So now what?

Okimaw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been reading with great interest the Stick a fork in it - CM is done thread. It seems most of the regualrs here, myself included, are not happy with the evolution to CMSF/CMx2. So with everything being said, what can we realistically expect for the CM community in the way of any kind of development for a replacement that compares with our beloved CM? As for me, I'm hoping that someone like Matrix will buy out the CMx1 and take it from there. They did a great job of reviving The Operational Art of War and making substantial innovations to the game. If you check their forum on here and at Matrix it's a very active community and new players are joining all the time. Anyhow that's my 2 cents.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't completely given up on CMSF. It has moments when the genius shows through. But right now, there are enough og the opposite happen to make uninstall it. With that said Panzer Command by Matrix is a clone of CM on the surface. It has a lot of rough edges, but plays relatively well.

I think once BFC gets out of there panic/desperation mode of the crappy release, they may move off the "fight to the death for CMSF" business model and the final iterations of CM2 may be the big advance we were hoping for.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no way BFC would pass the source code over to Matrix after Matrix already got most of their "working" publisher business (except Tacops and SC). Unless of course they go bankrupt and somebody gets their assets (basically only the code for the two CM series) for cheap.

The best hope is that somebody actually does a CMx1 clone now that BFC left the field.

Panzer Command was a good shot but with too limited scope, IMHO.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There's no way BFC would pass the source code over to Matrix after Matrix already got most of their "working" publisher business (except Tacops and SC). Unless of course they go bankrupt and somebody gets their assets (basically only the code for the two CM series) for cheap.

The best hope is that somebody actually does a CMx1 clone now that BFC left the field.

Panzer Command was a good shot but with too limited scope, IMHO.
Has your opinion changed with the release of the Kharkov title?

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has your opinion changed with the release of the Kharkov title?
Yes, tremendously. And with all the proposed changes for the next game in the series I think it will be the game most CM gamers are looking for.

Good Hunting.

MR

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My main concern with PCK right now is I am not sure a lot of people are playing it. Take a look at the Matrix forums. Its all people modding it, not playing it. I have seen very few new scenarios. Almost no discussion about it outside Matrix. I played it quite a bit the first months it was released. I went through most of the scenarios. I find building new ones a little too much of a chore. I also still think its a little too unpolished and the the command system is a little too difficult to work with.

In the end, it has immense potential, but we may have to wait for one or two more releases to get a good CM replacement.

Taktik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about a sub-forum for PCK here? Generate some interest among CM'ers to get some games going? Or has that been tried / discussed already?

mangus2000

Reaction score
Country
ll
How about a sub-forum for PCK here? Generate some interest among CM'ers to get some games going? Or has that been tried / discussed already?
Quite agree Tactik. Been messing about with PCK a little bit and have put a request for my first PBEM on the Matrix site today. From looking at the Opponents Wanted page TheWood is right about not many people playing, anyone idea why that is?

So if anyone wants a game of PCK i'm up for it:cool:

McIvan

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I thought that Mad Russian was making some scenarios for it....he may drop in one of these days and let us know.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mad Russian is busier than a man with 3 heads right now. He sent me a mail and is doing something with PzK, something that may make CM defunct in the mid term.

mangus2000

Reaction score
Country
ll
Well i'm looking forward to that, there are still things wrong with the game but it's still worth playing.