Sniper target selection

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi everybody....

Maybe its a silly question but I doubt...

A concealed stack with two dummies and a Hs is subject to a sniper attack. Do all dummies count as one posible tarrget, or each dummy as a posible target? I think I dont understand properly A14.23.

Thanks in advance

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In your question I can't quite make out if the HS is concealed or not. If the HS is unconcealed, make a Random Selection between two potential targets, the HS and the concealed stack. If the HS is concealed, the HS is attacked automatically.

Note that the selection process for SAN is different from Random Selection for not-SAN, A.9. In RS for not-SAN, each concealed counter (but not the concealment counter itself) gets a die. In RS for SAN, only real units get a die.

I never remember which is which, and look the rule up when it is an issue. I just know there is a difference.

JR

Last edited:

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
all is concealed.

Its a concealed stack with 2 dummies and a hs...

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
In your case, you must RS. The HS counts as one unit, and dummies combined count as one unit. If the dummies are targeted they are removed.

A.9, A14.23, & E1.4 Are dummy units in a concealed stack with non-dummies considered Eligible Targets when rolling for RS on a sniper attack?​

A. Yes; all the Dummies would be considered one (combined) Eligible Target.​

When there are both concealed and unconcealed targets in a stack, the concealed units count as one unit for purposes of RS.

So if your Location also included an unconcealed squad: 50% chance the squad is hit, 50% chance the concealed stack is hit.

If the Location included a unconcealed squad, a concealed HS, a concealed SMC, plus a dummy, then RS first between the concealed stack and the squad. 50% the stack is hit, 50% the squad. This time, however, if the concealed stack is hit, RS again between the dummy, the HS and the SMC.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Note that the selection process for SAN is different from Random Selection for not-SAN, A.9. In RS for not-SAN, each concealed counter (but not the concealment counter itself) gets a die. In RS for SAN, only real units get a die.

JR
As per my post above (and the cited Q&A), all concealed units count as one unit when RS is needed versus unconcealed units. Once the concealed stack is selected, all dummy ?s RS as one unit. Any real counters (see A.9) RS individually.

Without the Q&A the RB leaves this question somewhat unanswered.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As per my post above (and the cited Q&A), all concealed units count as one unit when RS is needed versus unconcealed units. Once the concealed stack is selected, all dummy ?s count as one unit. Any real units count individually.

Without the Q&A the RB leaves this question somewhat unanswered.
You are correct, and I mis-remembered the difference. But the two are different. A.9 RS still uses one die per concealed counter, so a unit with a SW is more likely to be selected than one without, and each dummy counter gets a RS die. Selected dummies are eliminated and do not count for the RS in A.9. SAN RS uses one die per "eligible target", so units with SW are no more likely than units without, and there is only one RS die for dummies no matter how many there are. If the dummies are selected, they are all eliminated but do count for the RS.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
You are correct, and I mis-remembered the difference. But the two are different. A.9 RS still uses one die per concealed counter, so a unit with a SW is more likely to be selected than one without, and each dummy counter gets a RS die. Selected dummies are eliminated and do not count for the RS in A.9. SAN RS uses one die per "eligible target", so units with SW are no more likely than units without, and there is only one RS die for dummies no matter how many there are. If the dummies are selected, they are all eliminated but do count for the RS.

JR
Oops! I fudged the difference in this case and edited my above post. Thanks!

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a flow chart floating around somewhere that lays this all out? If not, I may have to draw one up.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Another offshoot.
If the ?ed hex contains a BU AFV. and the Sniper lands or is close to the hex to select it (as they could be dummies)
At the time of selection, the owner says its eligible or not...does the SNIPER get to choose another target?
i.e. get to know vital information and then act elsewhere..
NOTE the BU AFV is concealed and not known...
Its not an issue of knowing its ineligible for end target hex location.

Using this information from the rule leads me to believe the hex HAS to be selected as the target hex first before revealing.
" Then, if a concealed stack is chosen as the sniper's target (either per the above Random Selection or if all units are concealed), the sniper player's opponent must declare the number (only) of eligible possible targets that stack contains. If it contains none (i.e., is a Dummy stack), it is automatically eliminated."

Does the SNIPER get to choose again....of course as long as you marked where it came from.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another offshoot.
If the ?ed hex contains a BU AFV. and the Sniper lands or is close to the hex to select it (as they could be dummies)
At the time of selection, the owner says its eligible or not...does the SNIPER get to choose another target?
i.e. get to know vital information and then act elsewhere..
NOTE the BU AFV is concealed and not known...
Its not an issue of knowing its ineligible for end target hex location.

Using this information from the rule leads me to believe the hex HAS to be selected as the target hex first before revealing.
" Then, if a concealed stack is chosen as the sniper's target (either per the above Random Selection or if all units are concealed), the sniper player's opponent must declare the number (only) of eligible possible targets that stack contains. If it contains none (i.e., is a Dummy stack), it is automatically eliminated."

Does the SNIPER get to choose again....of course as long as you marked where it came from.
The BU AFV is not a valid target. This must be communicated to the sniper player as the RS sends it only yo valid targets.
Potentially ignorance ones are a different matter.