So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played KILLER KLOSOSWKI from the recent Dispatches.

The SS have to be much more careful than Larry Zoet was. Oh, and rolling on command snakes for TK numbers doesn't hurt the Russian cause....and then getting 4 or more ROF shots with a 45L was the straw that broke Larrys back....

The 9-2arm leader and his PzIII died that way......

Mark DV
Ada, MI

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Operation 'NIWI' from Lone Canuck and found it a very entertaining infantry-only scenario. It was perfect for a weeknight game at the local club's game night. And as with all good scenarios, it came down to the last roll of the dice in the final CCPh. My Germans prevailing in the end.

My opponent and I were surprised at the ROAR stats, (now) 19-10 in favor of the Belgians. Going in and at the completion of the game we both felt it favored the Germans...oh well, still a noob and plenty to learn.

Robert Z
St. Louis, MO

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I Don't Like Retreating ASL WO4 The whole ditch thing was not much of a complication. The German attack tried to come over the top, along the board edge, and then to the village. I delayed a little, but sent most of the Cromwells and Airborne back to the village. A Panther and a HMG 251 bogged, then immo'ed. The JgPz lost a duel with 2 Cromwells, and the remaining Panther played hide and seek with the Brits. The German infantry never made much progress against the Paratroopers. US win, probably due to the lack of German armor to help the attack in.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Diversion ASL J135More Suicide Creek. This one would make a good intro scenario for the whole thing. Just infantry and swampy jungle. My Marines got thrown back on the first go. But the second attack made it across, and once there, were unstoppable in CC. The double-level pillboxes and tunnels bought the IJA time, but not enough. US win, great jungle fight like all the SC games I have played.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played O10 City on the Edge with Peter Struijf. Peter had the Yanks while I had the Germans complete with King Tiger. Peter played a very skillful fallback defence and at one point it looked like things were near impossible for the German, but with some lucky breaks I still had a chance on the last turn to clear the VC area, which I did, including successfully crashing the Kingtiger into a wooden building, throwing a track, overrunning a 6-6-6 and then meleeing it. Unfortunately I could not do it in enough strength to prevent the Americans from getting back into two hexes of the VC area and pulling out the win (aided by me not covering a potential attack axis for Peter's last Sherman with 'fausts, and the immob'd Tiger being stuck in melee). Fun scenario but I think it is tricky for the Germans without very high level play - one mistake (such as a MPh partially wasted trying for infantry smoke when I could have used vehicle smoke or sN) and the German is quickly behind the eight-ball. Needs very aggressive German play from the outset to keep the pressure on the Yanks, and to deal with the annoying "Death Star" of orchards and hedges on the new map.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Jean-Pierre Raymond and I had our first FtF game since several years. We played regularly from 1990, but I took a break to focus on the VASL League and other opportunities to play other people. We will both attend the NY State ASL Championship soon, and JP was rusty on PTO, so we played FrF72 Mubo Decision. I had the Australians. JP chose to set up close to the the Australians for maximum deterrence, but I think it backfired on him because my Australians were able to move adjacent and stay concealed. I was able to smoke the AA gun on the first turn and eliminate the crew in CC. I eliminated a squad in CC as well and had another in melee and I had taken the one hut that he had left undefended. He chose to bring the Japanese reinforcements on the south side, because I had a stronger force defending the north entrance. On my turn 2, he had a Japanese stack containing 9-1, 2x448, 2xLMG, crew, MMG opposite a 50mm light MTR that I had positioned to interdict the reinforcements. I took a shot instead of skulking and scored a CH. Then, I rolled another snake-eyes on the effects; 2KIA. Japanese stack is now 2x348, 2xLMG and unpossessed MMG. JP threw in the towel at that point. The losses, combined with his incorrect setup (he had setup using HIP, which was NA by SSR; he simply put the HIP on board, rather than re-do his setup), led to the early concession.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dr.Dave and I playtested a scenario on Saturday.(http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?119219-Asl-Live-now%A1)/page11)
It was fun, interesting, frustrating, exhilarating and inconclusive; 10 hours of cardboard warfare.:(
Dave had three turns left and we called it, as much from mental exhaustion, as from uncertainty whether
Dave's "Izod wearing(with appropriate hammer and sickle sigil instead of an alligator) gentrifying communist ne'er do wells"
had time to evict my "fascist squatters" from their ramshackle tenements in the remaining time allotted.
BIG scenarios are a rough hang for one session. Even without copious amounts of beer.
:laugh:

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
AP62 Shouting Into The Storm

View attachment 47756

Grim late war 1945 action. For once, the Germans are on the offensive on a local counterattack AND they have the equipment and troops for some fearsome punch. On the other side, it is elite Russians holed up in a village, whose task it is to keep the Germans out. The Germans need to control two crossroads and two buildings. Somewhat special is, that the Germans have to cross that ONE bridge across a fridgid stream or pass through the stream which is very unpleasant for infantry. To boot, the Russians cannot set up much to defend up front. So the Germans will eventually force the bridge, and they better do so quickly. Later on they need the time to root the Russians out of stone buildings. The scenario has variable OoBs where both sides may opt to select one of two choices for two sets of forces each. This one's got King Tigers, IS-2m's, FT, DC, .50Cal, 9-2 leaders for both sides, a German 9-2 AL, Assault Engineers, AT mines - you name it. Plenty of toys for both sides. To boot, as of end of Oct. 2014, ROAR has this extremely balanced with 50 German to 49 Russian wins coupled with an Excitement Rating of 7.5 out of 10 which is very good. For various reasons, my game was spread out over considerable time via VASL, so I do not remember all details. All in all, I was favored by the dice for sure.

I agressively pushed forward to close in with the Russians. Despite their high quality of troops and equimpent, they don't have enough to cover, that is hold, everything, so it is likely that the game will develop into a slug-out about one of the two victory buildings. The Russians were trying to delay me in the south and building a castle in the north. After securing the south, the Germans had to hurry north to be able to help in time to attack the "castle" with overwhelming odds.

One highlight of our playing worthy to make it into ASL folklore forever is the following:
A CX German 238 moved and captured an unpossessed Russain 57LL ATG. They turned it around during the APh with the intent to aquire a hex where the Russian menace (9-2, 458+.50Cal concealed) was lurking in the "castle" to cover the street I had to cross. I forgot that there would be no AQ at all if firing ITT until after I rolled. This actually was a Basic TH of 8 +17 (!!!) shot - a feat to pull off in itself:

- Fire during APh (+2)
- Captured (+2)
- Unqualified Use (+2)
- CX (+1)
- Stone Building (+3)
- Concealed Target (+2)
- CA change for 3 hexspines (+5)
======================
- TOTAL = +17

My Fallschirmjäger aimed with a vengeance, though, and rolled Snakes followed by a subsequent dr of 1 for an improbable Critical Hit. 14FP -3! Random Selection hits... the enemy 9-2!! The result is a 3MC which the Leader shrugs off as does his .50Cal toting squad both unpinned... I got the Acquisition, though.
Wasn't that the plan in the first place? :nuts:

It came down to the last German half turn with several 36FP+ shots directed by 9-2 leaders from both sides at Point Blank range within the last victory building that only did not result in immediate annihilation for both sides because of the presence of SMOKE. In the end, though, all Russians broke and were eliminated for FtR giving the Germans Control of the Building and the win. In fact, in this scenario I managed to destroy the entire Russian OoB. Can't remember when I last (if ever) pulled this off. Although my opponent disagrees, I think that things could still have gone awry for the Germans late in the game if my kill stack would have been broken by his 36FP+4 shot. Whatever.

For sure, I can recommend this scenario for play despite it being probably a bit more fun for the Germans. Toys, excitement, balance. What is there not to like?

von Marwitz

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep, there is a lot going on in AP62. I had the Reds in a play test of this at ASLOk shortly before the release of Action Pack 6. I got steamrolled by Andy Hershey due to some poor decisions on my part. Had I not goofed a couple times, I am sure that the scenario would have come down to the wire. IMO, it is one of the top three scenarios in the pack. Don't kid yourself, the Russian 9-2/4-5-8/HMG combo can be a lot of fun. (I got greedy, and fired the HMG without leader direction, rolled snakes, vapourized a HS, and then watched as an entire German platoon paraded by my position.)

Oh, I think that the scenario plays a bit closer if you use the IFT. ;)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played A68 Acts of Defiance as the defending Ruskies against Dave Reenstra's Germans. It came down to the final DRs. I was fortunate in that neither Goliath blew a bridge one rolled high and the other destroyed by an SU122. With that turn of good luck I pushed my reinforcements across the bridge and some 1-2 FL slowed that party down. Dave played an excellent game and I had a couple boneheaded mistakes and he made me pay. I pressed on despite a wavering PMC and made it very close in the end. A pinned 8-1 and 628 took away a shot at a big odds CC. His Brumbar took care of the rest with a nasty hit on the same stack. A great game by Dave, as usual. I always appreciate his level of play and good sportsmanship.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
FT190- "The Land Of Fire" from LFT13. Just finished this one less than an hour ago against Jamey Cribbs (Cardboard via Skype). The Axis (primarily Romanians) have to Control 2 of 3 VC locales at game end; the State Farm building compound, the Lighthouse, and/or Lvl2 hill hexes. I love the visual and bordering effect of the LFT1 beach map, and I've always liked the small, strung-out hills of map 18.

The German OBO-OBA module SMOKEd in the State Farm compound and took virtual Control within the first three turns. I anticipated this being lost first, so I had concentrated my Red defenses on the other two locales, and on keeping his 'State Farm Crew' from assisting in helping with the others. My red-hot '4' SAN almost single-handedly broke up his southern assault towards the Lighthouse, but he slowly coalesced a small assault force aimed towrd the Lvl2 hills. This 'Hill Force' was comprised of a NW flanking element with StuGIII support. I was never able to take out any of his 3 StuGIII, whether by CC, ATR, AT, INF, or my lone reinforcing Stuart.

In the S/SW Jamey shepherded his surviving troops toward the State Farm to cement his grip on this VC locale, and more or less abandoned his attack towards the Lighthouse. Well-played, he only committed to this after making solid inroads on the Lvl2 hill mass. Fortunately his OBO-OBA dried up after a couple of FFE hill-poundings, but he was already establishing himself up there by then. A 7-0 and 4-4-7 hoofed it to the hills and held up 3 squads in CC for a turn until getting whacked. Turn 7a (of 7b) found me with only one broken HS remaining in the Pillbox up on the hill, and PB fire from a StuGIII double-broke him to give the Romanians full Lvl2 hex Control.

We called it at the end of the Turn 7a PFPh when we calculated there were no Russians able to reach/reinforce any of the VC locales (even if CX), and practically zero FP able to support such a non-existent venture. A well-played game by Mr. Cribbs, and a fun and well-designed scenario! :smoke:

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played FrF28 LUFTEKOMMANDO HEDDERICH as the Germans against Luc Dallaire. It was our first ever match together, and we played face-to-face at my place. We both are preparing for the Albany tournament. Luc has had ASL stuff for a long time, but he has not had a lot of experience playing. I had only a partial knowledge of this; after playing the match, I could see that he did not have enough vehicle rules knowledge to use them well. Like many beginners, he played on the conservative side, so the French troops had not progressed far into the board when the German truck born infantry arrived. I was able to drive them up to the edge the the village and unload them there. After five French turns, Luc conceded. A highlight for me was having my 9-2 and squad execute a defensive CC Reaction Fire Street Fighting attack against an AMD35 stopped adjacent to their location; 9 or less to have an effect. They were successful in destroying the AC.

Last edited:

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just started a FtF, TM/CG of Crossing the Moro last night. This is my first experience with any CG and I'm really looking forward to it...it should be a blast. Our plan is to meet one evening a week.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started the 2nd playtest of my Eastern Front jumbo-sized-urban-slug-fest last night. I'm not sure
it qualifies as a monster since neither side has 40+ squads.(Russians have 38 8ML squads)
We got off to a fun start despite some bad luck for the Russians.(2 malf'd MA's and an iSU-152 sent home
by a sniper)
The Germans are attempting to fall back to the main defensive positions with the Russian Horde(tm)
at their heels.
Lots of toys for both sides!
View from the North end;

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure.
Russian player must take 49F9, the overlay at 22W4, 22F5, and the(not seen) Bd.6 chateau.
All buildings on Bd.22 & 49 >=3 hexes are factories. Gully & stream are A-T ditches, but the bridges exist.
Russian 6-2-8 MMC are assault engineers. T-34/85s with bow mounted FTs roam the battlefield,
and the Russians also have BIG artillery pieces towed on for reducing strongpoints/making smoke.
ISU-152s on the prowl as well.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure.
Russian player must take 49F9, the overlay at 22W4, 22F5, and the(not seen) Bd.6 chateau.
All buildings on Bd.22 & 49 >=3 hexes are factories. Gully & stream are A-T ditches, but the bridges exist.
Russian 6-2-8 MMC are assault engineers. T-34/85s with bow mounted FTs roam the battlefield,
and the Russians also have BIG artillery pieces towed on for reducing strongpoints/making smoke.
ISU-152s on the prowl as well.
Might be easier to list the pieces you leave in the counter tray... :bite: