So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This week I conceded defeat as the Americans in Circle of Doom, from the Verdict at Nuremberg linked campaign.

We are currently playtesting an early war scenario for Dispatches From The Bunker's upcoming issue and having a great time doing so. I highly recommend that you get your subscriptions in now...you're going to enjoy this one.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played the Japanese defender in J166 MAXIMUM AGGRESSION against Bruno L'Archeveque. Bruno came close to winning with the Brits. On the last British turn, he had taken 3 buildings and was fighting for two others in CC. Fortunately for me, he lost the two CCs.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We continued our first Campaign Date of Riley's Road. My opponent managed to roll consistently lower than five, I'm down to three tanks (not counting about half a dozen immobilized ones with no LOS to the enemy), lost another one of my flamethrowers to an unlikely hit (very small, in motion, there's smoke, and rain, but the German 8,8cm hits), I'm getting beaten up in CC, and the German guns never lose ROF. Oh, and it STILL rains, and the Germans just landed a spotting round in the middle of my already weak attacking force on the right flank.

Es bleibt spannend!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kingston of the Hill ASL AP120 With the North Korean Balance. This is a gut check for the NKPA player. You are gonna lose most of your OB. But it doesn't matter. The NKPA went for the east end of the hill- the only decent, less cliff covered part of that side of board 25. I neglected to outpost any American forces, but I think that actually helped. Granted, an American player could get more OBA down, sooner, but those outposts are gonna get wiped out. And you need every GI to fight the good fight once the bad guys are on the hill. The NKPA made it to one of the victory hexes, (level 3+ of a certain range of coordianates), but got shot down by the US reinforcements. Close, it came down to the last NK turn. US Victory

BRING ON KWASL!!!!!!

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Thunder from Heaven [DB093] today and now it must be History Channel's Airborne Month. We got through turn three with myself as the Allies. I landed very scattered and most squads deployed involunatarily into half squads. Light casualties at first. British had a glider shot out from under them and one Glider crashed. Casualties are now much heavier but the game is very much up in the air (pun) against Dave Stephens. We will finish this next week as the air landings took some time. Stay tuned for further updates.
Our game ended with my Americans on the losing end. German reinforcements and MG's with firelanes really stopped my progress. I noted that I only had one of four MMG's recovered and I lost a British one also. Other than my fickle mortars I had no long range fire capability.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Finished two scenarios recently. Lost in the Para League to the talented Michael Augustine in FE36 Wings of War. My Dutch rolled well but key units broken at the wrong moment and the Germans were able to win on the last turn. Fun, light scenario. Both sides need to take a lot of chancy sides. I'd play either side again.

On Wednesday I finished STL RaM1 Trouble at Mile Post 27. Despite the terribleness of my attack I managed to pull off a British win. Full AAR is here.

Last edited:

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is where we are after 4 turns into ASL57 The Battle for Rome. As you can see, the Germans have a schwerpunkt going down the Italian left flank. I don't want to give too much away as my opponent reads these forums (and he's playing the Germans). Casualties thus far for me are 2.5 squads (including a partisan), the Semevente L40 (sacrificed to save the Bassato), and an AB-41. I've lost one the MMGs to ammunition shortage, an ATR that whiffed two deliberate immobilization attempts on a pointblank STtuG, and the mortar. The Germans have lost a StuG but no squads. My sniper immobilized one of the AT toting trucks however. The Germans are moving cautiously and en masse with 6.5 turns to go. I have a bunch of hip stuff still including all my guns and the roadblocks and my trucks (I was fortunate and got my reinforcements on turn 2) are helping to move out of position units across map and into the fight. I need to use my remaining partisans to plug holes in the front lines. I dropped my first partisan in the Germans backfield thinking he'd be a thorn in their arse but he didn't slow them down at all and boxed an MC leaving the remaining 1/2 squad disrupted.

View attachment 54181

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
On Sunday I finished a VASL playing of BRT6 A Legend is Born as the USMC player. We played with the Marines getting the full balance provisions, including those recommended in the BRT Player's Guide. What a great frickin scenario! I have played most or all the BRT scenarios that came with the HASL, some a couple of times, and also played CG3 Utmost Savagery (as the Japanese). BRT6 shined in comparison to me. The game action really captured the scene as described by Robert Sherrod in his book Tarawa: The Story of a Battle. In the end the Japanese reoccupied a previously cleared bunker to win the game but it was a white-knuckled fist fight for 10 turns. Highly recommended if you have any interest in the subject.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
just about to start American T2 of ASL19 'Backs to the Sea', Against Jeff, Turn1 my DFPh saw a large FG kill one of Jeff's 6-6-7 and a H/S, pure luck, Jeff has cuased me worries already as he is falling back towards what I think is his 'Alamo' location and making me move fast and exposed, I have 1 4-4-7 DM'd and am now looking to open up one of his flanks, so far a real good game, and am enjoying 100%, Cheers Jeff.

All the best

Perry

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you playing with the Yanks 2 updates?
Klas, are you talking about the J11 errata? If so then yes, we are. That is to say, that's how I set it up. I saw it listed on the Scenario archive page, so I factored that in. Perry, check the notes page on VASL (or just look below). :p

Best Regards,
Jeff

EDIT:

Balance:
GERMAN: Increase German ELR to 3.
AMERICAN: Delete one 4-4-7 squad from the German OB.

Errata (J11) is in effect:

Replace Ihe 9-1 with a 9-2 in the American OB. Delete two 4-4-7s, two MMGs,
one LMG, and one 5cm leGrW 36 MTR from the German OB. Change the American
Balance to "Delete one 4-4-7 squad from the German OB.

Last edited:

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
just about to start American T2 of ASL19 'Backs to the Sea', Against Jeff, Turn1 my DFPh saw a large FG kill one of Jeff's 6-6-7 and a H/S, pure luck, Jeff has cuased me worries already as he is falling back towards what I think is his 'Alamo' location and making me move fast and exposed, I have 1 4-4-7 DM'd and am now looking to open up one of his flanks, so far a real good game, and am enjoying 100%, Cheers Jeff.

All the best

Perry
Yeaaaah...Perry put a good ol' fashion butt whoopin' on my good guys. Carnage everywhere; little cardboard body parts splattered all over the woods. :cry: And yet, my boys remain upbeat that this next evolution will bring a rapid demise to their outclassed, if not necessarily outgunned foes. And I still have some of that dreaded "Yankee ingenuity" up my sleeve. He He He!!
Having a blast playing with Perry. And Jon has me playing him as the attacker in ASL 13 Le Manoir, which is an absolute blast. That's usually followed by about an hour discussion period on WWII history. :OHNO: :laugh: All in all, I'm getting a pretty well rounded education, thus far.

Cheers to ya both!! :toast:
Jeff

EDIT: Here's where we ended up...

View attachment 54205

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We are in the middle of J49 Desperate Dash. I just killed a StuG with an ATR. I will lose the game nonetheless, but that alone was worth it. :laugh:
Actually, I just managed to win this one. I achieved a breakthrough in the blind spot in the south, and since destroying the StuG reduced my VP requirement by 3, I even had a little safety margin.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
ASL 120 "Return To Sender".....My fifth scenario played from AoO and possibly my favorite yet. My Bulgarians smashed into the SW/center of the map with only my 5-3-7 laden halftracks sweeping wide into the NW. The three 88L AA Guns in the hills counted coup on my tanks, flaming three of them. My bombers knocked one out with MG fire, double breaking the crew. Pat put one in AA mode which I privately scoffed at, never having seen Heavy AA be successful.....until a snake-eyes sent one flaming to the ground! My OBA then began to sing and knocked the other two 88 crews out of commission from which they never recovered.

I didn't bring my infantry-packed trucks on until Turn 3, losing two of them although each had a surviving squad. The rest thought it wise to unload their passengers in various covered avenues of approach on board 18. With the 88s unmanned, I was able to risk circumventing the roadblocks and truckin' over some Level 1 hills. My OBA proved my best asset, drawing three consecutive black cards after drawing an initial red one. No easy feat with an Axis Minor Drawpile! Aside from the two 88s, it did not cause casualties so much as it kept everyone with their heads down and out of sight.

His troops on the northern 3-hex Level 3 hill were being pressured by the 5-3-7s that unloaded north of it and a surging green mass in the center. Thank God that Rain never activated because I didn't start my assault on the hills until Turn 6, but had Controlled most of the L3/L4 hexes by the end of my Turn 8. By the end of my Turn 9 I Controlled them all, but he had three squads working their way towards the base woods to try and wrench at least one of those hexes back. One was vaporized by a long-range CH from one of my surviving tanks and the other two suddenly faced a wall of about 10 squads, several with MGs.

This is when Pat conceded midway through his 9b Mph (10b). He knew my endgame tactics well enough to know any brokies I incurred would not be routed to the maximum for future Rallying; not with one more SS MPh left! They would just rout one hex back into the woods and block his avenues of approach. We felt the two keys to Bulgarian success (ROAR has them as a nominal underdog with only limited playings recorded) were that either the Air Support or the OBA had to be successful against the SS, in particular the 88s, AND praying it doesn't rain! I wouldn't have felt overly comfortable approaching the hill mass at a faster pace than I was, knowing rain would slow down my ascent. The added MF to ascent however may have been counteracted by extra LV Hindrance protection upon approach. Regardless, it is a FUN scenario that we both enjoyed, and another that I feel is closer than what ROAR indicates.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASL 120 "Return To Sender".....My fifth scenario played from AoO and possibly my favorite yet. My Bulgarians smashed into the SW/center of the map with only my 5-3-7 laden halftracks sweeping wide into the NW... We felt the two keys to Bulgarian success (ROAR has them as a nominal underdog with only limited playings recorded) were that either the Air Support or the OBA had to be successful against the SS, in particular the 88s, AND praying it doesn't rain! I wouldn't have felt overly comfortable approaching the hill mass at a faster pace than I was, knowing rain would slow down my ascent. The added MF to ascent however may have been counteracted by extra LV Hindrance protection upon approach. Regardless, it is a FUN scenario that we both enjoyed, and another that I feel is closer than what ROAR indicates.
How did you treat the 5-4-8s that underwent Replacement, as SS 4-4-7, or not? Not certain what "subject to Replacement (A19.13) normally" [emphasis added] means in the context of this scenario.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Set up and just started T1 of the Singling Mini CG, (love this little Gem, have played it about 5 times now).

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Did you post to ROAR?
I'm not on ROAR yet...

We started the Verdict at Nuremberg mini-campaign today, with J143 Circle of Doom. I play as the German defender, and the American keep driving his tanks and armored cars in front of my 8-8s, so that I can shoot them. I chose the Panther from the Force Pool, and that one too has its first kill.
19 CVP so far, and I only need 40 to deny my opponent victory.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not on ROAR yet...

We started the Verdict at Nuremberg mini-campaign today, with J143 Circle of Doom. I play as the German defender, and the American keep driving his tanks and armored cars in front of my 8-8s, so that I can shoot them. I chose the Panther from the Force Pool, and that one too has its first kill.
19 CVP so far, and I only need 40 to deny my opponent victory.
Wu, getting on ROAR is extremely easy. It not only helps designers track the balance on their scenarios, but keeps track of what you have played and with whom.