Snipers for ASLSK

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Anyone interested in playtesting some rules for Snipers for ASLSK? I slimmed (mildly) the rules from the ASLRB and wrote some of it in plain English. Since the ASLSKs don't come with counters, I created simple templates for use (a savvy graphics person could easily crush my work but they function). In the absence of SAN being set for each scenario, I created a random SAN generator based on mapsheet topography - it's not scientific or necessarily historically accurate. In nutshell, denser terrain (city vs. countryside) stands a great chance for, and higher SAN. Or you can compare scenarios to similar full ASL ones to predict SAN. I've proofed the rough draft but I'm sure it still needs some work. The counter scans should print the correct size. Eh? I don't want to make ASLSK full ASL but the Sniper component is cool, adds drama, and as a Combat Commander player as well (forgive me), I like the unpredictability.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Typically the defender gets a higher SAN than the attacker, particularly in village/urban areas. Also, see SSR #5 in Scenario S35 "The Volga is reached!" for a very simple sniper rule.

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Great feedback. I’ll incorporate it. I just got my hands on S35 so I’ll check it out (was flying blind till now). Thanks!

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
This hardly qualifies as an exhaustive review but I looked through the 2nd edition Yanks and 3rd Edition BV and found no clear theme that defenders have higher SAN. In many cases they were equal. I’d recommend that players house-rule SAN levels to suit themselves. If you use the randomizer I’ve provided, you can take it as-is or possibly roll once and subtract one for the attacker if that seems to work better. I hope some of you found some value in this. Thanks!

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This hardly qualifies as an exhaustive review but I looked through the 2nd edition Yanks and 3rd Edition BV and found no clear theme that defenders have higher SAN. In many cases they were equal.
Some SAN are equal, and sometimes the attacker SAN is actually higher. I am just guessing here, but I bet that the Defender SAN averages a full point higher than the Attacker. To pull some #s out of thin air, I guess 3.75 to 2.75.

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I got similar feedback from another player too. I’m making a couple of adjustments to this for the ASLSK crowd. I’m removing sniper check and TI as well as altering random SAN. The defender rolls and then the attacker will roll for a modifier if between 0 and -2 below the attacker. That should help mirror ASL and reduce the complexity some. Thanks for all the advice gang.

Baetis

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, I’ve deleted the original file to avoid infringing on the original source material and to add the edits folks have provided. More to come.

Der Fleischer

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
I find this an interesting post and had to comment from a military use of snipers perspective. Snipers do not randomly and exclusively kill key personnel and move, although that is one of their multiple missions they perform. One of the key roles of a sniper team is to perform reconnaissance missions due their unique ability to move undetected by enemy forces. In addition, snipers often assume a number of support roles, both on the offense as well as the defense. As an example, a sniper can support offensive operations by assuming an over-watch position. For this type of offensive support, the sniper assumes a concealed position which directly overlooks the battlefield. From that concealed position, he is able to support the advancing force by eliminating those enemy forces that could endanger the assault. An example of a sniper in support of defensive operations is the conduct of a blocking action. In this type of defensive support, the sniper sets up (concealed of course) in such a way that they are able to help friendly ground forces defend their positions. Snipers are a very multi-dimensional force multiplier that are extremely effective both on offense and defense. This is likely why the SAN in ASL is equal in many scenarios although, where a clear advantage exists in force capability, it is also weighted one way or the other based upon the scenario designers research. I would love to see a sniper rule for ASL SK but that would likely unbalance many of the already published scenarios. Keep at it though!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The SAN in ASL is very seldom a guy with a rifle and a telescopic sight. It represents "bad things" that happen.
If there was intermitent mortar fire or the occaional mine, not enough to form a field, then this would be modeled by a higher SAN.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If there was intermitent mortar fire or the occaional mine, not enough to form a field, then this would be modeled by a higher SAN.
I think it could be modeled as a higher SAN rather than would. Using a higher SAN than otherwise warranted is one tool option in a scenario designer's toolkit. If a scenario designer can come up with an intriguing alternative, that for me is a plus. The 320 mm spigot mortar in Kakazu Ridge is an example of something that might have been sorted into the "higher SAN" bin but I think is intriguing.

JR