Small arms of WW 1

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stumbled onto this series of youtube videos on the history of WW1 small arms, produced by "C & Rsenal" (here in the USA, weapons of a certain age (50+ years old) are eligble to be bought and sold with a Curios & Relics Federal Firearms License, commonly called a C&R license or FFL03). I've only watched two so far, but they've been pretty well done. Looks like there are at least 50(?) so far.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJvsSlrbdhn5v8AuvAZuOYJ5BgEEoDdqm

The first episode is on the Lebel.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've watched about twenty of these so far. They are pretty fascinating technically, although sometimes I wonder how accurate the amateurs doing the program are.

jwert02

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian

Nice post and thank you for pointing these out, some good stuff in there. I have a Berthier Calvary Carbine and they most have used some low power handloads as I'd rather get hit with a 2x4 then fire that thing loose on the shoulder as they do in the video.

From my experience in collecting WWI and WWII small arms, you'd be stunned what the amateurs out there know. I once purchased a WWI artillery shell (not the casing) and it had no discernible markings or codings. Driving bands were missing (copper, someone wanted them). I placed the exact measurements on a web forum along with a couple of pictures. In about 12 hours, the shell was identified (turns out it was 17cm german naval streamline shell with false ogive), I had a scan of the original german manual for the shell and some nice fellow included the original paint codes for what colors the shell would have been painted by german ordinance. I'm not sure exactly who the artillery geek was in Britain that responded so thoughtfully and carefully that night, but clearly I had made his evening.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know where online I could go to find out some info about an old WW1 rifle I acquired???

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone know where online I could go to find out some info about an old WW1 rifle I acquired???
What kind of rifle is it (e.g. is it a Mauser, a Carcano, etc.)? If you are not sure, post a picture and we can try to identify it.