(Skirmish) Soldiers on Landscape

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The first info on putting Skirmish Soldiers into the general game.
Sounds even more now like the "pet soldiers" in Diablo II, excpet you get to dress them up.

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/1825

I was against the Skirmish Soldier idea when it first came up & still am and now putting it in the main game I'm more against it. It's becoming more of a quasi-Solo game & less of a true player Fellowship game with each update.

The "multi-player" aspect (minus raids) is being leeched out and I think the F2P player influx is the reason. The "late comers" are more "gamers" than "Kinship-LotR" type players and since they game solo (or maybe Pugs) the Developers are switching the game to this activity.

Which is strange because I also agree that the content will now be designed harder to accommodate those players who do group up. What were once "just" 2-4 player in a Fellowship will now be 4-8 "adventurers" which is a huge difference in quest difficulty being attempted by solo, 2 & 3 player fellowships who choose NOT to use skirmish soldiers.
Double the adventurers = doubling the difficulty.

Although... I guess they can always put a "option button" in front of EACH quest telling it the number of "players" attempting it- further disrupting any sense of "LotR flow.”

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All I know is that guilds can be a real pain in the butt, and *needing* other people (as opposed to having the option) to run your content can be a roadblock sometimes.

I don't do LOTRO, but in the ones I do play, there has been so much silly guild drama lately that I often just want to crawl into my own little corner and not have to bother with the idjits.

Or, as one of the casualties of the drama put it after her dismissal, "I just logged on to kill some zombies... Instead I got hit with this."

John

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct about the Drama's, the larger the "Kin/guild/clan" the more drama that can happen.

Small tight groups fair much better than "mega-grps" as far as fun and cooperation go.
I found fewer problems in LotRO than other games, well at least in the beginning when the game was filled with Middle Earth fans.

Now that it's F2P I don't know if that still holds true.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This idea is even "worse" than I thought it's ALL, "pay to use."

I thought you got "X" amount of time/uses then if you wanted more time you bought more time but not so. To get your Skirmish Soldier into the "landscape" period you have to buy all the time BY THE HOUR. :nuts:

Talk about a buy your advantage game mechanic. The few comments I've read have all been the same, "I might have tried this but if I have to buy it forget it."

I'm sure Turbine will start giving out "free time" as rewards etc. just to get players hooked but if I need "extra" help on a quest I'll just ask another player...

This entire deal is just a bad idea in my opinion.

View attachment 35748

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just curious, has anyone taken advantage of this and brought their skirmish soldier into the "landscape" to help them yet?

I have BUT, just at my Kinship house for free: they wander around the yard & inside the house following me around. ("Yipiee!") :rolleyes:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just curious, has anyone taken advantage of this and brought their skirmish soldier into the "landscape" to help them yet?

I have BUT, just at my Kinship house for free: they wander around the yard & inside the house following me around. ("Yipiee!") :rolleyes:
I never did figure out how this was supposed to work, or get it to do much of anything.