Sniper selection (again)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

A sniper lands equidistant to three targets. Two are in wooden buildings so +2 TEM. The other is in hex CC8 on board BFP8 - which is a hex surrounded by a wall.

I argued the in hex TEM of hex CC8 was +2. So I was free to select whichever hex I wanted. Which was important as one hex had his 9-2 with an HMG :) My opponent argued that the wall was not in hex TEM per A14.21 and so the sniper went there (squad + MMG). Who was right and why?

Then my sniper hits again and there are three units equidistant. Two are in trenches and the third target is an entrenched gun. The entrenchment gives +2 TEM so we assumed that everyone had +2 TEM and I was free to choose a target. Who was right?

Can someone please clarify how A14.21 works please?

Many thanks.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think your opponent was right in the first case, and (unless I'm overlooking some special detail about entrenchment) you guys got it right in the second case. It's pretty simple. If equidistant go to lowest IN HEX tem. Meaning no LOS dependent TEM. A unit in the middle of a huge in-season grainfield is nevertheless in 0 TEM. A unit in Crest status is in an LOS dependent status which does not count for sniper. Same for HA, it does not count even if your unit would have HA over every other single hex in play. If still tied, sniper choses the hex. RS choses from targets in the chosen hex. ACK! edit sorry not hex! location.... if the HEX has multiple locations you chose location.... RS choses from multiple units in a location.

Oh, massively important detail IMO. CE +2 is NOT a TEM, it's a DRM, but not a TEM! A CE vehicle in Open Ground is 0 tem for sniper. Snipers love to kill tank commanders!

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In-hex TEM is in contrast to hexside TEM. Note that with sufficient elevation advantage an open ground hex with a wall, even a 360° wall, can have its TEM reduced to zero. There are q&a on bridges and crest status, saying that neither is applicable. I don't think there is a rule stating it explicitly but B1.16 & B9.323 have enough clues to make it clear that walls are hexside TEM and not in-hex.

In the second question, both trench and emplacement are in-hex TEM [B27.7; C11.2], both +2 TEM, so the Sniper player can choose. Note that Gun Shield (for an unemplaced Gun) is not TEM, so an unemplaced gun would get its TEM from the hex. The CE DRM is also not a TEM, so it does not apply for SAN selection.

JR

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So when my 9-2 tells war stories to his grandkids he can now cite Injustice as well as Heroism to explain his scars.
Sam - I would say flip him back but A.2:)

Apologies for getting it wrong........................but it seemed correct. I mean it's a walled hex:rolleyes:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Mind blown!
That's a fairly common point of confusion. There's even a q&a on it, but technically the q&a isn't necessary. The rules never even suggest that the CE DRM is a TEM. It's just that from a "common sense" view it feels like the same thing, i.e. a physical object that gets in the way of bullets.

JR

Last edited: