So Anyone Got Any Good Deals from eBay Lately?

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Since I got back to ASL two years ago, I've managed to get all the core modules and all the HASLs except for ABtF and BR:T. I haven't paid ridiculous prices for any of it (see why I don't have those two HASLs?), but haven't really bought any of it from eBay. Mostly from BGG and the marketplace here, maybe a few items from Facebook group too.

Not saying it's impossible to get a good deal from eBay, but I'd say it's much more likely to get it from somewhere else.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Best deal I had lateley was a mint condition copy of L2 Design Groups Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition and Korsun Pocket again mint and unpunched from Peoples war games group, both as we all know are 'Grail' games and hard to get at a good price, I payed £70/80 fore each one, to me that is a good deal, but yes, they are out there but are getting harder to find, and snipping is becoming more and more common I have found.

As Veron says, BGG is a far better way to go, I am as we speak finalizing a deal for a copy of Downtown By GMT games, and at a decent price (under £100) and in mint condition.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Best deal I had lateley was a mint condition copy of L2 Design Groups Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition and Korsun Pocket again mint and unpunched from Peoples war games group, both as we all know are 'Grail' games and hard to get at a good price, I payed £70/80 fore each one, to me that is a good deal, but yes, they are out there but are getting harder to find, and snipping is becoming more and more common I have found.

As Veron says, BGG is a far better way to go, I am as we speak finalizing a deal for a copy of Downtown By GMT games, and at a decent price (under £100) and in mint condition.
I still have both of those but my Streets of Stalingrad is a first edition and they were both bought new. I've gotten some good deals since I came back to the hobby in November without spending an arm and a leg. It is a matter of patience and discipline. Heck, I was able to buy a new copy of Hakka Paaile for 60 bucks and my copy of West of Alamein $93 (USD). I think the key is not to get caught in a pissing contest with the other bidders. In November I had my original three core modules Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, and Yanks. Now I have everything but Croix de Guerre and Armies of Oblivion.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
In November I had my original three core modules Beyond Valor, Paratrooper, and Yanks. Now I have everything but Croix de Guerre and Armies of Oblivion.
Bob, I am not saying you are just another 'collector', I don't know you or your gaming habits. However, I have noticed how many of your posts focus on nothing but acquisition of the ASL system. Hey, still nothing wrong there! If you have holes in your collection to fill, feel free to discuss it, the going prices, etc. Even if you are just a 'collector', heck, there's nothing wrong with that either. To each their own.

However, I have noticed that posters on this forum that regularly post game re-caps, rules questions, share tactics, and generally espouse the playing of ASL with enthusiasm, seem to get quickly found and offered deals far better than eBay and BGG. You can find posts from players who received counter sets, scenario packs, and even entire modules for nothing more than the price of postage. One poster, and resident curmudgeon :p, lost his entire collection in a house fire and the community replaced it for nothing. Not for $350 a module, not for 'only' $90 a module, but for nothing.

Bob, this is by no means to be meant as any sort of personal effrontery; just a tip if anything. Show your love for ASL in any way you see fit, your posts will be welcome here regardless; but show your love of playing ASL and you would be surprised at how this community responds.

Good gaming!

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob, I am not saying you are just another 'collector', I don't know you or your gaming habits. However, I have noticed how many of your posts focus on nothing but acquisition of the ASL system. Hey, still nothing wrong there! If you have holes in your collection to fill, feel free to discuss it, the going prices, etc. Even if you are just a 'collector', heck, there's nothing wrong with that either. To each their own.

However, I have noticed that posters on this forum that regularly post game re-caps, rules questions, share tactics, and generally espouse the playing of ASL with enthusiasm, seem to get quickly found and offered deals far better than eBay and BGG. You can find posts from players who received counter sets, scenario packs, and even entire modules for nothing more than the price of postage. One poster, and resident curmudgeon :p, lost his entire collection in a house fire and the community replaced it for nothing. Not for $350 a module, but for nothing.

Bob, this is by no means to be meant as any sort of personal effrontery; just a tip if anything. Show your love for ASL in any way you see fit, your posts will be welcome here regardless; but show your love of playing ASL and you would be surprised at how this community responds.

Good gaming!
You make good points and I am still learning the ASL rules but really do not feel confident enough to play others coupled with not being a particularly social person.(I played Squad Leader over 30 years ago and I was just starting ASL when life intervened) I'll get there eventually it just takes me longer.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should probably also point out that I would make a lousy collector. I mentioned the copy of Korsun Pocket and Streets of Stalingrad, well the first thing I did was punch the counters. :)

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You make good points and I am still learning the ASL rules but really do not feel confident enough to play others coupled with not being a particularly social person.(I played Squad Leader over 30 years ago and I was just starting ASL when life intervened) I'll get there eventually it just takes me longer.
Bob, just give it a go. The last meeting of our local ASL club, I gave a game to someone in a similar situation. He played SL 20-30 years ago and had been buying ASL modules when he found them cheap, but he had neither touched any of them nor gamed in decades. I helped him through an infantry-only scenario (A Bloody Harvest) and we had a good time. He's now got the bug and is excited about becoming a regular member of the club. I've done a lot of solitaire gaming, but ASL really comes into its own when it's done face-to-face. I hope that you can get a game soon.

P.S. I can also vouch for the kindness of the community if you jump in, having been on the receiving end of generosity from a couple of members here.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

However, I have noticed that posters on this forum that regularly post game re-caps, rules questions, share tactics, and generally espouse the playing of ASL with enthusiasm, seem to get quickly found and offered deals far better than eBay and BGG. You can find posts from players who received counter sets, scenario packs, and even entire modules for nothing more than the price of postage. One poster, and resident curmudgeon :p, lost his entire collection in a house fire and the community replaced it for nothing. Not for $350 a module, not for 'only' $90 a module, but for nothing.

Good gaming!
I was gifted some of the following, Yanks Complete, Crucible of Steel complete, Red Barricades map, an un-punched (not any more:D) copy of Onslaught to Orsha and 2 sets of German OB Complete, and that was for nothing apart from the kindness of folk on here. NOW SOME F*&^ER GIFT ME CDG & AoO!:p

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Last edited:

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Way over priced garbage... A few months ago the new 3rd edition BV in shrink wrap was only $30 more (Canadian) minus a wore out 20 year old 1st edition box all covered in grimy finger oil & germs. Wait for another reprint. just go to MMP's main webpage on Consim and keep requesting one. That's the one module they'll be keeping readably available.

Last edited:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I was gifted some of the following, Yanks Complete, Crucible of Steel complete, Red Barricades map, an un-punched (not any more:D) copy of Onslaught to Orsha and 2 sets of German OB Complete, and that was for nothing apart from the kindness of folk on here. NOW SOME F*&^ER GIFT ME CDG & AoO!:p
I just soldcopies of these last month had I known you were after then you know you would of got at least one from me. !

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Olli my friend, you have given me more than enough over the past few years.
But if you ever have spare in the future I will certainly buy them off you mate.