So - how have the dice crushed you recently?

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Regardless look at what you have learned.

My suggestion is that you devote some intense study to the Human Wave rules and become an expert at them. I did that for Platoon Movement and found it very educational and interesting. I've advocated this approach in the past and believe it is the best way to increase your understanding and skills in an area that you feel weak on. Btw the you is meant as anyone, not specifically you you.😉
I agree that practice is both necessary and good. 😉

Maybe While Singin “We're riding along on the crest of a human wave,
and the sun is in the sky.
All of our eyes on the distant horizon,
Look out for passers by.”

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I agree that practice is both necessary and good. 😉

Maybe While Singin “We're riding along on the crest of a human wave,
and the sun is in the sky.
All of our eyes on the distant horizon,
Look out for passers by.”
Very nice. You might consider contributing to the Altering Songs for ASL thread. Dice Tower Records is always looking for new talent.🤗

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread Must have had me in mind… this is how Tuesday went.

Red Barricades CG, I’m the Germans.

High winds, so no smoke…

80mm Bn mortars, red card.

150mm pre-registered artillery, red card.

First prep fire shot breaks my FT.

scouts move forward to search, find nothing but both CR…

Then the shooting starts with 5 crits, including two by effing Molotov projectors and his 45LL goes on an 11 shot ROF party with 2 crits.

Not bad for a half turn, and the closest I’ve come to failing a personal morale check.

Cant wait to play some more. It can’t possibly get worse, right?
They said "Cheer up things could be worse". So I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Anyone can roll a Red Yahtzee, but can you get a Full Metal Jacket average?
I beat you on the DR average though you have a couple of rolls more. On the other hand my IFT and MC DRs were above 8, Rallies above 9 and CCs above 10. I was "good" at hitting with Guns but as the effects DRs sucked, that didn't matter.

Now here comes the riddle:
Did my Brits win this game of "Cold Crocodiles"? 🥴

von Marwitz

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
final dice roll of game three 6-6-6 US squads and -1 leader vs one 4-5-7 Vichy squad in CC for control of a building of course I roll a 10 and Vichy win....

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
final dice roll of game three 6-6-6 US squads and -1 leader vs one 4-5-7 Vichy squad in CC for control of a building of course I roll a 10 and Vichy win....
So you brought the game to a situation where you had a 5 in 6 change of winning. Not bad. Doesn't look like the dice hated you that much.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Worst one like that I have come across is Toby Pilling vs Mark Blackmore. Mark needed less than nine on a CC roll to win. He had three chances to do it.

Care to guess what happened?

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread Must have had me in mind… this is how Tuesday went.

Red Barricades CG, I’m the Germans.

High winds, so no smoke…

80mm Bn mortars, red card.

150mm pre-registered artillery, red card.

First prep fire shot breaks my FT.

scouts move forward to search, find nothing but both CR…

Then the shooting starts with 5 crits, including two by effing Molotov projectors and his 45LL goes on an 11 shot ROF party with 2 crits.

Not bad for a half turn, and the closest I’ve come to failing a personal morale check.

Cant wait to play some more. It can’t possibly get worse, right?
He did it again! Another 45LL, ROF for 16 shots, including 1 criti hit and 2 snipers (1, 2) when I passed a couple of the morale checks. It continued downhill after that, watching his flamethrower blast my HIPpies and finishing off the turn with a CC upset. 447 kills a 9-1 and 548 in hth, gets away clean on my boxcars. None of these in itself is so crazy, and CC is notoriously fickle but the string is starting to wear on my nerves.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
He did it again! Another 45LL, ROF for 16 shots, including 1 criti hit and 2 snipers (1, 2) when I passed a couple of the morale checks. It continued downhill after that, watching his flamethrower blast my HIPpies and finishing off the turn with a CC upset. 447 kills a 9-1 and 548 in hth, gets away clean on my boxcars. None of these in itself is so crazy, and CC is notoriously fickle but the string is starting to wear on my nerves.
The problem may be directly attributed to your previous statement:
It can’t possibly get worse, right?
Whenever I say "OK, might as well, what's the worst that could happen?", I always find out immediately.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Ah yes, if it could go wrong, it WILL in Stalingrad. Many of my worst and best ASL memories is from RB years ago, they did that one right for sure, not too much crome but plenty to keep you engaged, good luck with future playings.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once played "Kurhaus Clash" at Enfilade vs Rob Wolkey. I had the SS, but the Rally Phases were my undoing. 9 ML troops, but kept rolling 10 or 11.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah yes, if it could go wrong, it WILL in Stalingrad. Many of my worst and best ASL memories is from RB years ago, they did that one right for sure, not too much crome but plenty to keep you engaged, good luck with future playings.
It’s still the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 16 shots in one go isn’t quite 1 in a million, but it lives right down the street.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Not recent by any means, but the most memorable. I had to exit so many EVP by game end, and to achieve it on the final turn I had to drive my AFVs CE down a road to get the road rate off the map. When the first did so, an enemy HS fired at it, leaving '1' RFP in the road. The second took the same route and exited unscathed. The final one, for the win, entered the '1' RFP and the DR was 1,1.....NMC. I failed the NMC, game over. Even '1' RFP can be deadly.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I have to put a word in here for my good friend Ian Morris whom decided to advance the ambitions of his Russians in Festung Budapest by purchasing Air Support with the mod on the entry roll.

I'd predicted it and purchased a Heavy AA battery. And even though it makes no long-term sense whatsoever, I wanted to go for a bucket list event and try to bring an aircraft down using Heavy AA Fire.

So the planes appear...and my four guns (I had one pre-existing 80L Bofors) open up in my Prep Fire turn...

Second shot if memory serves correctly...2 1 (ie. Damaged and ROF)...

His Random Selection for the affected Budgie...

4 4 4

All recalled

So I decided to chase the 2vp/aircraft with a follow up shot...

1 1

Random Selection

4 4 2

And, with the follow up ROF shot...I downed the final one with a further 3 for a double damage elimination.

I'm sure Ian will retort with stories of Russian tossers Berserking their way through a 150mm artillery stonk....passing 4MCs en route...bastardskis