So - how have the dice crushed you recently?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Inspired by the thread "what scenarios have you played recently" a thread detailing the cruel treatment that we all suffer at the hands of the dice might be an idea?

Last night I was playing FrF88 Panzer Shield. I human wave (with the armored cars for added style points) what I know to be a German half squad (it was not concealed at start). I make it into the half squads hex with a 9-0 commissar and three squads. Opponent rolls a 7 at -2 final fire. 5 on a 2 = NMC. Whole stack fails with rolls of 10, 8 ,12, 8.

They all rout back to recover in a cornfield. Five turns later my commissar had still not rallied despite me putting the 7-0 officer in his hex (the only other Russian officer onboard). He did manage to rollboxcars to wound and did not have the decency to die so I still had to keep rolling for him.

His rolls were:

9 (4 or less required)
7 (had to roll 4- opponent DM'd him again)
9 (8 or less required)
10 (8 or less required)
10 (9 or less required)
12 (9 or less required, rolls 4 on wound severity)
9 (7 or less required)
7 (7 or less required) Back in the game wounded on turn 5 almost where he started on Turn 1.:rolleyes:

Turn 5 I drive two armoured cars up to take on a German tank and clear a path. They survive all fire at them and bounding fire. First TH roll - boxcars. Second TH roll - boxcars.

I resign - you can only take so much.................

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Inspired by the thread "what scenarios have you played recently" a thread detailing the cruel treatment that we all suffer at the hands of the dice might be an idea?

Last night I was playing FrF88 Panzer Shield. I human wave (with the armored cars for added style points) what I know to be a German half squad (it was not concealed at start). I make it into the half squads hex with a 9-0 commissar and three squads. Opponent rolls a 7 at -2 final fire. 5 on a 2 = NMC. Whole stack fails with rolls of 10, 8 ,12, 8.

They all rout back to recover in a cornfield. Five turns later my commissar had still not rallied despite me putting the 7-0 officer in his hex (the only other Russian officer onboard). He did manage to rollboxcars to wound and did not have the decency to die so I still had to keep rolling for him.

His rolls were:

9 (4 or less required)
9 (8 or less required)
10 (8 or less required)
10 (9 or less required)
9 (7 or less required)
7 (7 or less required) Back in the game wounded on turn 5 almost where he started on Turn 1.:rolleyes:

Turn 5 I drive two armoured cars up to take on a German tank and clear a path. They survive all fire at them and bounding fire. First TH roll - boxcars. Second TH roll - boxcars.

Jesus Christ Joe...keep away from me in November and please let me know what route you're taking so I can avoid it

:)

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll

His rolls were:

9 (4 or less required)
9 (8 or less required)
10 (8 or less required)
10 (9 or less required)
9 (7 or less required)

Wow tough that. But the 7-0 officer wouldn’t have helped as commissar must self rally 25.221 so the commissar was just teasing you. Better luck next time. 😬😉

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Dies crush me when I lose.
Would there be any other reason for me to lose ?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States

His rolls were:

9 (4 or less required)
9 (8 or less required)
10 (8 or less required)
10 (9 or less required)
9 (7 or less required)

Heh...war sucks!

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played a game of Dingoes at Damour on VASL as the ANZACs. We stopped keeping track after my 8th or 9th boxcars - I think I ended up with about a dozen total. My opponent rolled a lot of 3's, for which I got a couple of baby snipers, but by Turn 3, it was pretty obviously going to be an otherwise tough game for me to salvage. His forward pickets in foxholes in 35Q3 and 35Q5 really held me up (Q5 had a squad, MMG and 7-0 leader) since even though I had multiple 12+1 or 12+2 shots which failed to have an effect until turn 3 or so. My kill stack (9-1, 2 x squads, 2 x LMGs) completely broke on turn 5 on a 4 flat shot (1MC), then was eliminated for failure to rout, which pretty much put the game out of reach. We ran the dice stats and all his rolls were green. My TH and TK were red, and while my MC average was about 7 (green), with mostly 7 morale troops, the best you can get on a MC is a Pin result. If it's a 1MC, then you break. My IFT average was also somewhat high. I probably could have tried more smoke shots than I did, but one of the boxcars I got broke a mortar on the attempt. I probably also should have tried bypassing his Q5 stack by setting up to push along the 8, 9, and 10 hex rows ( his ART gun was in 35T10). I'm looking forward to trying the scenario again, anticipating a better spread of DRs.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Actually, the Commissar also has his ML level increased to 10, so a NMC DR of 10 is only a Pin result, which is ignored due to the Human Wave (and so the 447s actually had a ML of 9 - though this doesn't help when you roll a 12).

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Actually, the Commissar also has his ML level increased to 10, so a NMC DR of 10 is only a Pin result, which is ignored due to the Human Wave (and so the 447s actually had a ML of 9 - though this doesn't help when you roll a 12).
Phillipe - thank you. You might have noticed that I do not do human waves very often - generally too much carnage.

I thought with the HW he lost the leadership bonus - but of course a commissar is different. It just says "unbroken, unpinned" to add the +1 morale to units in the same location.

I've been done! Martin Vicca was a spectator to this game as well. :rolleyes:

Presumably it is the same for Japanese leaders? No leadership bonus with the Banzai but +1 for the commissar bonus - I think that I have been missing that one as well..............

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread Must have had me in mind… this is how Tuesday went.

Red Barricades CG, I’m the Germans.

High winds, so no smoke…

80mm Bn mortars, red card.

150mm pre-registered artillery, red card.

First prep fire shot breaks my FT.

scouts move forward to search, find nothing but both CR…

Then the shooting starts with 5 crits, including two by effing Molotov projectors and his 45LL goes on an 11 shot ROF party with 2 crits.

Not bad for a half turn, and the closest I’ve come to failing a personal morale check.

Cant wait to play some more. It can’t possibly get worse, right?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
This thread Must have had me in mind… this is how Tuesday went.

Red Barricades CG, I’m the Germans.

High winds, so no smoke…

80mm Bn mortars, red card.

150mm pre-registered artillery, red card.

First prep fire shot breaks my FT.

scouts move forward to search, find nothing but both CR…

Then the shooting starts with 5 crits, including two by effing Molotov projectors and his 45LL goes on an 11 shot ROF party with 2 crits.

Not bad for a half turn, and the closest I’ve come to failing a personal morale check.

Cant wait to play some more. It can’t possibly get worse, right?
God, those are nasty dice stories and I feel your pain, even using my precision dice they have a way of tormenting me at the wrong time, but such is ASL, the best players can overcome bad dice through their skill and experience, as the rest of us struggle to overcome a series of bad rolls and I have failed my personal MC a few times when the dice became utterly ridiculous. Ralph McDonald in the Bunker Crew used to have the title of worst dice rolls but Joe Gochinski has wrested that title away from him the past few years. I have my good and bad days but it seems to even out over the long run.

The dice are the dice, no matter which ones you are using, my big beef now a days is how the VASL bot dice seem to go into stretches of very high or very low DRs or dr, always at the wrong time for one side of the other.

So it goes in this hobby, gotta move on if they are not in your favor today, better luck tomorrow, Vic.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gotta move on if they are not in your favor today, better luck tomorrow, Vic.
Wise advice Vic. It is just that sometimes, maybe once every few years, the dice produce a game that is so extreme that it becomes funny.............

I'm having a good laugh over that Commissar 🤣 and the fact that he did not in fact break............

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Wise advice Vic. It is just that sometimes, maybe once every few years, the dice produce a game that is so extreme that it becomes funny.............

I'm having a good laugh over that Commissar 🤣 and the fact that he did not in fact break............
Regardless look at what you have learned.

My suggestion is that you devote some intense study to the Human Wave rules and become an expert at them. I did that for Platoon Movement and found it very educational and interesting. I've advocated this approach in the past and believe it is the best way to increase your understanding and skills in an area that you feel weak on. Btw the you is meant as anyone, not specifically you you.😉