Snakey Pete's ASLOK AAR Part 3 Tuesday and Wednesday

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Clarification: Previous instalments were a day out for when I met people, due to the issue of jet lag and the days all merging into one.

Tuesday 5th October
I'd finally managed to get some sleep and gawd was it needed. I had breakfast with some of the ANZAC crew and the Euros. Feeling more alive, I thought it'd be good to ease myself into the day with agame against fellow Anzac Scott Byrne, who like me was feeling a little shellshocked after a run of bad results.

We played one of Murray McCloskey's new Break Contact pack (in final playtest) BC15 Bagging the Bago Bridge. I'm not a big fan of high leadership in smaller scenarios generally and this one just struck me as nothing special. Scott won, restored his Personal Morale Level and went back into the fray for the World Cup - Mission accomplished. I may have lost but I was okay about it as it was nice to play a game without the whole World vs USA thing.

ASLOK 1 and 6, WC still 1 and 3 (that second win might be a while coming)

I'd arranged to play Tabby at some point in the afternoon, but he was engrossed in a game that was going rather long so Fort moved our scheduled game forward. To be honest I was nervous as hell about playing - I wasn't even remotely up to speed in terms of playing quality and i just wanted to make sure I offered a little more than being a speed bump.

Before we played, I laughingly remarked that I would need to bring my "A" dice game just to keep it vaguely close. Prescience can be a *****.

I'd bought a bunch of Dispatches from the Bunker the previous day along with the new friendly Fire pack and Schwerpunkt 16 and Rallypoint 5 so it didn't take long for Gary to select DB083 Block to Bataan as our game.

Fort's initial defence require some tweaking due to Brush remaining Brush not going to bamboo and he ended up with a hedgehog defence with the Stuart behind the roadblock and the ATG propping up the flank away from the roadblock.

I take a left hand sweep with the middle force being slow and steady after Fort's firelanes made a shambles of my initial thrust. I had got hooked up on the wire, but then my dice went nuts and it continued for the rest of the game...

My 3 tank platoon went up the centre left, swung out to engage the infantry in front blocking my own approach route and up popped the 37LL ATG. The Stuart boxed its MA on the first shot and the ATG missed. I didn't. Snakes (Improb CH) folowed by a 2 on the CH check followed by a 3 on the effect. Bye bye ATG. Fort blinks but continues on relentlessly. The Stuart repaired the MA on it's first attempt later in the game when it had to be taken but I had a turn or two of breathing space.

My dice got even hotter when I generated a Japanese hero from a first line squad (I really didn't see this as exceptional until I went through the actual mods as I've created about 4 Japanese heroes previously) and I had my good leader, a squad with DC and hero next to his Stuart who had already IFed. It was then that the 60 mm mortar rescued the situation, the rof tear was expected, the final non-rof shot did all the damage though, causing a K/4 on the stack - you guessed it I rolled yahtzee. So athough I rolled 11 snakes (several Heat of Pins admittedly) during the game, I still couldn't pull out a win for the World.

Gary was a joy to play, his equanimity in the face of the satanic dice o' doom was to be admired. I'm not sure how seriously to take his idea of mounting my severed hand on a stick and using it to roll his dice though. I came away with a lasting memory of a game that I could dine out on forever (and I will) and my ASLOK experience was set in stone as truly great.

1 and 7 for ASLOK, 1 and 4 for World Cup.

The evening game was against Tabby and would be my last game in the World Cup with the Minis due to start the following day. I was keen to play something Eastern Front before diving into the PTO for the next 4 days so Scott and I looked at DB079 Mga Station - I liked the board setup, I liked either side and I thought it looked like real smash-mouth in yer face ASL .

The Streak continued with my first Prepfire attack of 20Fp up 1 being a snakes. The game continued along those lines pretty much with another 4 or so snakes as I waxed most of Scott's HTs early on, and paced myself to not trigger the reinforcements before the default turn. I felt Scott left me too many reasonable shots early on, even though I never used the 82 mortar (I couldn't figure out where and when to use it).

Tabby's a lot of fun to hang out with at ASLOK. The trashtalking and smart-ass remarks flew between our tables all week. I don't think I could have asked for a better roomie. I'm gutted that e-cigarettes are illegal in Australia as I was seriously tempted to grab one to help me cut down/quit.

ASLOK 2 and 7, World Cup 2 and 4 (final)

Looking at who I played in the WC, I'm pleased to have managed 2 wins:

Fortenberry, Burris, Holmstrom, Goldman, Pitcavage and Holst. I'll take that as a solid looking PIS record anyday. It looks daunting for a first time ASLOK attendee even now.

Wednesday 6th October - The Minis
The first game of The Emperor's Finest mini was with Rich Domovic, another of the Chicago alumni and a genuine nice guy. We played what is probably my second favourite scenario from Journal 1, J9 A Stiff Fight (with J12 Jungle Fighters being my fave).

I felt I was in the game right up until the last turn so I didn't disgrace myself although my weak spot seems to be handling armour in the early game - I am way too aggressive as demonstrated later in ASLOK in two games against Linton).

So out after one round but as Rich went on to win the mini, I wasn't going to shed any tears over the result.

ASLOK 2 and 8

Because we'd finished by 11am (yay for fast players) I had enough time to arrange a rematch with Mark Pitcavage, this time playing what may have been the best new scenario at ASLOK - Schwepunkt's SP190 Bottcher's Corner.

A few teething issues with setup, thanks to non-intuitive SSR defined terrain changes (these only work in VASL as far as I am concerned) and a misread of the setup area by Mark. Nothing that we couldn't fix quickly and no big deal for me.

Mark was a tad concerned about the dice, but even though I managed to stay moderately hot, I wasted no opportunity to show my bad rolls as well :D
I do need one of those larger Pleva towers though. Mark was too strong for me and I pretty much stayed in the game as long as I did due to the leader rolling well. I just couldn't get enough force there long enough to stick around. So The Pitman owns me 2 and 0 at ASLOK. Even Cleavin can't say that!

ASLOK 2 and 9

I took the rest of the day off to chat with people like Glennbo and Kevin Hill (sorry I ducked you all ASLOK Kevin, next time you're on my must play list) and wondered how long my dice would stay hot. I also got to meet JR and Steve Pleva so I'd pretty much accomplished my prime reason for attending ASLOK - meeting all these people I'd corresponded with on VASL, CSW, Gamesqquad and the old mailing list.

Oh yeah, I didn't forget to make my usual stop over to BP for more caffeine goodness.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Snakes (Improb CH) folowed by a 2 on the CH check followed by a 3 on the effect. Bye bye ATG. Fort blinks but continues on relentlessly. The Stuart repaired the MA on it's first attempt later in the game when it had to be taken but I had a turn or two of breathing space.
You didn't need to make the effects DR as I said as you were making it. The CH vs a gun and crew automatically destroy both.
Enjoyable game, I've checked into enbalming techniques for extremities...if you go before me, consider leaving your dice rolling hand to me, I've already picked out the walnut and silver stick on which to mount it.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Clarification: Previous instalments were a day out for when I met people, due to the issue of jet lag and the days all merging into one.

Tuesday 5th October
Oh yeah, I didn't forget to make my usual stop over to BP for more caffeine goodness.
[/INDENT]
[/LEFT]
Damn Snakey, if I knew you were a coffee madman like me you could have just got some of my elite bean I had, would have saved you a stroll to the multicultural disaster that is the American Gas Station.

Ever see Pulp Fiction?

"Damn, that's Gourmet sh*t!"

Oh well, next time when you are here in 2013.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Damn Snakey, if I knew you were a coffee madman like me you could have just got some of my elite bean I had, would have saved you a stroll to the multicultural disaster that is the American Gas Station.

Ever see Pulp Fiction?

"Damn, that's Gourmet sh*t!"

Oh well, next time when you are here in 2013.
definitely interested, I used to drink that Shock hypercaffeinated stuff but I get ulcers these days so have to stick to fairly mild blends with lots of milk - lattés and cappucinos are my usual fare - 24oz flavoured stuff was just perfect for this old man. 2013 is on, also have to schedule a game early on :)