So what is being played here?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Guys,

After looking things over there seem to be various ACW game systems being played. I see that many "Gettysburg Campaigns" are currently being bought & played with other types going on.

Unlike say TOAW which everyone is playing "TOAW-A century of Warfare" what ACW strategic game /tactical game are most members playing here & supporting?

I'm asking directly because my B-day is here and I'm finally being asked what I want. :D

So, I'd like to get into playing something ACW but with only "one" purchase I want to get something that I can PBEM with here, that has more than "one" scenario, and has options (what if even).

My only past ACW game was "Age of Rifles." That was fun but the casualties were "strange" to say the least.

What say you? Any information will be appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would suggest HPS Gettysburg if you only had to make one purchase. It has an awful lot to offer. The game has a campaign system where each side makes a strategic or operational choice and the computer compares them and presents you with a scenario to play. You fight this battle and when the battle is over the computer looks at the results and then gives you more choices based upon those results. Casualties carry over from one battle to the next with some replenishment due to replacements and stragglers rejoining the unit. This goes on until one side has won the campaign or it ends in a draw. Of course you can play all the scenarios separately also. I think the game comes with over 300 scenarios and there are downloads that will increase this to over a 1000. If you have an interest in what is arguably the most campaign of the war then this is the game to get in my opinion. Go to the HPS site and check out there description or go to http://www.hist-sdc.com/getty/index.html and read the excellent description there.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WestPointer said:
In general, we plan to support HPS' Civil War Battles on WARS.
I'll check out the site but quickly what level of combat does the HPS go down to? Armies/Corps/Div/Reg?

Is there a full Civil War HPS game or are they a series of individual battle campaigns? (Can they be combined to form a larger Operational Campaign outcome?)

Since I enjoy playing Combat Missions (tactical) and the TOAW-American Civil War scenario (Strategic) I'm interested in both levels of combat. Hard to pick either but I'd like the one with the most options.

Edit-
I checked out the HPS pages, looks good. I can now see why they have a lot of "options!"

Question- what constitutes "victory" in these games? Taking terrain locations, inflicting a % of casualties, exiting the map by X time, etc (or all of them)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is going to be dependent on the scenario being played. All the ones I've seen have terrain objectives and some have exit hexes worth points for units exited. There are always points for causing casualties to the enemy.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Palantir said:
Unlike say TOAW which everyone is playing "TOAW-A century of Warfare" what ACW strategic game /tactical game are most members playing here & supporting?
The section is dedicated to the Civil War Battles series from HPS. That being said, people are having productive discussions on other games as well.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RangerBooBoo said:
Are you going to support the Talonsoft games also?
After clarification with other staff, we will support the Talonsoft CW games also.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like to get CG is online only.

Anyone else have two cents to throw in about what to buy or look seriously at?

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
First choice should be Gettysburg.
This game is on the "top" now and many players are playing it.

But I highly recommended Franklin, especially if you are interesting in Western Theatre of war.
Presonally it is my favorite game, maybe because I'm Pat Cleburne's fan. It contains many interesting scenarios and good campaign - the Tennessee 1864 campaign (from Columbia, TN to Nashville).

On the other hand Corinth is also good as it has a number of additional scenarios available on the net.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
:horse: :bounce: :joy:

Do you hear that?

That's the sound of the Armies of N. Virginia and the Potomac marching to my house even as you read this! :D

Soon they will arrive for a friendly :toast: and then it will be off to do battle :nofear: against the best and brightest here.

:hurray: Will you look at the enthusiasm of those Keystone State girls as we march across the border!

:salute:

(Longstreet WAS right!)