Skulpturny Park

DSRGames

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've roughed out Skulpturney Park to attach to my Schnellhefter Block map. Take a look at the blog and let me know what you think !

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It looks like a military (or concentration :surprise:) camp.
What project does it belong to?

DSRGames

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like a military (or concentration :surprise:) camp.
What project does it belong to?
Its a Stalingrad/40 mapping project I am working on. Currently I've got 2 maps (the aforementioned Schnellhefter Block and this one). I'm on a Quixotic mission of mapping all of Stalingrad in 40 meters a hex. I've been working with it off and on over the last several years, I just finally got around to being able to realize the maps graphically and am able to print it as well.

(for reference these two maps are just west of the Red Barricades and Bread Factories).

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just to let you know I think this is a fantastic project. I will definitely be interested in fooling around with these maps one of these days (maybe to try and do a little SASL campaign).

DSRGames

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to let you know I think this is a fantastic project. I will definitely be interested in fooling around with these maps one of these days (maybe to try and do a little SASL campaign).
Thanks ! Sometimes I think I'm tilting at windmills (roughly it will take over a hundred maps to realize the whole project). But one day I hope to be able to take any part of Stalingrad print it out and play on it. :D

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Very interesting looking maps.
A couple of questions: firstly I assume that you are going to add som variation to the buildings. Can you confirm whether these buildings had gardens/allotments? This can really affect the movement through built-up areas particularly for vehicles
Secondly is the 1-hex wide streets a reflection of reality or a design for effect consideration? I approve of changing the reality to reflect game play since a straight clear road which is only 15 feet wide creates a serious obstacle if there's an MG firing down it and narrow roads (in ASL terms) simply do not reflect this.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Charlie Kibler did a great Skulpturny Park scenario for Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin that I playtested with him once. I can only imagine it would make an interesting ASL situation as well.

DSRGames

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very interesting looking maps.
A couple of questions: firstly I assume that you are going to add som variation to the buildings. Can you confirm whether these buildings had gardens/allotments? This can really affect the movement through built-up areas particularly for vehicles
Secondly is the 1-hex wide streets a reflection of reality or a design for effect consideration? I approve of changing the reality to reflect game play since a straight clear road which is only 15 feet wide creates a serious obstacle if there's an MG firing down it and narrow roads (in ASL terms) simply do not reflect this.
These are things I struggle with, to tell you the truth. There would be a lot of narrow streets, especially between the small houses of the worker's complexes. It has the right "feel" from looking at the pictures I have.

I think making a hex with multiple small buildings in it (making it bypassable) could represent this. The large open streets seem to be about right for the main thoroughfares around the clustered buildings. Those types of buildings could also be rubbled and instead turn into debris instead- representing those 2 empty chimney ruins that are in some pictures.

To represent the "gardens" per se, the tangle around them is easily represented by the multiple building icons (and maybe a few empty hexes with building around them and a fence icon).

I also am going to use a wooden fence icon to represent those wooden fences that seem to be around clusters of Russian buildings (for a look-see at how I intend to make the icon, take a look at my Russian Village Map in the July 4th archive on my blog site)

There is also the fact that I have to mutate the road grid a bit to fit the hex orientation. Since I want all the maps to link, I have to use a common grain.
So much work to do..... :)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Charlie Kibler did a great Skulpturny Park scenario for Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin that I playtested with him once. I can only imagine it would make an interesting ASL situation as well.
Just read over Col. Glantz's account of action the Skuplutry park area- Very close quarters armored battles, with the Russians using dug-in tanks. Might be something that could be done on deluxe boards?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just read over Col. Glantz's account of action the Skuplutry park area- Very close quarters armored battles, with the Russians using dug-in tanks. Might be something that could be done on deluxe boards?
Deluxe Historical Advanced Squad Leader? Has a ring to it.

Make it for the starter kits while you're at it.

DHASLASK.