Snap shot At Unit entering higher elevation

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What level is a unit entering a higher terrain (assume ground to first level hill; no other features within) And the Lower hex, ( the one the enemy is moving from) is OoLOS. Is the enemy subject to SNAP SHOT at the hex he is entering? or only at the depiction the Hexside is at (L0)??

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
What level is a unit entering a higher terrain (assume ground to first level hill; no other features within) And the Lower hex, ( the one the enemy is moving from) is OoLOS. Is the enemy subject to SNAP SHOT at the hex he is entering? or only at the depiction the Hexside is at (L0)??
The unit is pinned/broken etc in the hex it enters, at level 1 is the answer.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What level is he at for the snapshot?
If he's at the non Hill level he's oolos.
If he's at L1, he's in Los

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I didn't see this in the SNAP shot section ….Did I miss it?
" If affected by a Snap Shot, the moving unit is considered in the Location entered thereafter. "
This doesn't mean its fired at in the hex moving to....Under the Snap shot rule. Just that its considered to be in the terrain AFTER that shot.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"thereafter" means after the attack results....thus its target status can only be related to the hex it will end up in...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
What level is the snap shot able to be targeted here connecting the Green arrow (L6 to M6)
And from W3 to W4?

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Others would debate that with you.
Yes, that is a fair point...

But I think your answer is here,,,and jrv is better at ASL rules than I am...

[IMG alt="jrv"]http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/data/avatars/m/6/6623.jpg?1548951486[/IMG]
jrv
Forum Guru

JoinedMay 25, 2005Messages21,007Reaction score5,153LocationTeutoburger WaldCountry
llIceland

Sep 7, 2019
fanatic+1 said:
What hex do you use to determine the CA of the firing unit and range from the firing unit for a snap Shot?
The hex the unit is entering, not the hex it is leaving.

JR

Reactions:fanatic+1

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I've been reading a lot of snap shot posts...None describe this as far.
YET I've posted on FB and no one agrees that its on the higher level.
I think the rules do not address snap shot elevation...it strictly says HEXSIDE...
and a lot of examples are counterintuitive. So...I agree with you...
The unit enters the hex regardless of effect, but it doesn't state what level he's taking the shot at.
Interesting.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
#1 .. I don't think you can do that snapshot, because you can't see that hex side
#2 .. But IF you can do a snapshot against that hexside and the target unit ends up on the higher hex, as per A8.15 "If affected by a Snap Shot, the moving unit is considered in the Location entered thereafter."

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
#1 .. I don't think you can do that snapshot, because you can't see that hex side
#2 .. But IF you can do a snapshot against that hexside and the target unit ends up on the higher hex, as per A8.15 "If affected by a Snap Shot, the moving unit is considered in the Location entered thereafter."
As per your #1 statement, the elevation of the printed hexside doesn't block the LOS because the entire hex W4 is considered to exist at the higher level (B10.1) {see also definition of hex in the index [EXC: If using errata to denote the level of the hexside]}. In the first pic the snap shot would obviously be traced to the level two hexside. As long as there is a LOS to the hex in question it is an open LOS unless it would blocked to the hexside otherwise. Now if the snap shot were traced to the hex/hexside the unit is leaving as in the second depiction, then yes, the LOS/LOF would be blocked.

[EDIT] Took out reference to footnote 3A.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I've read the definition of a HEX...Good call.
But couldn't find how B3A applies. It kinda talks about Sangars.
LOS to which hex in question? The L2 hex in the first pic?
Are you saying the HEXside is at the level of the terrain you are leaving or entering?
Just a little clarification...
Thanks for the comment! :)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As per your #1 statement, the elevation of the printed hexside doesn't block the LOS because the entire hex W4 is considered to exist at the higher level (B10.1) {see also definition of hex in the index [EXC: If using footnote B3A to denote the level of the hexside]}. In the first pic the snap shot would obvioously be traced to the level two hexside. As long as there is a LOS to the hex in question it is an open LOS unless it would blocked to the hexside otherwise. Now if the snap shot were traced to the hex/hexside the unit is leaving as in the second depiction, then yes, the LOS/LOF would be blocked.
Good. Stewart mentioned it too and I know it’s the case for bypass but I was looking for the reference.

This bit is particularly importany ‘cause of the -2 shot!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've read the definition of a HEX...Good call.
But couldn't find how B3A applies. It kinda talks about Sangars.
LOS to which hex in question? The L2 hex in the first pic?
Are you saying the HEXside is at the level of the terrain you are leaving or entering?
Just a little clarification...
Thanks for the comment! :)
Ah yeah, guess I was remembering an older footnote that has been changed to an errata change to B10.1

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
In the first pic the snap shot would obviously be traced to the level two hexside. As long as there is a LOS to the hex in question it is an open LOS unless it would blocked to the hexside otherwise.

[EDIT] Took out reference to footnote 3A.
But you don't need to trace LOS to the HEX in question. LOS to the center dot isn't needed.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I"ve submitted a Q&A
Hopefully I've written it well enough.
The Snap Shot rules A8.15 don't necessarily clearly define the query.

Unit in U6 wants to fire a SNAP SHOT as the enemy unit crosses the V3/W4 hexside as it goes to the Higher elevation.

Can this shot be made at 1/2 FP using the SNAP SHOT rules?

IF the enemy unit were to travel the opposite direction, is the answer the same?

It is understood that a unit bypassing W4 is at L1 regardless of hexside and likewise a unit at V3 is at L0.
" B10.1 ...For aesthetic purposes, many hexes contain colors representing more than one elevation, but units therein are always considered at the elevation level containing the hex center dot."

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Did you send Perry the diagram as well...or tell him which board we are using?