So Anyone Got Any Good Deals from eBay Lately?

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes. I didn't see your post until I had already posted. I agree that sniping is the only way to go and saves big $$ in the long run.
This is exactly the point that I was making with my description of "nibblers." You have described the situation with much more greater clarity, so perhaps now others will understand. Again, in fields that are highly collected (where eBay is hands down the greatest source for the items being collected [antiques, especially]), sniping is the only mode of bidding in the community. I've won about 1,300 auctions over well more than a decade at eBay (due largely to the days when I collected antique books and fountain pens) and the value of sniping couldn't be more obvious to me. (Again, sniping doesn't necessarily mean an automated service, it's simply that such a service is much more convenient and the cost is negligible compared to what it will save you.)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I probably wouldn't in your case either but I don't own all the necessary stuff and it is only available on eBay.
I got a good chunk of my "stuff" from directly fellow players around the world and at non eBay prices, some for free. Nothing's "only" available on eBay.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a good chunk of my "stuff" from directly fellow players around the world and at non eBay prices, some for free. Nothing's "only" available on eBay.
Good for you, however, I am not sure that your situation applies to me as I am not a well known (in the ASL community) personality. For me the main access to needed core stuff is eBay.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Look, you can pop a quarter into a parking meter and be on your way, or you can spend a half hour searching for loose change on the floor of your car in order to feed the meter the absolute least possible amount. I am not going to waste my time trying to game e-bay.
As is often times the case, you speak in a factual manner but what you say makes little sense. Total time to enter an auction into esnipe and place your max bid is like maybe 30 seconds and that includes a 15 second break in case spending 15 seconds typing is too fatiguing to do in one sitting. But, hey, you're probably right. What would I know, with my two eBay accounts active since 1998 with 47k feedback between them?

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use e-bay quite often. Bid once to ensure the item stays (if there are no bids, the seller can pull it off) and bid late with my max. Another copy of the item will likely come up again if I miss it. You know e-bay relies on the behavior aspect when they haven't changed to a true auction format. I buy on Gunbroker and the rules there are the action ends at WXYZ time OR 10 minutes after the last bid. I far prefer that format. Very seldom do i see an auction there that doesn't end at the original time. But, their circus and their rules so you adapt.

tmanmerlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you bid what you are actually willing to pay and no more, you have no need to snipe. If someone comes in at the last second and outbids you, it doesn't matter, because you weren't willing to pay that much anyway. Otherwise, you get the item for a price you were willing to pay. It is foolproof. I have bought hundreds of items on e-bay that way and not once did I pay more than I knew I was willing to pay. Sniping is for people who want to try to game the system.

If you are a real bidder you don't have a actual price you are willing to pay.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
my best buy/aquisition has to be Peoples Wargames Korsun Pocket. Unpunched and in mint condition, for a mere £80 inc P&P, L2's Streets of Stalingrad cost me £130 which was I think very good. ASL stuff is well over priced, I have had a few good runs on e-bay , such as 2 x German OB unpunched for £20 but that's about it.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my best buy/aquisition has to be Peoples Wargames Korsun Pocket. Unpunched and in mint condition, for a mere £80 inc P&P, L2's Streets of Stalingrad cost me £130 which was I think very good. ASL stuff is well over priced, I have had a few good runs on e-bay , such as 2 x German OB unpunched for £20 but that's about it.
I bought both of those new. I even made my own box for Korsun Pocket. I have punched them out though. But when it comes to large games I think The Longest Day takes the cake.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I bought both of those new. I even made my own box for Korsun Pocket. I have punched them out though. But when it comes to large games I think The Longest Day takes the cake.
Is that the AHGC The Longest Day? another of my past games I had and chucked away! I was to young when I bought it (13 or 14 IIRC) and never even tried to play it. would like to own it again.
Yep, Korsun Pocket is a very good game, especially when you consider how old it is. I doubt I will have the time to play the whole CG until I retire in 8 years (55 then) but scenario 4 is a good small one to sink the old teeth into.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep that is the one. What is interesting is that when you lay down the boards and stand over it it looks like you are viewing the area from orbit. As to me, much to my wife's dismay, I don't chuck much of anything.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep that is the one. What is interesting is that when you lay down the boards and stand over it it looks like you are viewing the area from orbit. As to me, much to my wife's dismay, I don't chuck much of anything.

I learnt to late not to chuck anything, I would hate to think how much I chucked away that fateful day in Germany all those years ago.:facepalm:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I never throw anything away any more.
I lost Model Railroader mags dating from Jan. 1979 to Dec. 2002 when my wife convinced me to chuck them, wish I hadn't now.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I think it would be fitting if this thread had zero replies.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
It can be done, it's just not common any more.
One has to vigilant, patient, and lucky.
I can never manage the last part. :)