So what scenarios have you played Recently?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a VASL league scenario with Ed Beekmen, J163 Stopped Cold. My Russians exited one T26-M31 (5 points) and 19 points of infantry to defeat Ed's Finns.

The Finns put up a spirited defense, burning one AFV with a Mol, burning the OT-26 FT tank with a well placed DC and destroying a third in bypass CC.

One Russian BT5 immobilized on startup, another silly Russian tank went it alone and failed three radio-less TCs. The OT-26 broke the HMG crew in the pillbox on turn one, the relief 648 and later 10-0 broke after disrupting/breaking four squads with HMG fire.

Luckily, for my Russians, the three 648s on his left flank failed MCs, two with boxcars; allowing my stubby legged conscripts to run through the upper woods and eventually exit in mass.

We had a good time playing ASL163.You should give it a try.

Rich

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had another training game session with my buddy Jim tonight. Jim started with SL/ASL and played into the 90s but then gave it up. I'm working on helping him get back up to speed so we played ASL14 Silence that Gun. Much to Jim's misfortune, I diced the hell out of him as the German. His paratroopers we're falling to my 2nd liners and conscripts (who never cowered btw). This plus rate tears from my MGs and Jim's rusty play made for a brutal game. Still, Jim is a great sport. He doesn't want tactical advice during the game. He told me he prefers to get his #*&$ kicked in the dirt and then debriefed afterwards which is what we did. We had a lot of fun nevertheless. We can't play without cracking jokes and busting each other up. it's a good time. Jim is big into Flames of War and Team Yankee, WWIII right now.

Last night, my buddy Rob and I got a couple of turns into DB113 Fontenay by Day before we had to call it for the night. We had dinner and chatted for a while before we got playing so we got started late. We recorded the game to finish later. My creeping barrage timing was off and we had 3 pre-game turns. The barrage was accurate each adjustment but only managed to break one SS squad and reveal the 75L AT gun which I've been able to avoid thus far. My plan was to use the barrage as cover to get on top of the SS quick but it lifted before the game started. I did convert it successfully and have had a productive fire mission with it thus far. I foolishly lost a Sherman to a faust shot that casualty reduced the squad from the backblast buy my smoke placement and the help of the Turn 1 LV hindrance helped me move up just as fast as I would of behind the barrage. I should have 5 VPs of buildings by the end of my next turn. My 9-2 lead HMG started trading shots with the SS 10-2 HMG hex. The 10-2 rolled snakes on an MC and became heroic. Shortly there after he rolled a cliché 11 on an MC an then a 5 on the wound severity. The SS HMG MMC went down from the +3 LLMC. Brutal. Anyways, my Brits have the marginal upper hand at this point. Being down a Sherman is going to make it tough to deal with that Panther coming in Turn 4. Very fun scenario thus far.
My partner Rob and I finished DB113 tonight. Wild game. It came down to my last turn but unfortunately my Scots fell short by 2 VP. The German OBA was brutally accurate and effective falling twice on my heavily concentrated right flank breaking up my HMG and MMG squads for the majority of the game. I lost my 9-2 and two Sherman on that flank too. The only thing that kept me alive on that flank was my FT which changed hands a couple of time and kept the Germans busted up shooting long range. It, and the leader/squads that possessed it, uncannily survived multiple FFE attacks and other fire hurled their way. With the exception of smoke placement, my AFVs were not effective at all and were all taken out by the end of the game. However, my converted OBA did very well and my FBs at the end gave me a chance by annihilating the German HMG/MMG Death Star hindering my final turn movements. It didn't help that Rob managed to pass three +4MCs with his SS in fortified locations which just stymied my attack even more. Neither of us did well with our DCs. Rob's passed his TC but his set DC whiffed completely and I lost a leader trying to place one. Very fun scenario with a lot of toys and compact, concentrated action.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
FrF 76 Pain in the Neck is a fun scenario. I went to Sven's undisclosed location deep in the hinterlands to play this exciting scenario vs a fun opponent. We diced for sides and I got the ss. The scenario has the ss enter unopposed with the objective of exiting six squads off the opposite end of the two half board playing area. The Russians enter a small blocking force on their turn one then they receive heavy reinforcements turn two but the come in behind the ss. This is a cray scenario as the ss desperately try to break through the Russian blocking force while running from the Russian main force closing in fast behind them. The ss ran headlong for the exit edge. I think Steve may have waited a turn too long to cover the exit area but he managed to get a few guys there to make the ss exit a bloody struggle. It went down to the end and the casualties were high but at the every end the ss got just enough off for a nail bitting win. I always enjoy the FrF stuff and this one did not disappoint. This was a fun scenario and I would play it again as either side.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Thunder from Heaven [DB093] today and now it must be History Channel's Airborne Month. We got through turn three with myself as the Allies. I landed very scattered and most squads deployed involunatarily into half squads. Light casualties at first. British had a glider shot out from under them and one Glider crashed. Casualties are now much heavier but the game is very much up in the air (pun) against Dave Stephens. We will finish this next week as the air landings took some time. Stay tuned for further updates.

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thunder from Heaven [DB093] today and now it must be History Channel's Airborne Month. We got through turn three with myself as the Allies. I landed very scattered and most squads deployed involunatarily into half squads. Light casualties at first. British had a glider shot out from under them and one Glider crashed. Casualties are now much heavier but the game is very much up in the air (pun) against Dave Stephens. We will finish this next week as the air landings took some time. Stay tuned for further updates.
Played this several years ago with Tom Yetter and we had a blast. At one point, Tom had a 6 or 7 hex firegroup (advancing fire) and announced a -1 drm. I looked, and Tom had a neg 1 leader in each of those hexes. Of course, he hand NO leaders on the other side of the map. I have never seen such a large firegroup benefit from leader modifier.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished "Defiance on Hill 30" as the US player. My MMG got a key kill on turn 1: nailed the 9-1 leader. My opponent never really recovered from it, although it did come down to the wire.
Reinforcement platoon arrived on turn 6. Got there literally in the nick of time.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played:

Head in the Noose vs. Paul Works. Good scenario. Tourney sized with some interesting pre-game choices.
Mook Point vs. David Hailey. Also interesting, and prompted some good post-game discussion about American choices.
The Zebra Mission vs. Jesse Boomer. Pershing, Nashorn, Wirblewind and more.
Traverse Right...Fire! vs. Rick Reinesch. Like Puma Prowls, but with weaker vehicles.
Hart Attack (J167) vs. Matt Evans.
Requiem for a Dreadnought vs. Brian Roundill. This one will give you headaches, in a good way. Both of us agonized over our choices.
Rack 'em Up vs. Sam Tyson. All-armor in variable visibility.
Start Fall Gelb vs. Jim Bishop. Decent tourney action but I expect most players would probably play it the same way.
The Puma Prowls vs. Jim Bishop. A classic for a reason, although it's beer-and-pretzels time.
The Elefant of Surprise vs. Greg Schmittgens. Solid tourney fare.
No Glory in War vs. Will Willow. Interesting little action in 1941 Russia. Thanks Bishop for recommending this one.
The Last VC in Europe vs. Sam Tyson. An okay choice if you want something short.
Vlasov's Fist vs. Matt Evans. Late war Russians vs. Germans over 3 boards.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played MM13 Texel Lighthouse from the March Madness scenario pack. It is about the revolt on a dutch island in April 45 of an Ost Battalion. Georgians slaugthered at night their erstwhile German comrades in arms and waited for Canadians. Instead germans, which were understandly not happy, found the ressources to land 2000 troops and StuGs on the island and wrest back control of it. The scenario depicts the last stand of the Georgians around the Lighthouse. Having playing it on site, we found that the maps used were a fair approximation of the historical battlefield. I tried a wide flanking move hoping that the OBA would soften the enemy defenses in the meantime. But i drew three or four consecutive red chits. Therefore the attack was stopped at the wire perimeter and could not make further progress. Conceded on turn 5.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Texas,

Tramvanaya Street
Getting Your Bell Rung
Niederburg Farmhouse (twice!)
Landstorm over Arnhem
Test of Nerves
Bidermann's escape. (my favorite of the weekend)
Playing Uno

An account of my 16th Texas ASL tournament experience located at my blog

http://wargamingwichita.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading
Roy

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played MM13 Texel Lighthouse The scenario depicts the last stand of the Georgians around the Lighthouse. Having playing it on site, we found that the maps used were a fair approximation of the historical battlefield.
If I understand correctly, you have been on that island? I guess the Germans were voted off (American TV). Personally I would rather visit Hawaii but not on 12/7/41.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Texel is the biggest island off the north coast of the Holland. It might not be tropical like Hawaii...but it has over 2000 fortifications ruins to explore. Google texel fortifications and see the cool things to visit.

Glad to hear George could play on site and the terrain approximated the real location. Much of this site washed into the North Sea during storms since WWII.

I think it would be cool to visit the island.

Dano

If I understand correctly, you have been on that island? I guess the Germans were voted off (American TV). Personally I would rather visit Hawaii but not on 12/7/41.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
George, Do you post your results on ROAR? If yes could you please post this game. This scenario does not get many posts.

Sorry about the lack of OBA. Hope you can try Texel Airport next...and the terrain also is a good match.

Danno

Played MM13 Texel Lighthouse from the March Madness scenario pack. It is about the revolt on a dutch island in April 45 of an Ost Battalion. Georgians slaugthered at night their erstwhile German comrades in arms and waited for Canadians. Instead germans, which were understandly not happy, found the ressources to land 2000 troops and StuGs on the island and wrest back control of it. The scenario depicts the last stand of the Georgians around the Lighthouse. Having playing it on site, we found that the maps used were a fair approximation of the historical battlefield. I tried a wide flanking move hoping that the OBA would soften the enemy defenses in the meantime. But i drew three or four consecutive red chits. Therefore the attack was stopped at the wire perimeter and could not make further progress. Conceded on turn 5.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ass Backwards YASL #8 Archers. Had to play it based on that alone. The Germans made it as far as the edge of the Milk Factory buildings, but not actually into them. The Archers had my Panthers in a crossfire, and without them, the German infantry didn't make much progress against the Canadians. Canadian victory.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's a three hour drive from Belgium (including a short ferry trip to the island). That makes it a little shorter than a Hawaii trip. :)

Texel is the biggest island off the north coast of the Holland. It might not be tropical like Hawaii...but it has over 2000 fortifications ruins to explore. Google texel fortifications and see the cool things to visit.

I think it would be cool to visit the island.

Dano
The weather was gorgeous, but we were probably lucky. It's not a bad place to stay for a weekend, good cycling opportu ities. And the island has its own brewery. Thanks for the link to fortifications

Scenario outcome was, i think, recorded on ROAR by my opponent.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario outcome was, i think, recorded on ROAR by my opponent.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Directive Number Three ASL AP7 Old but fun. I sent the Ruskis along the east side, where the grain is more dense. The Germans were set up for a fight and fall back, into a series of side shots, defense. The T-34s and BTs prevailed, punching through. I did not take the T-35s out of motion until the end. Bring you Blaze markers for this one. Old, but good.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
It's a three hour drive from Belgium (including a short ferry trip to the island). That makes it a little shorter than a Hawaii trip. :)

The weather was gorgeous, but we were probably lucky. It's not a bad place to stay for a weekend, good cycling opportu ities. And the island has its own brewery. Thanks for the link to fortifications

Scenario outcome was, i think, recorded on ROAR by my opponent.
In what is typical these days for coincidences I watched last night the Dutch film, "Admiral" (De Ruyter), which, of course, mentioned Texel twice given the Dutch fleet was harbored there per the film. It is an excellent movie.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In what is typical these days for coincidences I watched last night the Dutch film, "Admiral" (De Ruyter), which, of course, mentioned Texel twice given the Dutch fleet was harbored there per the film. It is an excellent movie.
It is also the place where a small group of French cavalry captured the Dutch fleet (14 vessels, 850 guns). The see was frozen. :bite:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We are in the middle of J49 Desperate Dash. I just killed a StuG with an ATR. I will lose the game nonetheless, but that alone was worth it. :laugh: