Smokestack snipers

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
In the RO CG I (X-Tag) are the smokestack snipers of the Martinofen active right from the start of the CG? It seems like a very long distance for snipers on the chimneys to be firing at units entering the map to the west. The rules say the Russians must control the chimney location - which they would do at the start of the CG. The rules make no other conditions for the snipers to be active.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Those snipers fire at maximum 6 hexes from a chimney (=240 meters), perhaps adjusting to closest target if the direction & range DR doesn't indicate an eligible target.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Where does it say that the snipers have a maximum range of six hexes?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You make a random location DR as per A14.2 from one of the chimney stacks. If that random DR does not land on an enemy unit does not A14.21 Alternate Target come into play?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Yes.
But the initial distance is 1-6.
That is why I spoke of adjusting to an eligible target if necessary.
Note that no Sniper counter is used for that attack.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that no Sniper counter is used for that attack.
Where does it say that?! It does say on a SAN DR 3 you may not choose to reposition (A14.2 ...Thereafter, it may be repositioned by the Sniper player (within the same placement requirements) if he forfeits an effective Sniper attack dr (dr 1 or 2 following a DR equal to his SAN) prior to selecting the hex for that forfeited Sniper attack.) your sniper but I don't see anywhere that it says you don't utilize your sniper counter(s). A Sniper attack is not repositioning it, it is called moving the Sniper counter to the location being randomly selected or making its attack.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A Smokestack Sniper attack is based on a randomly determined smokestack "chimney" hex - not any of the Sniper counters that are onboard.

O5.82:
"...Randomly determine which eligible “chimney” hex is the starting hex for the Random Location DR (A14.2)."

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
But the question remains unanswered. Can the smokestack snipers attack units at the other end of the map? The initial range from the chimney is 1-6 hexes but then you find the nearest unit - which may be 25 hexes away.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A Smokestack Sniper attack is based on a randomly determined smokestack "chimney" hex - not any of the Sniper counters that are onboard.

O5.82:
"...Randomly determine which eligible “chimney” hex is the starting hex for the Random Location DR (A14.2)."
So I was not wrong after all... ?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That is how I see it. But it may be worth checking with MMP.
You could do that - although there was nothing about a "range limitation" in the submitted material that I checked - so nothing was lost in translation there.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No sniper counters are used for the Smokestack Sniper rule. Unless one wants to add one specially for these rules only.
That is what I stated first - excepted that I don't think that a sniper counter is necessary.