still have the ASL SS "traits".

Also, the SSR says: "subject to Replacement (A19.13) normally."

"Normally" means among other things: "...When replacing a MMC, the unit’s Class must also decrease..." - since both SS 5-4-8 and SS 4-4-7 would be Elite, such Replacement would not be "normally".

The designer also stated the intent was that an SS 4-4-7 would not go down to a SS 4-3-6, but instead split into two HS, but I don't see how that can be discerned from the SSR text, as there is no mention of an underscored ML anywhere.

If this is a big issue, then I do think an errata for this scenario is required.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They might be SS unit-wise, but it might not be certain that they would still have the ASL SS "traits".

Also, the SSR says: "subject to Replacement (A19.13) normally."

"Normally" means among other things: "...When replacing a MMC, the unit’s Class must also decrease..." - since both SS 5-4-8 and SS 4-4-7 would be Elite, such Replacement would not be "normally".

The designer also stated the intent was that an SS 4-4-7 would not go down to a SS 4-3-6, but instead split into two HS, but I don't see how that can be discerned from the SSR text, as there is no mention of an underscored ML anywhere.

If this is a big issue, then I do think an errata for this scenario is required.
It would appear so, as from your observations Klas, it is not overly clear, but I would play it as 5-4-8 to 4-4-7 to 4-3-6 SS, but then that is just me.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It would appear so, as from your observations Klas, it is not overly clear, but I would play it as 5-4-8 to 4-4-7 to 4-3-6 SS, but then that is just me.
I think that would work just as well...so if we ever play this, that's how we'll play it. :)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think that would work just as well...so if we ever play this, that's how we'll play it. :)
Me too.

But only if either Perry can supply some "official" 4-3-6/2-3-6 with SS runes on them. ;)

As for colour, I'll let the Perrys suss that out.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I'm not on ROAR yet...

We started the Verdict at Nuremberg mini-campaign today, with J143 Circle of Doom. I play as the German defender, and the American keep driving his tanks and armored cars in front of my 8-8s, so that I can shoot them. I chose the Panther from the Force Pool, and that one too has its first kill.
19 CVP so far, and I only need 40 to deny my opponent victory.
As predicted, I won this one, and rather soon into the scenario. We continued to play a little while for the Campaign Game Bonus Victory Points, but my careful counterattacks proved successful, luck was on my side, and my defensive positions held, so my opponent finally conceded. I think I didn't lose a single squad...

That's 5/15 Campaign Game Victory Points for me, and it looks like the German defenders of Nuremberg might hold on a little longer this time.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a good one to learn your US AFV's in. Used right, the Americans really have a good shot. Used wrong, and you can get a good deal on scrap.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a good one to learn your US AFV's in. Used right, the Americans really have a good shot. Used wrong, and you can get a good deal on scrap.
I'm getting a pretty good education with Singling at the moment. I'm playing Jon in SG2 as the Americans, and I've got the Gerry's against Perry in the CG. Total immersion ASL. :) My head's going to be spinning for a little while, I think.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Recently, my first "comeback to ASLSK" game was with S7 : Prelude to Festung Brest
The US player (me) won on the very last turn but it wasn't that easy.
However, we did forgot that only LMGs are move-and-fire (re-reading the rules afterwards, I saw that point - yeah, very basic stuff, I know but it's as-new to me). So I should have lost that game (I *did* move and fire my MGs). I'll apologize to my opponent at next game and we'll be watchful on that point.

Still, it felt like a tense compact scenario, with lots of action. We enjoyed it a LOT ! Like... A LOT !
Enough to decide to play much, much more. :)

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Recently, my first "comeback to ASLSK" game was with S7 : Prelude to Festung Brest
The US player (me) won on the very last turn but it wasn't that easy.
However, we did forgot that only LMGs are move-and-fire (re-reading the rules afterwards, I saw that point - yeah, very basic stuff, I know but it's as-new to me). So I should have lost that game (I *did* move and fire my MGs). I'll apologize to my opponent at next game and we'll be watchful on that point.

Still, it felt like a tense compact scenario, with lots of action. We enjoyed it a LOT ! Like... A LOT !
Enough to decide to play much, much more. :)
That last sentence means you both won mate so don't sweat the rule mistakes. We all do it and mostly learn from it

Ian

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon and I just finished up SG2 Fitzgerald's Fire. It ended the way any good ASL game should end...on the last roll of the last turn.

View attachment 54342

This one was a lot of fun and very educational. Thanks for another good one, Jon!!

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon and I just finished up SG2 Fitzgerald's Charge. It ended the way any good ASL game should end...on the last roll of the last turn.

View attachment 54342

This one was a lot of fun and very educational. Thanks for another good one, Jon!!
Jeff had a a good run - we began with both German AFVs out of action, the 76L Sherman burning from a previous faust hit, and the M4A3 with a malf'd MA. Th germans held 1 of three buildings , and had a 2:1 advantage in SMCs and squad equivalents at this time, with still 10 more fausts and a Psk to keep the easy eight and M4A3 rolling MG pillbox at bay.

In two turns of moving, juking, and shooting, the M4A3 got its Ma back, and a smoke round off so the amis could man the final buildings under cover - before it blew its MA again, the Easy eight smoked the now German MMG nest in the steeple. Final turn and it was Germans with 1squad; four HS of vaarious caliber, a 9-1 and a 8-0 vs a Ami hero, a broken ami 6-6-7 under DM, a Ami7-0 and 2 ami HS. The Ami tanks tried to stop the final rush, as did the remaining GO ami troops, but the HS blitz was on.

APh saw the 1 hex building fall across from the steeple, and the hero had died in a Turn 4b CC DR there was a melee there now, unimportant, it was not a VC building, but it held a Ami 347 / 7-0 in melee.

I had a 8-0 a 2-3-8 and a 9-1 vs the last remaining good order 3-4-7 in the CCPh. In goes the 9-1 and 2-3-8 looking for a -1 ambush drm and a -1 CCPh 1:! DRM to try to get the hex, while the 8-0 remained out in good order to ensure we held possession of the last building still, even if everyone died in CC.

no ambush, I rolled a 9 for my CC, he rolled a 10; melee ensues, therefore he still controls the one remaining location in the last VC building.

Jeff had a blast watching how fast the game became bloody in the final push, and watching it hinge on the last DRs of the game.

You can't have better ASL than a wind down the photo finish in CCPh - I needed the 42 % chance of the 6 DR to win- and hoped it might go up to 50% if I got ambush. He just needed to live through the CCPh.

This makes a great training scenario for beginning tanks - if no one has ever considered it, I do not know why. Highly recommend it as such.

KRL, Jon H

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We continued our first Campaign Date of Riley's Road. My opponent managed to roll consistently lower than five, I'm down to three tanks (not counting about half a dozen immobilized ones with no LOS to the enemy), lost another one of my flamethrowers to an unlikely hit (very small, in motion, there's smoke, and rain, but the German 8,8cm hits), I'm getting beaten up in CC, and the German guns never lose ROF. Oh, and it STILL rains, and the Germans just landed a spotting round in the middle of my already weak attacking force on the right flank.

Es bleibt spannend!
We continued this game on Tuesday, and this time came the karmic payback! My opponent malf'ed two of his MGs and destroyed both while trying to repair them, the artillery strayed just enough to hit the Germans, too, and I finally conquered the milk factory.
I lost another tank and a crucial CC near the Schwanenhof, and I fear I might have overdone it with the burning of my troops, but at least, I had a sense of achievement this time.

We are on turn five, and if I get seven (or even eight) turns, I might still snatch another few victory buildings.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Last 3 scenarios played with rating from 1 to 10:

ASL 27 "The Liberation Of Tulle" (solo).....5 1/2 out of 10.....standard old-school Infantry fun, Germans definitely need a balance of some sort. Great 'opportunity' to relearn the merits/hazards of Opportunity Fire.

HG-6 "Damned At Demyansk" (lost as SS).....8 out of 10.....decent balance that may favor the Russians ever-so-slightly. A chrome-lover's dream though; Deep Snow, Extreme Winter, Sledges, Air Support, Roadblock Removal, Sappers, and torturous terrain.

DB 130 "Tigers and Flames" (won as Germans).....8, maybe 8 1/2 out of 10.....seemed tough for Pat's Russians early on, but by endgame there were 5(!) separate CC/Melees to decide it. He came up short with only 11 of 12 needed 1a buildings. If he had won either of the final two CCs, both 1:1, he would have been victorious. Both ended in Melee.