Smoke blocking LOS to SR blast height.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
C1.331 says that if the observer has LOS to the SR blast height he may correct that SR. In my situation the LOS to the blast height is blocked by Smoke.
C1.335 says that disregarding Smoke if there is no LOS to SR blast height it must be corrected.

What do I do? C1.335 says correction is not mandatory because the Smoke is disregarded. But according to C1.331 I cannot voluntarily correct the SR.

Do I have to cancel the SR and start with a new AR?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Disregard Smoke.
If you now have LOS to the blast height, correction is not mandatory.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Disregard Smoke.
If you now have LOS to the blast height, correction is not mandatory.
Hi Robin,

I considered taking that option but what worries me is that C1.331 does not say disregard Smoke. It just asks; do you have LOS to the blast height? Which I do not because of Smoke.

C.1335 says disregarding Smoke; if there is no LOS to the blast height the SR must be corrected. Does this imply that if there is a LOS to the blast height through any Smoke then the SR does not have to be corrected?

I wish C1.331 said "disregarding Smoke" if you have LOS to the blast height then you can correct the SR or leave it in place.

It has got me in a muddle.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Those are different conditions that allow or forbid different actions:

According to C1.331, you may not leave the SR in place, and may not convert it to FFE - because you don't have LOS.
According to C1.335, you don't have to correct or cancel that SR - because if you disregard smoke, you have LOS.

So, it is clear to me that you may not leave the SR in place. The fact that C1.335 doesn't force you to correct or cancel doesn't matter, because it clearly doesn't allow you to leave the SR in place.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The question now is about correcting the SR. Can the correction be accurate and is it treated as a voluntary correction?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The question now is about correcting the SR. Can the correction be accurate and is it treated as a voluntary correction?
My flowchart (which may not have sticky errata applied to it) says if you have no LOS to the Blast Height of the SR, correction is mandatory but can certainly be accurate as you are rolling based on the location of the AR you place, not the SR you have.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Note that the flowchart does not take into account all the "disregarding smoke" situations.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just noticed that according to C1.331 you need an LOS in order to correct the SR as well. So because there is no LOS to the SR it cannot be left in place or corrected. Maybe it has to be cancelled?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Does anyone believe that C1.331 should include "disregarding Smoke" even if it does not say so?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Just noticed that according to C1.331 you need an LOS in order to correct the SR as well. So because there is no LOS to the SR it cannot be left in place or corrected. Maybe it has to be cancelled?
Just go down the list C1.331-C1.337 and check if you meet the condition. If you don't meet the condition, you don't have to read further. You don't have LOS to the blast height because of smoke, and Do have LOS disregarding smoke. So:
C1.331: NA
C1.332: NA
C1.333: NA
C1.334: Check. You may leave a FFE in place
C1.335: NA
C1.336: Check. You can cancel the SR and may make a new AR
C1.337: Check. You may cancel a FFE

If you have a SR, your only option is C1.336, cancel the SR.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just go down the list C1.331-C1.337 and check if you meet the condition. If you don't meet the condition, you don't have to read further. You don't have LOS to the blast height because of smoke, and Do have LOS disregarding smoke. So:
C1.331: NA
C1.332: NA
C1.333: NA
C1.334: Check. You may leave a FFE in place
C1.335: NA
C1.336: Check. You can cancel the SR and may make a new AR
C1.337: Check. You may cancel a FFE

If you have a SR, your only option is C1.336, cancel the SR.
That kind of figures! Thanks.

Shmitty008

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Little bit of an aged thread, but might be better than starting a new one. I'm just making sure I'm clear on this - if an OBA observer is Smoked in (+3 smoke in hex and on all adjacent hexes), he would be unable to place an AR on any hex except his own - is that correct?

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Little bit of an aged thread, but might be better than starting a new one. I'm just making sure I'm clear on this - if an OBA observer is Smoked in (+3 smoke in hex and on all adjacent hexes), he would be unable to place an AR on any hex except his own - is that correct?
I'll go out on a limb before the grogs respond by saying that you are correct, C1.3 states that if you place an AR and have no LOS to it, the AR is removed and you lose battery access. No mention of disregarding smoke at this point, these all come later, C1.334 onwards for SR and FFE.