Sniper Alternate Target Selection question

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi

My SAN has been rolled and my sniper activates with a dr of 2. The Random Location DR then places my sniper in a hex devoid of targets.
The nearest enemy target units are 3 hexes away as follows:

Hex A contains an enemy HS in Open Ground.
Hex B contains an enemy squad in a single story wooden building and a CE AFV in bypass of that building.

Which hex will be the target of the Sniper?
A14.21 says "Should >= two such hexes be equidistant, the Location with the lowest TEM is the target. Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison..."

May I choose the bypass CE AFV as the target on the basis that the building TEM is not applicable to a bypassing AFV and asa result the AFV has an in-hex TEM of zero?

Or am I stuck with the fact that hex B is in-hex TEM of +2 while hex A is TEM of 0 and so will be the target hex?

Cheers
Jon

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My SAN has been rolled and my sniper activates with a dr of 2. The Random Location DR then places my sniper in a hex devoid of targets.

Hex B contains an enemy squad in a single story wooden building and a CE AFV in bypass of that building.

A14.21 says "Should >= two such hexes be equidistant, the Location with the lowest TEM is the target. Only the lowest (to a minimum of zero) in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM applicable to any eligible target currently occupying that hex, regardless of LOS, is considered in the comparison..."

May I choose the bypass CE AFV as the target on the basis that the building TEM is not applicable to a bypassing AFV and asa result the AFV has an in-hex TEM of zero?

Or am I stuck with the fact that hex B is in-hex TEM of +2 while hex A is TEM of 0 and so will be the target hex?
Since the vehicle has an in-hex TEM of zero, I think it is eligible for choice. In the same way, if the vehicle had been in a hex with an entrenchment that contained infantry, the vehicle still has an in-hex TEM of zero.

JR

SCK40

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this example, the actual target of the attack still needs to be determined by random selection because though two TEM are applicable the two units in the hex do not occupy separate Locations. Correct?

Answerng my own: No, it's not correct, because you can select the Vulnerable crew by explicit mention in A14.2. But I think you MAY roll RS if so desired, so as to have a shot at the guy in the building?

Last edited:

Michael B

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The crew has a +2 TEM supplied by the vehicle, so IMO the half squad in open ground is the target.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The CE modifier is a dorm but not a TEM so the AFVs tem is 0. If the AFV was in a building while CE it's tem would become+2. See D5.31.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The CE modifier is a dorm but not a TEM so the AFVs tem is 0. If the AFV was in a building while CE it's tem would become+2. See D5.31.
Also confirmed by old official Q&A:
A7.6, A14.21 & D5.31 Is the CE DRM considered an "in-hex TEM" for sniper alternate target selection purposes?
A. No. [J1]

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks guys

Looks like I get to Stun opponent's (Hi Jeff) Marder after all :)

Cheers
Jon

Stacks

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Thanks guys

Looks like I get to Stun opponent's (Hi Jeff) Marder after all :)

If the situation below was the case then the AFV could also be targeted.

Hex B contains an enemy squad in bypass of a building hex (or on the roof) and a CE AFV in the same building hex.

Last edited by a moderator:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Good point! It never struck me, that of course the AFV in-hex TEM is 0 most of the time as I was always thinking of the CE DRM only. Have to keep that one in mind.

von Marwitz

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Could the AFV itself be used as a +1 TEM as per in D9.3? By doing so would send the sniper to the open ground hex.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Could the AFV itself be used as a +1 TEM as per in D9.3? By doing so would send the sniper to the open ground hex.
Even if it is a consideration, the TEM does not apply to the AFV itself, only to Infantry. So the AFV crew still has a +0 TEM.

JR