Sniper Selection

ScottD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 CE AFVs are on a 2 lane stone bridge. There is a squad underneath one of the AFVs. The enemy sniper has been activated and is equidistant from both hexes (after random direction DR). Can either hex be chosen by the sniper player, or is a particular one selected and why? Thanks in advance, ScottD

ScottD

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
May not be totally clear, but the AFVs are in different hexes of the same stone bridge.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rules say the sniper goes to the "closest" hex, and will go to the hex with the "lowest TEM". Since CE is not TEM, but the vehicle +1 for infantry is TEM - I think it would select the hex with the infantry and the CE crew.

You could argue that you could select either hex, especially if the AFV was moving... (in which case the TEM wouldn't be applicable till the end of the advancing fire phase.)

Sam

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ScottD said:
Can either hex be chosen by the sniper player, or is a particular one selected and why?
Both hexes have a lowest TEM of +0 (fire at the CE AFVs from down the road), so either hex can be chosen. While Sam is correct that the infantry can claim +1 TEM from the AFV, the AFV (which is also a valid target) cannot claim that TEM for itself.

FrankH.

Reaction score
ScottD said:
2 CE AFVs are on a 2 lane stone bridge. There is a squad underneath one of the AFVs. The enemy sniper has been activated and is equidistant from both hexes (after random direction DR). Can either hex be chosen by the sniper player, or is a particular one selected and why? Thanks in advance, ScottD
My reading is from A14.21. I had a chance to look at this closely.

The hexes being equidistant means the lowest TEM in the hexes will determine which is selected.

"Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison..."

A TEM of +0 applies to each of the AFV in each hex. There is no lower TEM that may apply in this case.

Any TEM that applies to any other units such as frienly infantry in the same Location does not matter. :shock: A TEM of +0 has already been established as the lowest applicable TEM, and it applies to each of the two mentioned equidistant hexes.

Thus, the sniper player decides which hex is attacked.

Frank

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
+2 CE DRM not TEM?

I thought that the CE crew gets a +2 DRM against fire directed at it.

So the key word is TEM, thus the +2 DRM is from being in the AVF
not TEM. What is it?

Is that the key point of the solution?

Thanks