Smoke Dispenser and Defenisve Fire

Raptorfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi everybody I need some help with the use of Smoke Dispensers.
First: Does the use of a Smoke Discharger qualify the opponent for Defensive Fire? I understand that the Firer of an SD does not get a Fired marker on the vehicle counter. But since it costs a movement point to fire SD I am not sure.
Second: If a Vehicle comes in LOS of an enemy unit and wants to fire an SD, can the opponent fire before a (succsessful) roll for SD? So the moving vehicle does not gain the advantage of its dispered Smoke? Or vice versa? Thank you for your help and if possible could anyone add the applicable rules section to the answer? Thanks in advance.
Oliver

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
First: Does the use of a Smoke Discharger qualify the opponent for Defensive Fire? I understand that the Firer of an SD does not get a Fired marker on the vehicle counter. But since it costs a movement point to fire SD I am not sure.
If a Smoke Dispenser is successfully fired the vehicle spends 1 MP. Defensive First Fire is allowed vs that 1 MP.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Second: If a Vehicle comes in LOS of an enemy unit and wants to fire an SD, can the opponent fire before a (succsessful) roll for SD? So the moving vehicle does not gain the advantage of its dispered Smoke? Or vice versa?
Firing a Smoke Dispenser is a separate MP expenditure, so an MP expenditure prior to the declaration of an attempt to fire a Smoke Dispenser can draw Defensive First Fire. So those MP spent coming into LOS can draw fire.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Just remember that a Smoke Dispenser is a separate, 1 MP expenditure, but only if successfully placed. The Defender can fire at any MPs spent prior to that Dispenser attempt.

If you fail to place Smoke, zero additional MPs are spent, so there are no MPs for the Defender to fire against.

And if the Dispenser was successfully placed, the resultant Smoke would be immediately present and would hinder any Defensive Fire against that MP expenditure.

Raptorfan

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
@Klaas und Lester, thank you for helping me here.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, you can fire a sD, sM, sP, sN or using Crew Smoke (D13.35...Smoke Grenades (A24.1) using the same rules as attempting to fire a Smoke Dispenser (13.2-.3)...) without expending a MP of your vehicle. Per D13.2 ...During the opponent's MPh, a smoke dispenser usage attempt can be made following any MP/MF expenditure by an opposing unit in the vehicle's LOS as if it were intervening with Defensive First Fire.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Only if not fired any weapon yet..

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
sM can be especially nasty. You can lob smoke into the opponent's hex (8 or less if CE and you have't started moving yet), start up and drive up adjacent and bang away at him.