Smoke in a building hex and fire within the different floors

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Dear all, sorry to bother but there is a situation in our game I am not sure I understand. A building hex has been smoke (now is dispersed) with a sM. The unit at ground level are shooting at the unit at 1st level. Two options:
a) the units are firing outside the smoke location (+3 DRM) and in a location with smoke (+2 DRM) with a TEM of +2 (wooden building) for a total of +7 DRM;
b) following A24.4 Q&A and A24.2 ("There is no limit to the number of SMOKE counters which can he placed in a hex but the total Hindrance DRM of SMOKE for any one Location can never be more than +3 [EXC: outgoing LOS Hindrance; 24.8]"), it is +3 DRM for firing outside a smoke location and +2 TEM for a total of +5 DRM.
Thanks for the help

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You confuse me by saying the sM is now dispersed. A sM (and all other SMOKE dispensers) is placed dispersed [D13.32 for sM].

Per A24.2, the SMOKE hindrance is per Location. There are two locations involved, firer's and target's, both of which have Smoke. The hindrances are +3 for the firer's location and +2 for the target location. If the target had been at level 2 (and so out of the Smoke) while the firer had been at level 1 (in the Smoke), the DRM would have been +3.

JR

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
You confuse me by saying the sM is now dispersed. A sM (and all other SMOKE dispensers) is placed dispersed [D13.32 for sM].

Per A24.2, the SMOKE hindrance is per Location. There are two locations involved, firer's and target's, both of which have Smoke. The hindrances are +3 for the firer's location and +2 for the target location. If the target had been at level 2 (and so out of the Smoke) while the firer had been at level 1 (in the Smoke), the DRM would have been +3.

JR
Thank you!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If the target had been at level 2 (and so out of the Smoke) while the firer had been at level 1 (in the Smoke), the DRM would have been +3.

JR
Is that one more of these quantum interference things? the smoke on the first ground is extra symmetric and ends up concealing itself, but only if the shot ends up going through the whole level of it?

(Note that there are not that many hexes where you have LOS between ground level and level 2, so this is a mostly rhetorical question - but at least between a level 2 building and a unit in Bypass at ground level, such LOS exists)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Is that one more of these quantum interference things? the smoke on the first ground is extra symmetric and ends up concealing itself, but only if the shot ends up going through the whole level of it?

(Note that there are not that many hexes where you have LOS between ground level and level 2, so this is a mostly rhetorical question - but at least between a level 2 building and a unit in Bypass at ground level, such LOS exists)
I am confused by this. Note that the two units in my post are at level one and level two, not level zero and level two. I believe the hindrance for level zero to level two would be +5 for firing down, +6 for firing up (out of SMOKE).

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am confused by this. Note that the two units in my post are at level one and level two, not level zero and level two. I believe the hindrance for level zero to level two would be +5 for firing down, +6 for firing up (out of SMOKE).

JR
OK, makes more sense to me. Sorry for the confusion.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States

JR
Sorry, one unit is at level zero the other one at level one. Therefore I understand it is +3 out of smoke + 2 into smoke and + 2 for TEM.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sorry, one unit is at level zero the other one at level one. Therefore I understand it is +3 out of smoke + 2 into smoke and + 2 for TEM.
Yes, for your situation at level zero and level one, +5 and +4 hindrance. I also described a hypothetical situation (at level one and level two, because then only one of the units is in the Smoke), and it was misunderstood as level zero and level two, which is not what I meant.

JR