Snap Shot - Novice Questions

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here are the relevant Board snips. I have to retract my answer to Q3 in Binchois' post and even my "upshot" summary, it isn't adequate... I do not understand why the rubble does not block los in the final Q&A example.

9612 Firer V6
1 -- The firer is in V6. The target moves from T3 to U4. Snapshot at the T3/U4 hexside. Does the target receive the hedge? The orchard? Both? Same shot, reversed, target moving from U4 to T3 – identical DRM?
A. Yes. No. No. Now orchard also counts.

2 -- Make T4 rubble. Moving from T3 to U4, is the snapshot blocked? Is it hindered? Moving from U4 to T3, is the snapshot blocked? Is it hindered?
A. Not blocked (the LOS has entered, but not exited the Rubble hexside). No (the target is not in the rubble hex). Yes (the hexside is crossed by the LOS). NA.

9613 Firer S4

3. -- Firer in S4. Target moves from U1 to T1. Does the wall apply? Target moves from T1 to U1. Does the wall apply?
A. Yes to both.

9614 Firer S3
4 -- Firer is in S3. Target moves from P4 to Q4. Does the hedge apply? Target moves from Q4 to P4. Does the hedge apply?
A. No, target is in Q4 and LOS doesn’t touch P4 before reaching the vertices. Yes, target is in P4 and LOS touches Q4 before reaching the vertices.

Firer T169615
5 -- Firer in T16. Target moves from V14 to U14. Does FFMO apply? Target moves from U14 to V14. Does FFMO apply?
A. No to both per A8.15 “FFMO DRM cannot apply”.

Firer X179616
6 -- Firer is in X17. Target moves from V18 to U19. DRM? If V18 was rubble, would there be LOS and if so what would be the DRM? Target moves from U19 to V18. DRM? If V18 was rubble, would there be LOS and if so what would be the DRM?
A. +2 (Orchard + hedge). Yes, (rubble + hedge TEM). 0. Yes, rubble TEM.

Last edited:

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone explain by what logic the bolded part of item 4 and the bolded part of item 6 co-exist?

4 -- Firer is in S3. Target moves from P4 to Q4. Does the hedge apply? Target moves from Q4 to P4. Does the hedge apply?
A. No, target is in Q4 and LOS doesn’t touch P4 before reaching the vertices. Yes, target is in P4 and LOS touches Q4 before reaching the vertices.

6 -- Firer is in X17. Target moves from V18 to U19. DRM? If V18 was rubble, would there be LOS and if so what would be the DRM? Target moves from U19 to V18. DRM? If V18 was rubble, would there be LOS and if so what would be the DRM?
A. +2 (Orchard + hedge). Yes, (rubble + hedge TEM). 0. Yes, rubble TEM.

In "4" the half level hedge obstacle is crossed -- that is the los "crosses" the vertexes (because it must get into the P4 side of the vertexes to reach the target.) In "6" the half level obstacle hex is crossed for the LOS to get into the V18 side of the vertexes and thus should block LOS. A rubble hex blocks LOS between same level units on opposite sides of the rubble -- or am I mistaken about that?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IIRC, rubble is somewhat special when it comes to Snap Shot.

Also note that rule B9.42 (which now governs when a hedge/wall TEM applies during a Snap Shot) did not exist when those Q&A on the ABtF map were asked. So some of those answers might not be accurate anoymore. Not saying that is the case, but I do now of one Snap Shot Q&A referring to a Deluxe map that is now - per B9.42 - not valid anymore.