Snap Shot and roadrate

Arghuleh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hello!
New here and new to the game, it is strangely fun to learn the rules even though I do not have anyone to play with. :)
I have scratched my head when reading the second example of A4.132 when a unit is entering a building with roadrate, and some questions popped in my mind.

Snap Shot gives you the ability to shot at a moving target on a hexside as Area Fire. The target in that case will not get the FFMO and FFNAM penalities, and it will not get the protection of TEM with the exception of walls/hedges. (A8.15). (rule text is simplified by me, not as written in rulebook).

1. Does the rule in A4.132 override the Snap Shot rule when the target is moving at roadrate, making the shot on a hexside as normal (no Area Fire) with FFMO and FFNAM penalities?

2. Also, if I understood it correctly, when making a shot on a target moving at roadrate, if LOF is crossing any obstacle such as woods or building deciption in the target hex, the shot is blocked (hence, normally you can shot at any target which is in a hex which you have LOS to). Or is this an exception only for buildings as in the example of A4.132?
Comment: Ahh, I believe I understand that example now, as there is open ground between the firer and the building, and shooting at the hexside the LOF is blocked by that building. So I guess the units in I8 can still fire the moving target, but with TEM protection as the target ends it movement in the building?

3. Lastly, when a unit using roadrate has ended its movement, and any defensive fire as been resolved, is the unit in the terrain depiction (i.e. building or woods), or is it still on the road?

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1. Essentially yes. When a unit uses road rate you can shoot him either at the centre dot or at the road as it enters the hex.
3. It depends on the unit and the circumstance. If a buiding road hex and infantry unit, then it is in the building but remember you can "Backtrack" so shoot it in the building then another unit can then shoot it in the road.
If a woods road then after it has stopped moving, if it is infantry it is in the woods but if a vehcile it is still on the road.