So what scenarios have you played Recently?

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry

Just finishing off CG1 with my opponent and still in the balance. I'm playing the Germans. It's a fantastic CG and rich in flavour. So good in fact that i bought a copy of Jason Marks 'Besieged'. If you do buy it you will not be disappointed. German set up is the key - make sure you read the 'Alarmheiten' rules!

The sad fact is that Scherer hung on for so long against the odds and survived only to be killed in a road accident after the war!

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry

Just finishing off CG1 with my opponent and still in the balance. I'm playing the Germans. It's a fantastic CG and rich in flavour. So good in fact that i bought a copy of Jason Marks 'Besieged'. If you do buy it you will not be disappointed. German set up is the key - make sure you read the 'Alarmheiten' rules!

The sad fact is that Scherer hung on for so long against the odds and survived only to be killed in a road accident after the war!
Am reading the rules tonight so I have it all tied down. Jason's books are simply awesome, I have Island of Fire, Death of the leaping horseman and Angrief. very good books.
Besieged will be a Xmas prezzy to myself I think (the Long haired general needs to be kept out of the loop on this one)

Am very impressed with the module, Xavier & the LFT team have done a really good job. so am looking forward to playing this little badger. Reclamation was a good scenario, so if it rums like that, will be more than happy.

Cheers

And have a happy Xmas

Perry

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The scenarios that I played at the New York State ASL Championship:

FB02 The Devil’s Free To Have A Try; My Axis defenders succumbed to Steve Pleva's attack after four turns of seven.

FrF028 Luftlandekommando Hedderich; Dan Plachta's French managed to break all my Germans near the objective. They needed to hold out for one more turn.

PBP22 Morire In Belleza; Kedge Johnson diced himself mercilessly. His Italian attackers rarely passed a morale check.

J023 Kampfgruppe at Karachev; my slightly handicapped Russians (no AL) managed to win on exit points during turn 5 against John Merritt.

SP002 Holding The Hotton Bridge; I defended with the Americans versus Bob Tufano. He lost the SPW Smoke machine on the first turn to an MC 12 result. When the panthers crossed the bridge, a 37 ATG got a lucky side shot kill on one. Later, when exiting VBM, another panther was lost to a BAZ side shot. After the reinforcing M4A1(76)W took out a third panther from the rear, Bob conceded. No German infantry had crossed the bridge.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
ASL 77- "Le Herisson".....just finished this a little while ago. Excellent scenario, worth its classic status. My Germans had a nice fluid attack, benefiting from 5 different SMOKE placements from the sIG IBs, and a couple of HE hits. Both of our dice ran hot and cold, so no complaints there. Scott's Frenchmen withstood the 'swinging gate' attack and forced me into a final CC for the win. It ended in a Melee, with me having only 10 of the 11 needed buildings; his 4-3-7 earning top honors for that defiant finish and other mayhem it caused earlier. A very close nail-biter from about Turn 4 onwards. A classic evening of ASL! :smoke:

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
My experience with the scenario coincides with yours.
In my case, the Soviets really had bad luck at the beginning, which allowed my Germans to close in much faster than one could have expected.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Morgan's Stand (G30)

View attachment 48207

This seems to be a classic also previously published as ASLUG#14 which ROAR has very balanced. So why not play it?

I had the attacking Germans. Their objective is roughly to push the US out of the village and/or secure the bridge exit hex. The Germans enter in four distinct groups, one per turn, the order of which is random. You might get a lot of infantry first but no AFV, or two AFVs with only token infantry support. As the Germans enter from offboard, the US will be concealed at start and thus makes them difficult to get out of the buildings in the beginning. Due to the odds, CC against the US squads is no good idea either. Beginning on turn 2, the US rolls for reinforcements that arrive if a dr is less or equal to the turn number. To become effective, the US reinforcements need to cross a wooden bridge (the particulars of which one should look up) to be of effective help. That said, the scenario will have a good replay value because the order of the entry of the German forces and the time of entry of the US reinforcements will vary.

There is not that much you can plan as the Germans at start because you will need to see what you get. I got the "Brummbär" and PzIV plus 2 squads first - the group I wanted least at start, because you will need the infantry to guard the tanks from being rushed by BAZ or US AFV. At the same time, all US units are still concealed, so attacking them with tanks is more difficult. So the German entered to find a position which was not much threatened and could hopefully reinforced by more infantry. The US immediately moved to seal off this group, which would make it hard to redeploy the two most powerful German AFVs.

For the first couple of turns just NOTHING would work. I just could not harm the US units, which in turn inhibited my movement and cost me valuable time. I had Group 4 followed by Group 1 in the north. Group 3 entered after that from the west but was quickly broken almost entirely. With two tanks bottled up and significant reinforcements broken, it took long to build up momentum. I had to move offensively with some "volunteers" to force the US to lose concealment - of course at some cost.

US reinforcements entered on turn 4. At this point, I was in no position to interdict their successful crossing of the bridge in any way. Something had to happen, so I moved the "Brummbär" into the sights of the US tank destroyer hoping to survive its fire and to retaliate in AFPh. This worked out, and at long last, the Germans were able to move and put some pressure on the US, which had, by this time killed the German halftrack. By means of a sneaky LOS and moving into a somewhat position next to an 8-1 led US squad behind a wall, which had survived about half a dozen attempts to break it, I was able to take out the Sherman in German turn 4 - he never knew what hit him...

During turn 4 and 5, the Germans at long last could move and put pressure on the US. In turn 5, I moved my "Brummbär" into a menacing position putting tough decisions on the US, ready to wreak havoc as a bounding firer and afterwards to freeze some Americans that would then be hapless against German infantry pulling up adjacent with dangerous fire. Good plan! Went up in smoke, when his darned BAZ rolled a critical hit vs. my "Brummbär". When I thought I had the four-hex building secured at last, the broken US HS in there battle hardened and created a leader. When I finally broke a squad in my back and forced it to surrender, the US Sniper broke the German guard.

It was hairraising: Whenever I thought a problem settled, the improbable put me on the tip of my toes again. It did not help, that I misread the VC thinking that the US (and not the German) would win if he had control of the bridge exit hex. This "forced" me to a reckless move of my StuG and PzIV. Both died, because the freaking US M8 found special ammo and had ROF...

During German turn 7 I had finally managed to push all GO MMC American units off board 10. I deployed my infantry in a way, that would force the surviving 9-1+666 supported by the M8 to move and risk dangerous Defensive First Fire from multiple locations AND require a successful infantry OVR to have a chance to make it back onto board 10.

In the MPh of the final US turn 7 the freaking M8 had ROF again and by means of overcoming the odds of IF, turning turret, hindrance, and TEM hit and then broke a German Squad+LMG each in two separate locations on a DR of 4 & 5 for effects. I STILL had a HS and a vehicular crew to put some fire on the moving 9-1+666 Americans. Managed to cause a PTC, which both passed thus having theoretically enough MF to reach board 10. Afterwards, they passed the TC for the infantry OVR.

What shall I say, it was not to be - US win. I felt like I was fighting improbability constantly forcing me to sacrifice units and to take otherwise unneccessary risks. Small wonder that I came so close after initial setbacks. Ups and downs with tons of fun!

A recommendable scenario that I would play again.

von Marwitz

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Inhumaine ASL J28 Clear out the palace on board 6, against 8ML troops that are fanatic in the building. I attacked the north end of the building, and ran the Shermans around to link up with the infantry. I found the PaK 40 the hard way, but the TK roll was an 11 and the Sherman survived. After that the crew was broken then eliminated. The HS that took over maning the gun could not get a hit. Even once inside the buildinng, its not easy to keeping peeling Krauts out of all the fortified hexes, and I lost a Croc and Sherman in the last turn rush to take the last few locations. Good scenario.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
BotH #1- "The Hardest Day".....Very fun little tourney-size scenario from LC. Scott's Germans mauled the entry of my crappy 6ML US troops, and it admittedly felt pretty grim a couple of turns in. Yet, the US rallied back and began a flanking maneuver that gained a few building hexes (VC) and sussed out German Dummies from real units. My lone M4A1 entered on turn 4a (of 5 1/2), and none too soon.

It helped me completely turn his flank and get in the backfield. I only had 3 of the needed 6 building hexes going into my last MPh, but managed to pick up the next 3 in my APh. Two Melees in other building hexes no longer needed to be resolved, but we did anyway; resulting in 8 of 9 building hexes falling into US Control at game end. It appeared pretty balanced, and I'd take either side. As can be expected, these smaller scenarios can end up being 'dicey', but fortunately the 'diciness' factor seemed to even out for both of us. Minus all the bull-shooting, about 3 hours of play time; perfect for a short evening's play.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up FrF72 The Mubo Decision as the attacking Aussies against the defending and counter-attacking Japanese. An excellent scneario that forces some challenging decision making for both sides.

We ended after 2.5 turns as the Aussie's dice were hot in the first 1.5 turns eliminating about five Japanese squads, an 8-0, the AA gun and crew. The Aussies lost about maybe a squad in return. The Aussie group in the knob hill by the village carefully assaulted the huts with the other two setup groups focusing about half of their respective forces on developing blocking positions for the two platoons of strong Japanese reinforcements.

The Japanese position broke wide open when a 9-0/448/228/MMG foxholed in 47CC7 was fired upon by a 648/LMG/9-1. The 8+1 was a 1,1 for a K2. RS hit the leader and 448. The remaining 238 boxed his roll and the 228 striped. A 458 and recently minted hero took out the 128 in CC clearing the last resistance in Hutsville. At this point it seemed extremely unlikely the depleted Japanese could recover the village.

A tight, fast paced scenario that becomes a swirling frenzy of punch and counter-punch. The best scenarios are like this one where both sides play attack and defense.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played AP100 Coal in their Stockings, a scenario from the new AP10. This Bulge scenario takes place on four half boards, including maps 69 and 70. It depicts the attack of Americans supported by no less than 9 vehicles (an attractive mix of light tanks, HT and AC). But the Germans are well supported by a jagdpanzer and two Pumas AC. VCs are about stone building control mostly, but the possibility for Germans to also score VPs by exiting through the American entry edge adds spice to the design. With fast vehicles on both sides, the action is pretty fluid and intense. A great design again from Pete Shelling.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played AP100 Coal in their Stockings, a scenario from the new AP10. This Bulge scenario takes place on four half boards, including maps 69 and 70. It depicts the attack of Americans supported by no less than 9 vehicles (an attractive mix of light tanks, HT and AC). But the Germans are well supported by a jagdpanzer and two Pumas AC. VCs are about stone building control mostly, but the possibility for Germans to also score VPs by exiting through the American entry edge adds spice to the design. With fast vehicles on both sides, the action is pretty fluid and intense. A great design again from Pete Shelling.
I liked this one as well. Good mix of units, lots of options.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished SP236 Hammer Time. Early war Germans attacking Belgian infantry with French tanks coming to the rescue. Belgians are doing a slow fighting withdrawal with German tanks trying to get behind them. STRONG French tanks appear to stem the tide. My Germans managed a win in the last Cc. Can't beat that.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FrF70 (An Estonian Interlude) played this one against Aaron Cleavin and surprisingly for a small scenario, it is very balanced and fun. Basically the Axis Minor are conducting a fighting withdraw vs the "Russians" in 1941. Are game came down to the last turn with a couple of CC's but my poor Axis Minors just could not get low enough CC rolles to eject the "Russians" from the VC building.

Also played A10 The Boarders are Burning vs Azslim last week and once more had alot of fun trying to foul up the Russian Drive along the Raate Road. Yes this is the 14 turn one but the Russians will need every one of those turns to traverse the deep snow and overcome Finnish resistance. This one also came down to the last turn with the Russians squeaking by with the needed VP's to win.

Scott

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thai Hot AP83 Nice little landing scenario. I wish there were more like these. The IJA took horrible losses on the beach. After that, they could push to where ever they wanted, but they were too outnumbered by the swelling Thai mob that flanked them on 2 sides... It seems crucial to get to the J19 L16 wall if you land away from the buildings. Thai Win.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Castello Fatato ASL G38 If the Italians did not have to do the human wave on turn one, that would be a walkover for them. I set up my Soviets to give fire from the Cathredral and buildings on either side, with a hipster behind the Cathredral. The Bersaglieri got close with the wave, and were very shot up. But they still had the numbers. The ATGs did not hit much, but when they did they were CHs. This whittled the Ruskis down. The Italians were inside the church by turn 5, and after two suicidal counterattacks, I could not throw them out again.

Gotta play this on a custtom VASL board, steppe and snow...

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Played Hammer Time SP236 recently with Aaron and boy did I hate this scenario. We played it twice and both times I lost, either as the Belgians and Germans. Perhaps I hated it because of the very scripted nature of this scenario, the Belgians fall back and do the turtle defense with their arriving armor to protect them from the thinly armored Germans. This was also an excruciatingly boring scenario to play but it being boring and scripted is perfect for tourney play probably.

Scott

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Getting ready to play OST 11 STIFFEST RESISTANCE By Lone Canuck Publications, looks like it will be a good fight, loads of T34 M43 and Panthers with support from Tigers, Oh and SU 85 & Su 122, mmmmh, what's not to like. Will try to get an AAR done along with mine and Ian's KGS CGI when we start and more map projects.

Merry Xmas all

Cheers

Perry