Small Unit Actions 1: Capture of Balta

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a short review of the contents of Small Unit Actions 1: Capture of Balta. If you are just going to bash Critical Hit may I suggest you start your own thread.
Like others here I have not purchased anything from CH in a while. For about $40 plus shipping I thought I'd check out SUA1: Capture of Balta. It came in the mail yesterday, so I thought I'd give a quick review for anyone else who may be wondering about what it is.
I have not played any of the scenarios, this is just a contents review.
It comes in a map panel folded over cover. Inside is one 8.5 x 11 two side page of special rules and notes. About half notes, half special rules. Nothing crazy, mostly terrain clarifications.
There is a sheet of 1/2 inch Romanian INF/SW counters. Six sheets with 11 scenarios on standard light stock. And 12 maps panels.
This makes a giant map about 72 inches by 36 inches. The town of Balta is about one and a half map panels on the west side of the map. There is a mostly one hex wide river running east west cutting off about 1/4 of the south part of the map. There are some level one hills in the north. The rest is open, trees and farm fields. There is some marsh and gullies south of the river but only one scenario even mentions crossing the river.
All scenarios take place on the included map panels, 9 are of the Balta action and two others (Bonus) are of other 1941 Russia actions.
There are 3 Romanian vs Russian scenarios, four German vs Russians and two combined German/Romanian vs Russians. The 2 bonus scenarios are one each of Germans or Romanians. OBA appears for the Russians in 5 of the 9 Balta scenarios and one of the "bonus" scenarios. Most scenarios feature only a few map panels.
The first scenario is the only tank vs tank action. The Romanians have 13.5 squads and 10 tanks vs the Russians with 25.5 squads and 12 tanks. Most of the rest of the scenarios feature about one to two dozen squads on each side thou two have less than half a dozen per side.
Only 2 scenarios feature the whole map, 8 & 9. Scenario 8 has 26 German/Romanian squads vs 29 Russians. The Russians get 2 light tanks. Nine and a half turns. Scenario 9 is a monster 30 turns with 15 Romanian squads and an AT gun, 16 German engineer and 20 other squads, no armor, lots of MGs, some FTs and DCs. The Russians get 66 squads, 7 light tanks, 4 bunkers, trenches, foxholes and lots of SWs. These are INF vs INF actions.
The one thing that stands out as odd to me is that the Russians have lots of leaders. As many or almost as the Germans/Romanians in almost every case.
The only source listed is CHM "Small Unit Histories."

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
That's the idea...a series of games based on accounts in CMH-104-22-1, Small Unit Action During the German Campaign in Russia, by the Department of the Army. This is a free download...recommended reading for anyone who plays ASL, SL, or ATS. All HASL maps.
The book covers the battle starting on page 149.

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a short review of the contents of Small Unit Actions 1: Capture of Balta. If you are just going to bash Critical Hit may I suggest you start your own thread.
Like others here I have not purchased anything from CH in a while. For about $40 plus shipping I thought I'd check out SUA1: Capture of Balta. It came in the mail yesterday, so I thought I'd give a quick review for anyone else who may be wondering about what it is.
I have not played any of the scenarios, this is just a contents review.
It comes in a map panel folded over cover. Inside is one 8.5 x 11 two side page of special rules and notes. About half notes, half special rules. Nothing crazy, mostly terrain clarifications.
There is a sheet of 1/2 inch Romanian INF/SW counters. Six sheets with 11 scenarios on standard light stock. And 12 maps panels.
This makes a giant map about 72 inches by 36 inches. The town of Balta is about one and a half map panels on the west side of the map. There is a mostly one hex wide river running east west cutting off about 1/4 of the south part of the map. There are some level one hills in the north. The rest is open, trees and farm fields. There is some marsh and gullies south of the river but only one scenario even mentions crossing the river.
All scenarios take place on the included map panels, 9 are of the Balta action and two others (Bonus) are of other 1941 Russia actions.
There are 3 Romanian vs Russian scenarios, four German vs Russians and two combined German/Romanian vs Russians. The 2 bonus scenarios are one each of Germans or Romanians. OBA appears for the Russians in 5 of the 9 Balta scenarios and one of the "bonus" scenarios. Most scenarios feature only a few map panels.
The first scenario is the only tank vs tank action. The Romanians have 13.5 squads and 10 tanks vs the Russians with 25.5 squads and 12 tanks. Most of the rest of the scenarios feature about one to two dozen squads on each side thou two have less than half a dozen per side.
Only 2 scenarios feature the whole map, 8 & 9. Scenario 8 has 26 German/Romanian squads vs 29 Russians. The Russians get 2 light tanks. Nine and a half turns. Scenario 9 is a monster 30 turns with 15 Romanian squads and an AT gun, 16 German engineer and 20 other squads, no armor, lots of MGs, some FTs and DCs. The Russians get 66 squads, 7 light tanks, 4 bunkers, trenches, foxholes and lots of SWs. These are INF vs INF actions.
The one thing that stands out as odd to me is that the Russians have lots of leaders. As many or almost as the Germans/Romanians in almost every case.
The only source listed is CHM "Small Unit Histories."
Any playtest credits?

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
Why on earth can't Ray employ a proper counter cutting machine? The picture above of the counter sheet shows that the horizontal cut between rows is often not in a straight line. This was the case in most of the nationalities sets I bought. It means (if you are a bit fussy like me) that you end up having to chuck out quite a lot of counters that are going to stick out on the maps as either being too big or too small in relation to all the others. I confess I don't know anything about the technicalities of counter cutting machines but is it really so difficult to fix?