Sneaky tactics...

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
After hours honing your skills, what sneaky tactics have you developed? Don't be stingy, share them with the rest of us! :D

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
After hours honing your skills, what sneaky tactics have you developed? Don't be stingy, share them with the rest of us! :D
Not even if you paid me or even offered me a "sleepover" with Michael Jackson!:p :cheeky:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
Not even if you paid me or even offered me a "sleepover" with Michael Jackson!
Okay, now I won't be able to eat or sleep for a week. Thanks!! :whlchr:

I didn't mean everyone's "super secret trademarked tactic," just some decent tactics that might be usefult to all.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take a look at "Appendix B - Strategy & Tactics Guide" in the TacOps User Guide (Guide - User.pdf).

That appendix consists of a series of short "bullet style" articles on strategy and tactics of modern ground combat as they apply to TacOps. The articles were written by expert TacOps players, experienced wargamers, and military professionals. I provided some minor suggestions here and there.

Last edited:

RobAPol

Reaction score
Country
ll
I'm a newbie at this but one tactic I've been using is to have a company in defilade pound the enemy to the front and generally keep them busy whilst a second company executes a flanking or rear attack. Seems to work perfectly well, although in real life I would suspect a flanking manoeuvre like this might lead to fracticide given that you'll have munitions flying in opposite directions.
One other (obvious) thing I do, is always call in the airstrikes from turn one and continually move their markers based on current intel. This way they arrive in minimal time.

RobP

Red

Reaction score
Country
llIsrael
CPangracs said:
Not even if you paid me or even offered me a "sleepover" with Michael Jackson!:p :cheeky:
This is the man Don whants me to "learn" from... :D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the most important aspects of TacOps tactics is understanding how to fire and get out of LOS.

That means you should study the SOPs and the visibility limits on the map. You can be at the edge of woods, hidden, and have the SOP set to reverse after firing. It's also important to understand the 15-second pulses and the commands involved. Defilate, for example, is a two-edged sword because is drastically improves your survivability but you need an extra initial 15-second pulse to get out of defilate, these 15 seconds you stay in LOS.

Overall, the main killer and the major difference between good and excellent players is artillery. It is also hardest to learn when playing the AI since a lot of "intelligent" planning is involved. Invest your learning time here.

A close second is probably helicopters, attack helicopters in particular, at least if you have resupply. They can devastate enemy columns and provide intel to ruin any plan, but they also die from M16s when you fly over a lazy corpsman pair. Plus they cost enormous lethality value, losing them looks very bad on your end-game resume (the latter also applies to any on-board system capable of indirect fire). Using them to best effect does require, just like artillery, long-term planning and strict sorting out of your on priorities: do you want attrition, intel, backstop or approach slowdown? If you try to get it all, you just get purdy helo wrecks littering the landscape.

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Okay, now I won't be able to eat or sleep for a week. Thanks!! :whlchr:

I didn't mean everyone's "super secret trademarked tactic," just some decent tactics that might be usefult to all.
Kill more of his stuff than he does of yours!;) :p

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
One of the best tactics I find overall in TacOps, is not to show the enemy the composition of your force until you are close enough or in the right position to smash right through the enemy.

If in the defense againts redfor however, the best thing to do is as above with hiding your force, and smashing the advance in stages reteating backwards to a main defesive barrier of units, which should be more than capable of ambushing and destroying the now slowed down red attack.

One thing that needs to be remembered when facing the redfor, never ever engage in a slugging match, it will 98% of the time end in tears, any redfor task forces needs to be pulled apart in pieces, until it is the right size to smash completley with little return fire.

remember this and redfor will always be at your knees :devil:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seriously, the best tactic I can put forth is good use of your recon assets and doing your damndest to make your opponent commit and slam him with a flanking manuever. I've never lost when I was able to do this. It's almost like playing chicken.

Most people think that massing their fires means having a huge cluster of vehicles in one area ready to be brought to bear when an enemy is encountered. I LOVE it when I see that! ;-)

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
I definatley dont mean massing fires too obviously, more what I meant was bringing the enemy into a hornets nest of cross fires rear ATGM shots and such like, im very good at setting these up, and recon is a big part of that. The best way to do it as I was trying to explain is to pull the enemy in with small and annoying forward units such as Brads and ATGM vehicles, dodging in and out of cover whilst retreating and exposing themselves to the fewest enemy units possible.

Keeping units hidden till the right moment, to almost assault the incoming advance. Believe me Curt im not dumb enough to use a huge wall of randomly massed fires, thats almost C&C style :cheeky:

But I have to say your way of doing things seems pretty water-tight, unless someone intelligant enough can feel something coming and do something about it quick enough.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About massing in one point: what you are supposed to mass in one point is the sharp end of you guns - the terrain you can shoot into effectivly needs the massing.

You are not supposed to mass the home end of the guns (read: the units themself) in one point.

Obviously that makes you vulnerable if the enemy doesn't hang out where you expect him to. So you need proper flank security and you need to move in a flexible formation and in terrain lanes that allow you to face a threat within the warning time frame that you flank security party gives you. This is where planning, timing and terrain study comes in.

On the positive side, enemy flanking parties almost always have vulnerable flanks :cheeky: