Slopes!

What do you think of Slopes on regular boards?

• Slopes are GRRRREAT! put'em on boards!

Votes: 80 62.5%
  • No Slopes, No way, No how!

Votes: 48 37.5%

• Total voters

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMHO Slopes as presented in KGP are one of the best terrain addtions, if not THE best, that have ever been done. They add an entirely new dimension the playing surface, allowing hill plateaus to be broken up, allowing certain positions to see over those grain fields and walls, etc.

Keith Todd

Reaction score
IMHO Slopes as presented in KGP are one of the best terrain addtions, if not THE best, that have ever been done. They add an entirely new dimension the playing surface, allowing hill plateaus to be broken up, allowing certain positions to see over those grain fields and walls, etc.
I agree, now if I could someone to play the scenarios with slopes :devious:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Slopes add more tricky LOS to already tricky LOS as the ASL boards/maps are two dimensional and must be mentally trasferred to 3-D.

Unless you are Jeff DeYoung, of course.

Rich

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
The rules aren't too bad, and do spice things up a little.

Should these rules be included in the standard Chapter B so that standard boards can start using them (like some of the HOB boards)? As it stands, only HASL and some TPP maps have slopes.

I guess this was considered for the ASLRBv2, and decided against.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't vote mainly cuz I don't hate 'em and I don't love 'em either. A lot of text in the ASLRB for not that big a deal. If the rules could have been simplified to just a paragraph or two, I would probably play more scenz that use Slopes. Slopes are kinda like a really, really ugly girl with a dynamite bod...looks interesting, but is it worth the effort? :laugh::laugh:

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For some reason I find them easy to understand, so I'm for 'em. Now Bocage we can do without. Dump Bocage and put in Slopes. Bocage is in one lousy corner of France, but Slopes are everywhere. :shy:

Geoff White

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Slopes, yes. It should encourage downhill skiing............

G

Last edited:

rickh03301

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If this doesn't call out for a reprint of KGP I don't know what will.I'm with Glennbo on this one also too aswell.I find them easy to understand and it adds realism to the game.By the way check out my pecker.

Rick

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't vote mainly cuz I don't hate 'em and I don't love 'em either. A lot of text in the ASLRB for not that big a deal. If the rules could have been simplified to just a paragraph or two, I would probably play more scenz that use Slopes. Slopes are kinda like a really, really ugly girl with a dynamite bod...looks interesting, but is it worth the effort? :laugh::laugh:
The complexity seems to be the problem with almost everyone I have spoken with. They are very easily made less verbose. The concept is easy to understand and easy to implement.

I think they add a completely new dimension to the game. Now all hills don't need to be terraced plateau's...think of the board 39 forest covered hills and all the blocked LOS"s that make it a mostly unused board...with the addition of slopes you suddenly can see over the tops of some of those tree covered hills as now if you're a full level above the blocking tree hex and on a slope you're 1.5 above and can see over...AND if you don't want that for a particular scenario, an SSR simply states :Slopes are NA.

There are undulations in the earth, it is very rarely a flat plain like the salt flats...even the Russian Steppes have small rises and dips, slopes depict these in ASL terms. You get HUGE bang for your buck.

Steve Swann, you know I love you, but...I think you are not giving them a fair shake, and would like them if you tried them....is it the complexity of the writing for those rules that turns you off, or just "I don't like them"?

Interesting to see the hard line stances taken one way or the other.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For some reason I find them easy to understand, so I'm for 'em. Now Bocage we can do without. Dump Bocage and put in Slopes. Bocage is in one lousy corner of France, but Slopes are everywhere. :shy:
Glennbo's like a broken clock...even he's right twice a day. ;)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hate 'em..... not worth the effort IMHO. I am perfectly fine with the "step" ASL hills......

Though playing CGs makes you get better at them:D

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
If its slopes or Bocage, give me slopes any day. Bocage, now THAT is an over done (and overly complicated) terrain. How many products feature it:clown:

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are undulations in the earth, it is very rarely a flat plain like the salt flats...even the Russian Steppes have small rises and dips, slopes depict these in ASL terms. You get HUGE bang for your buck.

I think hedges and walls do a pretty good job of breaking up the boards for this 'effect'. Now, if we had some hedge overlays that only go on one side of the hex, or some easy way to do hexside-only overlays...:hmmm:

Now that I think about it, a few 'transparent' slope overlays might not be a bad idea. Slopes would be OK if there were just a few (<10) per board.

Seems they are just all over the HASL maps that have them. Kinda look like hairy bugs running across the ASL game.

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Huzzah! Slopes are everywhere and need to be a part of the core rules. Totally agree with others thoughts that the current rules language for them is too verbose.

I thought the article Chas wrote in the HOB Magazine RBF#4 was an excellent primer for them.