Slope rule conundrum

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Situation: I'm playing one of the Corrigedor scenarios. A HS with a MTR is on Level 1 of a building (hex KK12.1) that happens to have upslope hexsides around 3 hexsides of its hex. The base level of the building is on Level 1. An enemy unit is moving at Level 0 11 hexes away (hex Z14), with the Level 1/Level 0 crest line 10 hexes away (in hex AA13, next to the moving unit).

- The player with the Mtr says it can see the moving unit because it is upslope and per Ctr 6.3 "an up-slope unit can trace a LOS across an up-slope hexside of its hex to a lower elevation (i.e. across a hill crest line)…"

- However, rule Ctr 6.2 says "A Location (underline mine) whose hex contains >= one slope hexside is either up-slope or down-slope to LOS drawn across that hexside to or from that hex". Now, the ground level of a building is clearly a different Location than L1 of the same hex, so it seems that a unit in a building upper level (i.e. L1, L2, etc) can never be upslope or down slope.

- If true that a unit in an upper building level can't be up slope or down slope, then it would seem that regular LOS rules (A6) take precedence. In that case, with a crest line 10 hexes away, from A6.42 there would normally be 2 blind hexes from a higher level firer. Then since the unit in L1 of the building is effectively at Level 1.75 (L0 at Level 0.75 and L1 is 1 level above that), that means it has > 1 level advantage over the crest line, which reduces the number of blind hexes to 1.

- This seems to mean the unit at L1 cannot see the moving unit while a hypothetical unit at L0 can see it because up-slope. This seems to make no sense, but I'm having a hard time parsing the actual rules wording. Are we supposed to ignore the word "Location" in the up-slope/down-slope rules? That is, are all building levels considered to be up-slope and not just L0? That would at least make LOS seem consistent in this case.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Slopes don't change rules A6.41-.43, as per CtR6.3. Basically, ignore the slope for the usual purposes of tracing LOS.