Skulking variant

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have been playing SASL recently (owned it a long time but only recently decided to give it a spin). This variant adds skulking to defending enemy units which I have found stand their ground too much. Seems to work okay, any more experienced players see any possible pitfalls with it?

SASL skulking variant

ENEMY infantry units with a HOLD attitude given a FIRE command will attempt to skulk if the following conditions are met.

An ENEMY unit has an ADJACENT hex which is out of LOS of all FRIENDLY units and either:
• A FRIENDLY unit could cause the ENEMY at least a NMC with a roll of 7
• ENEMY unit is acquired by FRIENDLY ordinance with a calibre greater than 60mm AND it has HE ammunition available.

If the above criteria is met the ENEMY unit will not PREP fire. It will assault move into a hex location out of LOS of all FRIENDLY units in its MPh. In the APH it will return to its original hex.

EXC. Units unable to assault move, for example due to portage costs, do not undertake a skulking movement and its original FIRE command is used.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I think this should be "situational" and not automatic.

Much better if the Player decides to skulk the Enemy infantry units every time it appears in the best interest of the Enemy side, possibly after a successfull TC.

Otherwise -using your variant- the Friendly side could safely advance a stack of squads ADJACENT to the enemy units, in Open Ground and holding a FT - and be sure the Enemy will not fire during Prep at PB and with -1DRM or better, every time the conditions for skulking are met.

Same if a Friendly tank parks in front of an Enemy MMC LATW equipped and acquires the Enemy MMC with the MA in the Ad Fire PH. The infantry should stay and use the LATW vs the tank, even if acquired and a safe hex is available. No human player would skulk in this situation.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
if you are in "try variants mode" please read this:

Fire Discipline: When the prevailing Enemy Attitude is Hold, any Enemy activated stack will not conduct Defensive First Fire as dictated by 8.61-8.611 - at player discretion- if the only moving Friendly unit is a HS/SMC, and if the Enemy unit having the lower morale in the Enemy stack passes a special Fire Discipline TC. Enemy leadership, if any, applies.

This optional rule should limit/avoid the unrealistic tactic (that would not work against a decent human opponent) of the Friendly player to “soak off” all enemy fire with expendable units to gain total and unopposed freedom of movement.

David Murray

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks eco - I like the Fire Discipline variant - I will try that as it makes a lot of sense and is easy to implement.

As to the skulking variant, I think the automatic self-preservation action would prevent that problem as ADJACENT targets as they will still be fired upon. I think a proviso for LATW armed units would be useful though.

Maybe:

ENEMY MMC armed with a LATW in range of a FRIENDLY vehicle with any functioning weapon will not skulk.