snake eyes and cowering!

Bocko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Old questions never die. I did a search for this question but could not find an answer. If you roll snake eyes, do you cower?

Thanks
Chris

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bocko said:
Old questions never die. I did a search for this question but could not find an answer. If you roll snake eyes, do you cower?
If you would otherwise cower, then yes you do cower. There are some players that play with a house rule that a DR2 never cowers, although I have never used that house rule.

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
Bocko said:
Yup. And it really sucks when you're the guy firing. I hate it.

Then again, it has saved my bacon when I'm on the receiving end. The initial "EEK" when you see the snakes turns into a "Oh wait, he cowers. Hey, I might make it through this after all."

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just last night... my opponent fired a 1 -2 at me... And he cowered. No effect, no residual.

It was great. :)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate it when I fire a 1 -2 or 1 -3, then cower off the chart with snakeyes, then activate my opponent's sniper.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
... or when one is blessed firing with 1st line Brits ! 8)

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What I didn't realize - until I thought about it this way - is that cowering is actually very common. A 1 in 12 chance on every attack....

If not leader directed, etc.

I take LOTS of chances with less chance than that! :roll:

Digit

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Country
llUnited States
Actually, it's a 1 in 6 chance: 6 occurrences (1,1; 2,2; 3,3; 4,4; 5,5; 6,6) out of 36 possible dice combinations.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
cowering

Hey just play commonwealth troops and donot worry about it!
Take all the 1 shots you want and never worry about it.

Jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Here is a dumb "realism" question.
As British don't fear cowering, and fire all FP possible, even the smallest ones, they will provoke more SAN DRs.
Are there historical reasons that prove that Brits were more prone to suffer from snipers?

Of course this is not a true question for me, as ASL is just a game and most of "realism" questions lead to dead-ends [I thought useful to specify this, so that we don't extend a full discussion about that dumb question] :roll:

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
In game terms I'd have to say yes as because they don't cower, they don't duck as much. :D

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
Robin said:
As British don't fear cowering, and fire all FP possible, even the smallest ones
Well here's my question:

I've never passed up a shot for fear of cowering. I know what the cowering implications are but do others actually do this, "I'll fire at the moving guy in... no, wait, he might cower, nevermind."

Just checking.

Jeff "like I need another thing to think about" Barber

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never passed up a shot for fear of cowering. I know what the cowering implications are but do others actually do this, "I'll fire at the moving guy in... no, wait, he might cower, nevermind."

Just checking.
Well, yes. A very important target may not have moved yet. Your opponent moves someone else. You can fire at the moving / less important target now and Subsequent First Fire later. But if you cower, the more important target will get a free ride.

So, sometimes in such situations I decline to fire.

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
SamB said:
Well, yes. A very important target may not have moved yet. Your opponent moves someone else. You can fire at the moving / less important target now and Subsequent First Fire later. But if you cower, the more important target will get a free ride.

So, sometimes in such situations I decline to fire.
As do I but it's because I'm waiting/hoping for the better shot at the important target, not because of the potential cowering result.

Jeff "doesn't cower from cowering results" Barber

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
Are there historical reasons that prove that Brits were more prone to suffer from snipers?
I don't know about Brits, but I can tell you that playing a campaign with the Japanese is frustrating as your leaders quickly die if you expose them to fire. Good leaders will especially draw the hammer since causing them to fail morale once gives a good chance of never seeing them again.

FrankH.

Reaction score
Robin said:
As British don't fear cowering, and fire all FP possible, even the smallest ones, they will provoke more SAN DRs.

Of course this is not a true question for me, as ASL is just a game and most of "realism" questions lead to dead-ends [I thought useful to specify this, so that we don't extend a full discussion about that dumb question] :roll:
In terms of game playing, if a particularly important but unprotected British leader happens to be near the enemy sniper counter, the British are not "required" to fire all FP possible.

On a related but different note, there are a few aspects to sniper activation that are perhaps more curious than the fact the Elite and First Line British do not cower...

1. Ordinance firing on the Infantry and Area Target types generate two (or more) chances (DRs) of sniper activation. Ordinance firing at Vehicle Target type generate only one chance of sniper activation.

2. Small caliber mortars, and in fact all high rate of fire weapons, have a tendancy to generate sniper activation.

Please note I used the word "curious" instead of "unrealistic".

Frank H.

G

......thus designers should be careful when assigning SAN's in scenarios with lots of high ROF weapons.

I personally have subscribed to the idea that SAN is more than just sniper fire, but more of an abstract representation of "fate", if you will.