Snap Shot Concealment Loss

buser333

Reaction score
Assume no other units are on board. I know a concealed moving unit subject to snap shot does not lose concealment unless a result is achieved from the shot, but what happens when a concealed unit fires at this moving unit and the only LOS between the two is at the snap shot hexside? Does the firing unit lose concealment in this case?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A6.12. "Occasionally, the rules will specify that an entire hexside, part of a hexside, or a vertex be used for tracing LOS to/from instead of the hex center dot. This occurs during ... Snap Shot (8.15)." LOS from the target to the firer is traced from the hexside. If the entire hexside is not blocked, the firing unit loses concealment normally.

JR

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A6.12. "Occasionally, the rules will specify that an entire hexside, part of a hexside, or a vertex be used for tracing LOS to/from instead of the hex center dot. This occurs during ... Snap Shot (8.15)." LOS from the target to the firer is traced from the hexside. If the entire hexside is not blocked, the firing unit loses concealment normally.

JR
but you'd have to show a real unit (temporarily) with LOS to the firer to strip the firer's concealment

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
but you'd have to show a real unit (temporarily) with LOS to the firer to strip the firer's concealment
Yes, all the normal concealment loss rules would apply. But the LOS would be traced to/from the hexside.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Potentially temporarily. My hypothesis is that many people play temp reveal wrong.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Potentially temporarily. My hypothesis is that many people play temp reveal wrong.
Instead of posting something provocative, please explain how people are playing it wrong.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
It is just a continuation from other threads. A12.14 only allows you to regain concealment if no other GO enemy unit also has LOS to the unit attempting to temporarily reveal.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A unit that "forfeit its “?” momentarily" is just a mechanic to prove one has a real unit there. The unit does not actually lose/regain its Concealment.

Q&A:
A12.14

Is a unit that is “momentarily revealed” and instantly “regains” concealment for purposes of concealment stripping actually
considered to have lost concealment? For example, would this mean that ADJACENT enemy units would be come DM? Would
that unit lose cloaking and become concealed? etc?
A. No to all.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Can you give an example?
Well that was helpful. While crafting up my example and trying to parse up the sentences to make sure my hypothesis was sound, proved it wrong. Which makes me feel a lot better cuz I thought I had been playing it wrong for a very long time.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That part of A12.14 was somewhat "casually phrased." If you examine it as if it was mathematically sound, you can lose what was (probably) the intention. It can be a problem with all textual interpretation, not just with the ASLRB. Fortunately we have Perry. All praise Perry.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I prefer to blame the emphasis on compactness in the ASLRB. Being able to restate, clarify, or add more illustrations would do a world of good to some of the denser wall-o-text sections.

Perry is awesome, though.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, so we've all been playing it right? :D