SL to ASL BPV conversion

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there online somewhere a Squad Leader to Advanced Squad Leader
Basic Point Value conversion table.

I can't find my GI rules so don't have all the data.

Any pointers? Any Google keyword suggestions?
Thanks

jbulloug

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering about this as well... I guess since this is from 2004 and there were no replies, that this conversion doesn't exist?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't think anyone has tried. It might be possible to reverse engineer the existing ASL values, which are probably fudged a bit anyway. Some things changed from GI to ASL which might make it more difficult. SW were never given a BPV in ASL, they are allocated based on the number of squads in the OOB. Likewise ASL now has a LG based on the size of the OOB.

I seem to recall that BPV weren't provided for US forces in GI, which was a big bone of contention.

Some random comparisons between Cross of Iron and ASL (excluding rarity):

Code:
Vehicle        COI     ASL    Diff
PzKpfw IB       86      30     2.86
PzKpfw IVH     180      73     2.46
PzKpfw VIB     196     105     1.86
T-37(A)         69      25     2.76
T-34/76A(M40)  141      51     2.76
KV-2           154      60     2.56

jbulloug

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Michael. I also wonder if there are any particular ASL AFVs that are close matches to the ones included in SL (not COI/COD/GIA)? That would help me see if there is any correlation between their point cost values. For whatever reason, the terminology in SL differs from that in the later games, maybe they were previously using "slang" names for many of these vehicles whereas COI and later use the "official" names?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Sherman 105 is called an M4M52 in Squad Leader - it took me years to figure out why. I believe the gun mount assembly is an "M52" so the designers called it that. Likewise the M7 Gun Motor Carriage in ASL is called a Priest in SL, because that's what troops called it. The ring mount for the AA .50 cal looked like a pulpit. Let me dig out the numbers.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Code:
SL Vehicle     ASL Vehicle    SL BPV   ASL BPV   Diff
MkIVF2         PzKpfw IVF2      160      72      2.22
MkIVF1         PzKpfw IVF1      130      54      2.41
STGIII         StuG IIIG        140      61      2.30
STGIII(105)    StuH42           150      56      2.68
Brummbar       StuPzIV          200      72      2.78
SdKfz 251      SPW 251/1         90      31      2.90
Here's the German vehicles. You seem to be right, not a single vehicle has the same name. "Mark IV" is definitely Allied terminology. Brummbar(sic) was a nickname as you point out. SPW is Schützenpanzerwagen, German for armoured personnel carrier. Sdkfz is Sonder kraftfahrzeug, literally "vehicle for special purposes" which all AFV and tracked vehicles were designated.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Russians - not sure about the M3. It's included as a halftrack in Squad Leader in both armed and unarmed form. There is no halftrack in ASL, just the M3A1 Scout Car. Not completely sure the values are correct here, I didn't feel like a deep dive into the optional armament rules. It says you add the IFT FP of any optional weapon to the BPV, so I selected the unarmed variant but the figure is still inconsisent with the others, take with grain of salt.

Code:
T-34          T-34 M40        140       51       2.74
SU122         SU-122          145       59       2.45
SU152         SU-152          175       63       2.78
M-3 (ht)      M3A1 (SC)        80       24       3.34

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russians - not sure about the M3. It's included as a halftrack in Squad Leader in both armed and unarmed form. There is no halftrack in ASL, just the M3A1 Scout Car. Not completely sure the values are correct here, I didn't feel like a deep dive into the optional armament rules. It says you add the IFT FP of any optional weapon to the BPV, so I selected the unarmed variant but the figure is still inconsisent with the others, take with grain of salt.

Code:
T-34          T-34 M40        140       51       2.74
SU122         SU-122          145       59       2.45
SU152         SU-152          175       63       2.78
M-3 (ht)      M3A1 (SC)        80       24       3.34
The M-3 (ht) was probably the M5 halftrack (and maybe the M9) made by International Harvester Company to be provided for Lend Lease. This can be found in the British MAVNs in Chapter H. As to BPV in Russian service it's hard to say as though many were provided thru Lend Lease, the Russians tended to use them not as personnel carriers but as prime movers. The closest one could come of the Russian vehicle notes is the SU-57 I believe.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Haven’t all the SL scenarios already been converted to ASL???

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
but to answer your question - yeah, I think all the "official" ones were. I think the next project was doing the 3W scenario packs.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the original SL scenarios have been converted to ASL standards. Jim Stahler was the driving force for the majority of those scenarios
being updated. Thank you very much, Mr Stahler!

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Sdkfz is Sonder kraftfahrzeug, literally "vehicle for special purposes" which all AFV and tracked vehicles were designated.
And of course "SkudKaFizz" is the name of a fizzy drink concocted by Don Greenwood containing Mr.Pibb, aspirin, and laudeneum, to take the edge of editing ASL drafts.

jbulloug

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Michael, thank you for the SL to ASL "similar" tank data (and thanks Eagle4ty for the halftrack info). Personally I prefer the limited assortment of tanks in SL as it simplifies what I need to remember to use these things effectively in battle, but having perused page after page of Chapter H materials for ASL, I can see why having all this information can be compelling!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Michael, thank you for the SL to ASL "similar" tank data (and thanks Eagle4ty for the halftrack info). Personally I prefer the limited assortment of tanks in SL as it simplifies what I need to remember to use these things effectively in battle, but having perused page after page of Chapter H materials for ASL, I can see why having all this information can be compelling!
I'd love to see a tactical game that had generic "tank" counters and focused on the infantry, but it just ain't what people are willing to pay for.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He could have hit the gas to make the infantry eat his dust. Now he's out in front! {Ooops?}