Smoke Grenade in Pillbox hex

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
Say a squad successfully places a smoke grenade into a pillbox hex. Not into the specific Pillbox Location, rather just the hex in which the pillbox resides. And now say the occupants of that pillbox subsequently fire their IFP or a MG, is such fire impacted by the smoke hindrance? In this case +3 since firing out of a hex containing smoke. It's the separate Location language for pillboxes that has me a little confused.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think yes, the smoke hinders LOS to/from the pillbox/its-occupants, but I don't think it's +3 for fire out of the pillbox since A24.8 says "units inside the SMOKE Location", and B30.34 says "A pillbox Location may never contain SMOKE...". I think the LOS has to go through the non-pillbox Location in the pillbox's hex, and the smoke is in that Location.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I view it in much the same manner as firing out of a cellar Location in a hex that has SMOKE at the base level of the hex since both the PB & the cellar are separate Locations.
A24.4 & O6.3
Does ground level smoke extend into cellars? Would a LOS traced from a Cellar Location to >= Level 0 be affected by Smoke at Level 0 in that Cellar unit's hex? If yes, would that Cellar unit also suffer the extra +1 Hindrance for viewing out of SMOKE (A24.8)?
A. No. Yes. No. [J1; Mw]