So I bought Campaign 1776

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am sure most of you have already played it but I thought you might like a total newbies first impression of the game.

Initial Impressions-Well when I first saw the cd case there in the PX I was pretty excited. The Artwork isnt too bad but the case was stuck in the back of the store with all the bargain bin stuff.

Installation-Everything went very smoothly till I got to the end. There were two errors but I haven't noticed any problems with the game thus far

First Game-So I booted the game up and checked out the manual. I saw there was a "Getting Started" section and clicked on that. It walked me through my first few turns without any confusion what so ever. Before I knew it I was kicking some british butt.

Overall-I have to be honest and say that I went into this telling myself that graphics didn't matter and the gameplay was where everything was at. But I was still a little disappointed when I first started playing. The more I played though the more I started to get into it. In all reality I just had to give the game a chance and it definitely started to grow on me.

I played through the first scenario in the game(the name slips me) But I really started to get a feel for the flow and ebb of things. I was chasing down some of the brits and they managed to cross a bridge. They kept 3 Regiments of troops there to delay my crossing. The funniest thing though, is that they only left one within firing range of my troops. So we swapped volleys for a couple of turns and then I decided to try to cross.

Well wouldn't you know that as soon as I started moving my troops over the bridge, The Brits starts tearing them up with some pretty concentrated fire.

I finally managed to get everyone across and in position and tore them up pretty good.

It was a pretty exhilirating time though.

2 Thumbs up great game! I will buy more.

Ben

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am eagerly antiscipating it. I like the PBEM since sometimes time is limited for me and it gives me somethin to look forward to at the end of the day.

Can anyone tell me if the Civil war series are similiar? I would have bought one of them but they didn't have anything other than Panzer Campaigns and 1776.

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Leftie said:
I am sure most of you have already played it but I thought you might like a total newbies first impression of the game.
Thanks, it is always good to hear what someone totaly new to the games think...I've been playing them for about 8 years now, so I've totaly forgotten my first impressions! :D

Initial Impressions-Well when I first saw the cd case there in the PX I was pretty excited. The Artwork isnt too bad but the case was stuck in the back of the store with all the bargain bin stuff.
Maybe you could give your feedback to the PX manager? Might entice them to carry a few more of the games...

Installation-Everything went very smoothly till I got to the end. There were two errors but I haven't noticed any problems with the game thus far
This is an Installer error caused by canges to the Windows operating system since the game came out. 1776, Smolensk & Normandy all do it, but it does not cause further issues.

First Game-So I booted the game up and checked out the manual. I saw there was a "Getting Started" section and clicked on that. It walked me through my first few turns without any confusion what so ever. Before I knew it I was kicking some british butt.

Overall-I have to be honest and say that I went into this telling myself that graphics didn't matter and the gameplay was where everything was at. But I was still a little disappointed when I first started playing. The more I played though the more I started to get into it. In all reality I just had to give the game a chance and it definitely started to grow on me.
Go up to the HPS site:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_EA/Patches_Early_American.html

And download the various patches. There's an updated game engine which gives you all the features that have been added over the years since the game came out, updated documentation to cover all that. Then there is also a "map" update which updates all the ground tiles, etc. to use the War of 1812 graphics, which are Much better IMHO.

I played through the first scenario in the game(the name slips me) But I really started to get a feel for the flow and ebb of things. I was chasing down some of the brits and they managed to cross a bridge. They kept 3 Regiments of troops there to delay my crossing. The funniest thing though, is that they only left one within firing range of my troops. So we swapped volleys for a couple of turns and then I decided to try to cross.

Well wouldn't you know that as soon as I started moving my troops over the bridge, The Brits starts tearing them up with some pretty concentrated fire.

I finally managed to get everyone across and in position and tore them up pretty good.

It was a pretty exhilirating time though.

2 Thumbs up great game! I will buy more.
Ben
I think it is Battle Road, which is fun, but requires a lot of movement to get into action. Try a scenario of Cowpens next.

Regards,

Rich

Last edited:

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Leftie said:
I am eagerly antiscipating it. I like the PBEM since sometimes time is limited for me and it gives me somethin to look forward to at the end of the day.
PBEM is the only way I play...I usually keep at least 10 games going at any given time from the various games. :)

Can anyone tell me if the Civil war series are similiar? I would have bought one of them but they didn't have anything other than Panzer Campaigns and 1776.
Yes, they are similar, though at a differnt scale (ground and unit size) - but if you like 1776 you will like them too, not to mention the other 2 games in the EAW series (War of 1812 & French & Indian War) and then the 4 Napoleonic titles.

Also, check out this article for Beginners on 1776, I think you will find it helpful:

http://www.hist-sdc.com/help/intro.html

Welcome to the section, hope you enjoy yourself...and please let us know if you have any more questions!

Regards,

Rich