Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

1st in TD passes - 442
1st in passing yards - 61,655
1st in completions - 5,377
1st in attempts - 8,758
1st in INTs - 288
1st in wins as starting QB - 160 (160-93 W-L record)
2nd in consecutive starts (1st for QBs) - 253 (275 inc playoffs)
1st in games with 3+ TD passes - 63
2nd in 4th Q/OT comeback wins - 40
1st (tie) for longest TD pass - 99 yds to Robert Brooks (9/11/95 vs CHI)
15th in QB rating - 85.7 (less than 1 pt behind Marino who is 12th)
Only 3 time AP MVP (1995-97)
9 time Pro Bowler
7 time All Pro

mfl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw the news confernce, he was great to watch. Gunslinger, who sometimes could carry it off. Sometimes, I would be saying why such a gamble when only down a few in the 3rd quarter......Loved it when he would share the competive spirit with the othersides D-line.

Psycho,
Where do you think he rates in the great Qb departments? And where would your rate Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady? Different and interesting players as well.

Mike

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's just say there is no reason Farve would not get into the Hall of Fame on the first vote. I think Manning and Brady are still too early in their careers to offer a good comparison.

I am glad to see him go out on a good year rather than going out after the last couple of years he had.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We've discussed it a bit in the Mila 18 thread in the ASL section. Here's my list off the top of my head. Might have missed someone but I think I got the best of the best:

As much as I love Favre, he doesn't crack my top 5 all time.

#1 Montana had loads of talent around him in SF but he just always seemed so cool and made the right decisions in the clutch. Led the team of the 80s to 4 SB championships.

#2 Starr for the same reasons. Played when men were men and didn't have all the substitutions and wussy calls to protect players' health. Led the team of the 60s to 5 championships in 7 years.

#3 Brady for the same reasons but he hasn't always had as much talent around him. 3 SB wins in 4 years during the era of parity. Might move above Montana once he's done.

#4 Unitas for being the guy that helped put the NFL on the map and helping get the passing game more involved over the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Two chamionships in '58 & '59 plus led the Colts to a win in SB V (started but knocked out of the game later).

#5 Bradshaw for leading the team of the 70s to 4 championships in 6 years. He played much better in the big games when it mattered. One of the last QBs to call his own plays.

#6 Elway for being one of the most clutch QBs ever but didn't win his two SBs until he got a great running game to help out.

#7 Otto Graham for leading a great Browns team to 10 straight championship games during his 10 year career. Won 7 of them (4 for 4 in the lesser AAFC and 3 for 6 in the NFL).

#8 Favre for all the records and clutch performances. Hurt by only one championship and too many poor decisions.

#9 Peyton Manning for a decade of excellence and one championship. Will probably move higher by the time he's done.

#10 Marino for the records. Hurt by never winning a championship.

Close but just missing the cut:

Sammy Baugh
Steve Young
Roger Staubach
Troy Aikman
Len Dawson
Ken Stabler
Sid Luckman

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to see him go, as it just won't be the same watching the Packers without him.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We've discussed it a bit in the Mila 18 thread in the ASL section. Here's my list off the top of my head. Might have missed someone but I think I got the best of the best:
Yeah, how many Brett Favre threads are you going to start?
:blab:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yeah, how many Brett Favre threads are you going to start?
:blab:
You think I should start one in the ASL section? You know some of the guys don't read the Mila 18 stuff and can't participate in the Favre talk. :D

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always wondered about how people pronounce his name--and noticed that someone in this thread even spelled it the way everyone pronounces it--the 'v' comes before the 'r'; I assume it's of French origin in which case it'd be "fav' r" [no real vowel to put after the 'r', just sorta roll it like a fake French accent.] Why's it always "far' vra" or "farv"?

I would also disagree about Peyton Manning being too early in his career (and how many seasons has Brady played anyway?)

Oh, and I've always felt there are two types of quarterbacks or two ways to judge them. For years Tarkenton held every passing record but never won the Super Bowl; same for Marino. There was always some difference for them and their teams between regular- and post-season. :OHNO: Then there are QBs like Bradshaw or Montana who win 4 championships in a half-dozen years but never have any records (except for 'Super Bowl victories as QB'; same for Aikman to a lesser degree.) Are the record holders merely in the wrong place and/or playing for the 2nd-best team of their era? Is leadership measured by SB wins? [I don't think it's only measured that way. . . ]

Favre will obviously be missed--and will obviously miss playing, too.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and I've always felt there are two types of quarterbacks or two ways to judge them. For years Tarkenton held every passing record but never won the Super Bowl; same for Marino. There was always some difference for them and their teams between regular- and post-season. :OHNO: Then there are QBs like Bradshaw or Montana who win 4 championships in a half-dozen years but never have any records (except for 'Super Bowl victories as QB'; same for Aikman to a lesser degree.) Are the record holders merely in the wrong place and/or playing for the 2nd-best team of their era? Is leadership measured by SB wins? [I don't think it's only measured that way. . . ]
I think it is the difference between being a team's primary offensive weapon (and thus running up big numbers) and being on a team with a balanced offense.