Sniper in RS

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

A Sniper question:

An OG hex is selected as the target hex/location for a Sniper attack. The location has two squads and the Sniper counter of that side.

Question:
Is the Sniper included in Random Selection (RS) or not, or can the Sniper only be attacked by selecting it, hence declining the RS among the two squads?

I guess there are to possible answers:

1) Random Selection among the two squads and Sniper

2) Either choose an attack on the Sniper or RS among the two squads

A14.2 (part of it)
Should the target Location be occupied by > one eligible (14.22) target, use Random Selection to determine the target(s) in that Location [EXC: prior to Random Selection, the Sniper may choose one of the following (if present in that Location) as its target: the enemy Sniper counter; a Vulnerable Inherent Crew; or an unarmored vehicle; if any eligible target is concealed, see 14.23].

A14.22

"NON-TARGETS","All units are eligible Sniper targets except AFV with no Vulnerable PRC, units in subterranean [EXC: Caves; G11.8] or Interior-Building Locations, prisoners, or hidden/friendly/Aerial units. Enemy PRC are Vulnerable to Sniper attack if they are CE and/or occupy a Partially Armored AFV or unarmored vehicle. An unarmored vehicle with no PRC (14.33) can be considered an ineligible target at the Option of the Sniper player.")

The emphasized text in bold is by me and what I think is important.

Bjørnar

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bjoernar said:
I guess there are to possible answers:

1) Random Selection among the two squads and Sniper

2) Either choose an attack on the Sniper or RS among the two squads
You forgot the third and correct response:
3) Either choose an attack on the sniper or use random selection to select a target from all three potential targets (i.e. the sniper and two squads).

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

Thanks for the correct option. Even after some years with ASL I learn some new details all the time.

Regards
Bjørnar

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I disagree with Brian's answer, due to the rule that Bjørnar skipped, A14.21. It says: "If the present target hex contains neither an eligible target (14.22) nor the enemy Sniper counter...".

IMHO, this shows quite clearly that leaving out the enemy Sniper from the eligible targets definition in A14.22 was deliberate. The enemy Sniper is therefore really not considered an eligible target, but rather a special target that can be manually selected per A14.2, but therefore not part of the RS DR.

So I believe Bjørnar's option 2 is the correct.

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

Ole beated me :) (added)

By further considerations on this topic I do not think the Sniper is included in RS. RS is only for units and there is nothing in the rules that implies that there is an exception for the Sniper. I do not think that the possibility of being a target automatically include it in the RS that are only for units?

However, I change my point of view as soon as someone points to a convincing string of arguments.

Regards
Bjørnar

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ole Boe said:
I disagree with Brian's answer, due to the rule that Bjørnar skipped,
I do not stand by my answer if the rules were misquoted as I did not even reach for my ASLRB :)

Seriously, what an odd difference, that snipers are not eligible targets that can be targets. I had never caught that before (and I doubt it ever came up).

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Brian W said:
Seriously, what an odd difference, that snipers are not eligible targets that can be targets. I had never caught that before (and I doubt it ever came up).
I've never caugth it either, but I think it may come up once in a while. To have it come up, the enemy sniper counter must be in a hex that also contains some enemy units, and this hex must be selected by your sniper. Nothing you see in every scenario, but not too unlikely either.

I agree that the difference is odd, but it seems deliberate, since A14.22 doesn't mention the Sniper as an eligible target, and A14.21 clearly (IMHO) makes a distinction between eligible targets and the enemy Sniper. The A14.21 sentence I quoted above, even continues "... the attacking Sniper counter is moved to, and will attack, the hex closest (in hexes) to that target hex which does contain one/both of them.", where "one/both of them" refers "eligible target" or "enemy Sniper counter", so they're two distinct types of Sniper bait.

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi

Just a comment. I think the correct procedure is within those quoted rules, so they were not "that" misquoted.

Bjørnar :)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A14.22 makes it even more clear in the opening sentence:

"All units are eligible Sniper targets except ..."
By definition, the sniper is not a unit because it lacks MF or MP. A41.2 refers to targets defined by A14.22. As Ole already pointed out, A14.21 makes a distinction between an A14.22 target and the sniper counter as a target.

Interesting nuance should you have your units in the same hex as your sniper counter!