SK Style Map Board Issues

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Is there a common problem with the SK map boards with tearing/separating along the fold?

I ask because I have bought a number of packs, bundles, etc. in the last year to get caught up the maps that are in print. I noticed today that 12a/b has cracked(outer layer) along the outside bend. So, far as I know I have not used this map yet but I have opened it a couple of time when checking out scenarios.

I also noted some of the maps have a double 'score' on the reverse side that seems to help with the fold, while others do not.

I have taken all the SK style maps and placed them flat in the hope that this will protect the fold. Storing these maps folded does not seem wise.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I store my boards flat in the box that came with the first box set. I put tape on the cardboard to reinforce it.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Is there a common problem with the SK map boards with tearing/separating along the fold?
No.

Storing these maps folded does not seem wise.
A bold statement to make when you have observed one board experiencing a problem. Personally I have well over 100 such boards (including many duplicates and third-party issues) and keep them all folded and have seen no such problems. Of course you should store your boards in whatever way suits you, but personally I would find storing all of the boards unfolded to be quite difficult due to space issues.

(It should be noted that MMP has, over the last decade, presumably made use of a few different printers when issuing new boards and re-issuing older ones; it's possible that some printers, or at least some individual print runs, have made use of poorer materials than others?)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Ok, Gents, thanks for the input. I'll use some clear tape over the flaking on the 12a side and store it flat to prevent any further wear on scoring.

Bruce,.... a problem is a problem but I'll keep them stored flat unless needed for travel. That, or I'll contrive some means transporting them flat, perhaps light wooden case

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Ok, Gents, thanks for the input. I'll use some clear tape over the flaking on the 12a side and store it flat to prevent any further wear on scoring.

Bruce,.... a problem is a problem but I'll keep them stored flat unless needed for travel. That, or I'll contrive some means transporting them flat, perhaps light wooden case
I'm in the same boat as Australian Pitman, my boards have been stored folded and without issue. But if you can afford the space to fold them flat, if nothing else, it just helps you keep them sitting flat on the table.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I picked up something like this (only 1 though) for around $6.00. It works great and I store it under my bed. It'll hold around 100 boards flat but the double wide boards have to stay folded.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
View attachment 13231
I picked up something like this (only 1 though) for around $6.00. It works great and I store it under my bed. It'll hold around 100 boards flat but the double wide boards have to stay folded.
Not bad - for underbed storage, you can also find plastic underbed storage as well, with clear lids and wheels on them - I keep old picture frames in mine. Pretty sure I got it at Walmart.